TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 OK so I spoke to Sarno on the phone this morning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

redskater

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  08:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Holly, just because you had never heard of foot neuroma doesn't mean you can't develop a pain there. I'd never heard of anyone having tailbone pain and I developed it. It too was TMS. I think there are just places in the body that are good trigger points for pain. I've got a nerve on the top of one foot that is causing me intermittent pain, I'm in skating boots a good part of the day, why not the other foot? I had a bout a couple of weeks ago where it felt like knives in my ribs, transfered back and forth. Our brain just finds spots. I've quit trying to figure out the why and the where and do the work.

I hope for your sake it isn't anything serious. Hopefully the MRI will give you peace of mind whatever it is. I don't believe that you can just expect everything that happens to us to be TMS but boy the likelyhood seems pretty high is TMS prone people. Our brains are really smart at it.

Good luck.

Gaye
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  11:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
why not the other foot?

That's exactly the kind of question that has been really key to my recovery. Why is our pain asymmetrical when there's nothing hugely asymmetrical about what we do? Why is the pain one place and not another? Most TMS pain truly doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

Holly, I really am not clear why you're so concerned about the neuroma. One common treatment path for a neuroma is to not irritate it and hope it goes away on its own:

quote:
From the Mayo Clinic site:
Your doctor will likely recommend trying conservative approaches first. This may include resting your foot, changing to better-fitting shoes and taking over-the-counter medications to reduce inflammation and relieve pain.

If that's the case, trying TMS theory on it can't hurt. Your level of concern is quite severe given that this is something normally treated with things you're already doing. It makes me suspect the gremlin.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  23:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting topic for me; the question of how to differentiate TMS from a "real" injury. I think that in making this choice we are on highly speculative ground, especially for conditions that SEEM so physical and fit all the symptoms of a physical condition.

I was just thinking about it today re: the shoulder pain I have had for the past several months. I had the same thing two yrs ago and after 4-5 months it went away. Then, I assumed it was a rotator cuff injury and got appropriate care (PT, exercises...). But when I reinjured it a few months ago I tried to view it instead as TMS. Well, while serving to calm my anxiety about it, this strategy hasn't done much for ridding me of the problem. So now I'm thinking, maybe this is a REAL injury. It has all the hallmarks of real. If I look at the symptoms of rotator cuff injury, they're all there. And I know it tends to flare up a day or so after lifting wts. If I don't lift, the problem fades away. Conditioning? Maybe. Somehow I don't think so.

Here's my theory: I think I have a real injury that may have some TMS components to keep it alive. This middle view feels comfortable to me because it is logical and flexible. Neither view by itself makes sense, but together they do.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  07:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's my theory: I think I have a real injury that may have some T
quote:
Originally posted by wrldtrv

This is an interesting topic for me; the question of how to differentiate TMS from a "real" injury. I think that in making this choice we are on highly speculative ground, especially for conditions that SEEM so physical and fit all the symptoms of a physical condition.
MS components to keep it alive. This middle view feels comfortable to me because it is logical and flexible. Neither view by itself makes sense, but together they do.

We are on the same page for sure. You know when I don't irritate the spot (wearing anything that presses there or more than sneakers ) it's starts subsiding, not gone but subsiding. Could very well be I am just being impatient and not giving it enough time for sure to get better. There main reason for the MRI is just a test to help see for myself what's if anything is even there or not . Unfortunitly from a forum like this for neuromas inflicted people they don't just usually go away just like that. That is what is getting me worried. If I know it can eventually just go away (and it might) then I would be calmer.
I will try not to let the train run away just yet though!!

Edited by - holly on 11/22/2006 07:30:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  08:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holly

My gut instinct is it is a small neuroma. Hopefully I am wrong.

OK, so what will you differently if the MRI shows it is a neuroma? Stretching? Physical therapy? Anti-inflammatories? Ice? Heat?

What is it about the word neuroma that is so scary? Why is it that if an MRI shows a little something that it has to cause pain?

Anyway, I think I made my point. TMS-prone people need to spend their lives being careful not to feed the gremlin.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  09:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's seems your well on your way to foot surgery. You are ignoring one of the fundamentals of TMS, imaging, x-rays, mri's ct's all turn up normal anomalies. Nobody on the planet has a perfect skeleton. No doubt your foot doctor will point out a "bumpy cloudy thingy". If he's hungry he will recommend surgery. If not, and your pain persists, you will seek out more foot doctor opinions until one surgicaly resonates.

