TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 is the tmj realy tms ? help!!!!!!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  23:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i had splint treatment with 20% help but i am still suffering.

Edited by - donia on 12/12/2006 23:46:28
Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  23:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] Am I thinking logically here? I wish I had never started seeing the TMJ dentist in the first place because now I have all this misinformation to battle.

chingborden

me too i wish the same because my tmj induced yes it is by the tmj doctor he thought i have it and statrted treating me with a splint till i got the neck ,shoulder ,ear pain plus everyting come with the tmj as apackage which include all the dizzeness, vertigo,headache skull tightness neck pain and everything else related plus the treatment increased the herianation in my neck to be larger after few weeks from starting the splint treatment to push the jaw froward and down to change the position and here i am i gotttttttttt the tmj officialy , now after all these months from fighting the pain with using the splint treatment and after that tried treating myself without it as a mindbody work but both ways did not help to make me normal or pain free again.
so i think tmj is tms and not tms as the same time i mean it can be tms with the first sign u can ignore and try to treat it as tms but if the doctor start to treat u and u asked for help from help and after starting messing the area by pushing the jaw and play with your teeth and this kind of tmj tratment u will not be able to treat as tms case but may be u can benefit from tms theory somehow but not full help so it is the most complicated pain to deal with because it is related to a lot of things like how your teeth meet together or your bad bite and where is your joint is it far back? or dislocated also involve the muscles which is the hardest to treat mine now is muscles related after the doctor fixed the jiont position from far back position to normal position but my muscles did not like the new position of the joint so it went into painfull spasm and chronic pain all these months and i can not get them back to normal pain free state till now so it is very complicated problem u can not know the outcome from the treatment it is making me wish to die everday and i can not imagine i will be like that for the rest of my life. i am just wondering how to deal with it as(as is case).
thanks

Edited by - donia on 12/12/2006 23:43:23
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  08:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please don't be disheartened about having misinformation to battle against. Try to think of it differently. You aren't under obligation to believe it. Your mind is capable/flexible enough to 'believe' that TMJ is really TMS in spite of info in it to the contrary. Just because you've been given some info (wrong/right) doesn't mean you're doomed to have that in the back of your mind always. I know its difficult.

chingborden, by minor issues, did you mean the jaw pain, which is only occasional? and the more bothersome the neck pain, headaches and dizziness? I think what might be useful also is another approach. Don't fight your mind (though this is useful at times too), but just let the jaw pain be. Just don't allow yourself to be scared that it is there. After all, TMS pain, though excuciating, is harmless. So just try to tell yourself, about the jaw "its just a bit of pain, and I can take it". (When I had a recurrence of jaw pain after finding out about TMS, this is how I overcame it). About the more bothersome symptoms, try thinking about when they started, and what was going on in your life which could have given rise to them. The thinking that the minor TMJ issues are causing them I think is the product of your mind taking everything you know/have heard about TM*J*, and creating symptoms plausible enough to distract you with, and make you believe could be real. Again, it may help to just *laugh* at your mind (not in a bad way, I just mean be good-humored about what your mind is doing), and not fight it.

At my worst, along with the jaw pain, I had horrible eye pain, so that I couldn't stand light, and sat for most of the day in the dark clutching my head in my hands. This went on for over 2 months! I can almost not ****ing believe that it was harmless pain, given how excruciating it was. I was even prescribed glasses....which of course I have no use for now. I also had vertigo/dizziness for a couple of nights. TMJ is just a label...everything in that area causing unexplained pain is put under it. Recite this to yourself when the pain occurs, tell yourself its only harmless pain, not a sign of anything wrong. Also, when you feel pain, think about all the emotional things that happened to you around the time these symptoms cropped up. Did you do that in an earlier post? Sorry, I might have missed it.

ndb

p.s. do you still really beleive what you have written in your profile..."vertigo made worse by.."? Just wanted to relate, taht at some point, my dad sent me to see a 'physical therapist' whose abilities I ddin't really trust in, but I felt obligated to see 'cause my dad said so. Anywway, afetr the second session, I came down with terrible neck pain. For a long time, I thought it was because of something he did (not without reason, he did some very rough stuff, it seemed to me then). But after learning about TMS, it seems so obvious it was the stress of having to see him, though I didn;t want to, and the stress of living with my parents at the time. So please examine possible emotional causes for the vertigo. Your body can withstand quite a bit, and though it may seem to you bad adjustments could cause vertigo, do you *really* have any reason to think so, i.e. do you know what causes vertigo, and that your chiropractor set whatever that is off? No! So why not look for alternate reasons???

Edited by - ndb on 12/13/2006 08:14:50
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donia.

Your history experience of TMJ treatment with TMS and Splint (LVI approach in my case) etc is 99% similar to mine. I definitely think that the dentist just messed the whole thing by playing with the teeth and the jaw position which in turn made the tmj condition very difficult to heal with the TMS approach after. In fact it did create a new terrain for TMS to grow because of the invasiveness of the dental treatment. My strategy to heal is now is the following

1)Baseline treatment with the TMS approach for the emotional aspect inducing ischemia to the neck and jaw , ear , eye areas.