All I can tell you is the people I've known who've had foot surgery go around for a very long time wearing very unattractive post-surgical ortho-footies and bandages for weeks. They have a very long post surgical recovery and are in much visible pain. The funny thing is that before their foot surgery I would NEVER have known they had any foot pain. They were in much more visible pain after their surgery.

I've known several foot doctors over the years including one who was a professor at a foot college, that I visited. I never thought of them as real docs, more like chiros.

You've already got a history of surgery, putting breast plants in then taking them out. This foot thing is all connected to your desire to wear hi-heels. I would certainly not put myself through all the possible negative outcomes of undergoing the knife for something so un-important, staph infections, severed nerves, drop-foot. Before you go through the surgical approach you better carefully review all the negative outcomes that could occur.

If this puts a dampner on a surgical solution--I SURE HOPE SO. This is the TMS board, what would anyone expect? What I can't fathom is you have been a patient of Dr. Sarno's and once the Good Doctor takes you on, he takes responsiblity for you for life, inviting and encouraging calls for any new symptoms. Why don't you see him first rather than last? A lot of us here would be thrilled to have him as our primary celestial doctor.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  11:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tt I don't plan on foot surgery. don't/didn't want it. looks like i probably won't get the ins. co. to go for the MRI. Didn't get the final "No" yet but it doesn't look promising. I am not getting worse either and would certianly give it some more time anyway to see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly.... can I trade my bilateral, constant, stinging, burning, muscle twitching, molten fire, scratchy glass in legs, pins and needles, shooting pain in penis, cramps in calves, stinging in my arse........for your foot neuroma? I promise I will go and play football,basketball,go surfing,and skydiving all in one day. PLEASE????
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  19:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if the MRI comes back and the doctor says, "I recommend surgery otherwise you will always have foot pain", you will forego the surgery?
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  06:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tt remember that I am the one asking for the MRI not some podiatrist. It became my idea only after Sarno asked me if I had one done determining that I have a neuroma. Since I didn't have anything besides what the first podiatrist diagnosed Sarno on the phone immediatly dismissed it as TMS. I could of called Sarno with anything and it would of been dismissed as TMS. I think just about any past patient that calls him he would say "TMS"! That's his job to say that to a TMS prone patient. The only procedure that I might consider is this new in office cryotherapy where they actually freeze the nerve. It is suppose to work very well. I would never go thru surgery for this. I did see a 2nd. podiatrist who is the only one around here trained to preform Cryo who actually told me to wait, that it might just go away because it was from one time trama. So I would wait either way. It seems that this is a common problem that once the neuroma is removed or now even better frozen the pain goes awzy for good. Things can possibly happen, even to us TMS inflicted ones!

PS: for Kevin.. I guess you have given me something to be thankfull for today! Things could always be alot worse I guess! lol

Happy Thanksgiving all

Edited by - holly on 11/23/2006 06:46:20
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  09:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thouough explanation Holly. For every procedure that is invasive to the body there may be downsides. Cryo sounds like point specific frost-bite. Sarno says your pain is TMS/tendon, the podiatrist says it's a nerve. You've got a difference of opinion there. Which is it? Which doc is right? Is it a tendon or is it a nerve? A good car mechanic can come up with a better dx than that.

A new procedure, huh? Because it's new it must be good?--bad idea. People keep throwing articles at me about two inch hip-replacement incisions. Now another hip procedure, "resurfacing" the acetabulum rather than amputating the ball of the femur. This procedure has just been approved by the FDA and the English doc from Birmingham who developed it has performed over 2000. If I weren't a TMS'er, I would be sold on this procedure after reading the glowing article I was handed. He's the doc I would want IF I would ever think of doing anything surgical.

That nerve in your foot was put there by the celestial archetect for a reason and you want to freeze it to death so you can wear high-heels. It seems thats's takeing a big risk for very little functioning in return; what if you get gangrene?--and your foot has to be amputated, that wouldn't be very attractive.

Dr. Sarno does not say everything is TMS! About 80% of what people are in the waiting room for is TMS. The Good Doctor is one of the few docs on the planet who has the years of clinical experience to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Holly, have the negative things that can happen from the cryo been explained to you? If so what are they?

Don't look for support for surgery here, this is the TMS board.

Happy Thanksgiving,
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 11/23/2006 15:22:43
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  19:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok tt. I will try to make some more time to read the new book. maybe, hopefully I will get somewhere.(because this is nowhere!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000