2)Hanna somatic education to deal with the sensory motor amnesia that comes with the fact that my muscles are in spasms for 18 months now. Somatic education address the conditionning aspect of TMS that SArno always talk about but without proposing any solution to overcome it.

3)when the the muscle will be relaxed, the sensory motor amnesia eradicated, and the condition more or less stabilized, I am considering a new splint treatment approach that is more conservative than the LVI approach in regards to the jaw repositionning because my teeth just touch on one side of my jaw and I definitely believe that an even occlusion will add to the jaw stability which is something desirable anyways. It is also proven beyond doubt that the teeth occlusion and the jaw position has a key funbdamental role in the whole proprioception of the entire body so it can induce postural asymetries very easily and then a new terrain for TMS to install itself... even if postural asymetries are usually mostly benign themselves...

Ppl will think on this forum that my approach is still wayyy too much focused on the physical ... but I dont think so. I just think that the best approach to treat chronic pain is the most holistic one and not the most dogmatic one ... Sarno is a genius, not doubt about it, TMS approach helped me to gain back my life pretty much ... and I think it will continue to help me heal even if I am not very religious about it.

P.

Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  10:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HELP!!

I'm in such extreme pain that I am battling a desire for Vicodin, which makes it better but which I know I should not be taking longterm. I've already taken so much Tylenol that I can actually feel my liver squirming and have zits and weird skin stuff.

My TMJ all started with massive dental work. I went to Costa Rica to get my bonded front teeth replaced with veneers. They were ugly horse teeth, so I didn't accept them, and came back with new bonding. This started quickly chipping. After a couple of ghastly dentists I met a good one, with integrity, who spent weeks making models and planning how to redo my mouth so it wouldn't all chip again. I trusted him and it ended up involving 16 teeth getting crowns and veneers - it is like buying a car although he charged less than most in my area.

Since the first 8 hour surgery to put in the temporaries I have been unable to eat and experiencing tremendous pain - both muscle pain radiating from my jaw to my eyes and throat, chest and stomach, and ALSO nerve pain in the teeth. Eating puts me into suicidal pain mode, so I have been drinking my food for 2 months.

I have had the 2nd 8 hour surgery to put in the new teeth. They look good, but I am still in pain and can't eat. Tomorrow I am getting a custom-made night guard.

The dentist has worked on adjusting the bite to try to stop the TMJ pain but with no luck.

My problem is that this appears to have been a direct result of dentistry. Yet the shape of my face has changed - literally become straighter. My jaw was a bit off to one side since I went through a BIG trauma 3 years ago with divorce + several other life devastastions. It was as though I was holding my grief in my jaw - I could see it on video.

So I am trying to work with this as opportunistic TMS. But the level of pain and inability to eat are practically ruining my life. I have lost a lot of weight (and it's at the edge where that isn't a good thing!). What works is f***g codeine, but I don't want to take it. I've been trying different cocktails of drugs to literally get me through the night.

I've also done a lot of emotional release around my jaw, facilitated by fellow therapists. It seems as though there is a lot of rage and sadness in there. But a couple of hours after a good cry (or roar!) I am back in pain again.

Help! Can anyone advise me here? I am at wits' end.

xxx

Love is the answer, whatever the question

Edited by - Wavy Soul on 12/17/2006 12:51:43
Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  23:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wavy Soul

HELP!!

So I am trying to work with this as opportunistic TMS. But the level of pain and inability to eat are practically ruining my life.

are talking about me?! u know the problem is that it is not easy to explain to the others while they do not know it or heard about this tmj problem at all .
what i can say is continue trying the splint therapy at least for 3 months straight and if did not work try another doctor because every one has his own treatment way, yes this the problem and also finding the right doctor is the key and the big problem too i am still searching for one.
at the same time work with your tms (tmj) problem i know it is hard and very long process but what else we can do it is our fate to fight this big problem in our small tmj atea.
i started to try the cold laser therapy treatment and i will start again a physical therapy for the jaw,neck and shoulder area but i do not put too much hope on this.
keep searching for the answer we will find it by the god willing soon.

Edited by - donia on 12/17/2006 23:20:01
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  02:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update. Talked to the dentist. He said these muscle spasms are normal after surgery, although he hasn't seen anyone in as much pain as me (nor has he had anyone need 16 teeth operated on), but has gotten everyone through it with time. He gave me the night guard and I felt some relief immediately. At least I am off the Vicodin, but am now (in middle of night) in great pain and have taken Ativan to relax muscle spasm (or I could shoot myself!).

But I can feel that there is a definite improvement when I wear my mouth guard.

So I feel that it's a mixture of tms and tmj. I actually didn't expect the mouth guard to help as much as it does, and I can therefore now imagine things gradually getting better and better back to normal. I am more relaxed about it. So I will be healed in time.

This much pain is meaning I'm not going to England to see mum for xmas. I know that tms isn't particularly about secondary gain, but I am suddenly very relieved to have a week to rest and just BE.

I got Sarno's videos in the mail and am watching them. I have been tuning in to my emotions when the pain comes and there is a lot of crying and growling about the same old same old (but not insignificant) recent stuff.

love to all

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000