TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 foot neuroma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  06:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't you rather have something that turnes out to be TMS than something real?? I would be much happier dealing with TMS. Once I am convienced it is TMS I feel pretty confident that I can take care of it.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyg

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  06:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hilary--no need to apologize, every once in a while I feel the need to do a snippy post--which is also self indulgent-and yours was good fodder. This is a serious topic that deserves serious posts. My grandmother (now deceased) had such horrible looking mangled feet from her shoes that I don't know how she even was able to walk. There are clearly some things that people should not do to themselves and bad shoes is one of them.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew2000

40 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  13:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi .. took me awhile to get over my fear, but eventually I went back to wearing the shoes. No problems now. Also went back to wearing all the shoes I'd put away the year prior when I had plantar fasciitis. All this stuff passes, it just takes patience, of mind and spirit to stay with it.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  14:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly, to be honest, I’m not sure one can say categorically that one thing is TMS and another isn’t. TMS doctors will say it, but I’m not sure if there are any clear-cut criteria and I think they may have different opinions among themselves.

Very often it’s possible to find a “physical” cause for something (food intolerances are a good example), yet one can treat it successfully with the TMS approach.

You may find a neuroma with ultrasound or MRI or whatever, but does that prove it’s not TMS?

I basically treat anything as TMS. Obviously if it’s something potentially life-threatening or disabling, or just too painful to bear, then I’ll take the physical route – but that doesn’t exclude me from having a go at the TMS simultaneously (if I have the energy, which I may not do if in pain – but even then I can still put that thought/possibility at the back of my mind).

Andrew, that’s great to hear!

Johnny, yes, pretty awful. (I was also going to suggest: you should try the nerdy wimp look some time – you might get surprised! )

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  15:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quoting HilaryN:

"I basically treat anything as TMS. Obviously if it’s something potentially life-threatening or disabling, or just too painful to bear, then I’ll take the physical route – but that doesn’t exclude me from having a go at the TMS simultaneously (if I have the energy, which I may not do if in pain – but even then I can still put that thought/possibility at the back of my mind)."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Hilary,

That's a great summary of TMS. It has to do with taking personal responsibility for one's mindbody health, in essence, primary responsibilty for one's life--If we are not for us who will be?

Edited by - tennis tom on 12/07/2006 15:17:08
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  13:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I liked your post on p.1 of this thread about accidents and colds. I thought that was very well put.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  17:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I went for the ultrasound the radiologist said that 75% of the time they don't(or can't see) a neuroma. My foot recently started feeling like improvement this past week also. I knew they wouldn't find anything after she said that especially since my foot was starting to feel better. It is still there(whatever it is)but not so bad. Maybe there is no neuroma there persay but just some inflamation from the incident that just needs some time to subside like the 2nd podiatrist said. I am very impatient, I know. I have noticed that when I stick a pad in the fromt of my boot or shoe it seems to make the difference of whether my foot is going to end up hurting or not. It seems to really make the difference for whatever that is worth (or not). placebo? ( Dunno )
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  19:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am jumping in on this one....Hi Holly..I see you are still here with your neuroma. I still have mine and can tell you this much: when I try to go to church and wear a shoe that isn't a clog or a tennis shoe or sandal my toe just starts clicking away. Does your neuroma "click" like your toe is dislocating? THAT is a true sign of a neuroma....rarely do you need an MRI to identify it.
I am still running and sometimes when my toe is completely numb but I feel like my leg strangth could keep me going all day it angers me to no end.I know that adds to the problem but man..it's frustrating having to go home from a TOE. Not breathing hard, not tired legs, not even a DEAD battery on my MP3...just a numb toe throwing off my gait.
GRRRR.
Andrew I also suffer from PF (on and off for 5 years) but mine presents itself as a burning pain and prickling when it flares up...no nerve damage just inflammation. I know your battle too.
I am slowly making my way through my emotional junk and would love any suggestions on a work book or way to do this??
Funny how the PF FLARES up when I argue with my spouse or am having a high axniety day.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
C
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  14:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chunter hi! Well I think I can get by with putting a small pad in front like I said. Try Puma Mostro Mesh or ripstop sneakers(unfortunitly now discontinued of course) They are shaped where they flare out by the pinky toes and really don't compress at all. The newer mostros don't have the great padding inside. I have a whole bunch of these great mostros that are too small on me that are hardly worn (some only once) I was thinking of selling them on ebay as they are invaluable to walk around pain free. People with foot problems really love them but can't buy them anymore. I have almost every color in size 10 which suddenly was too small. (these run small) I bought some bigger ones now and even use them in the gym on the machines! Michelle K charm sport shoes/sneakers are my newest find and are great. I noticed just trying on a shoe even slightly not right starts it going. So is it TMS or not?? The click you describe is key to positive diagnose of a neuroma. I don't recall having that. get an ultrsound or mri if you can just to make sure so you are not wondering. if you do have one there is something new called cryosurgerywhich is less invasive where they freeze it. Do you have PN too?

Edited by - holly on 12/11/2006 14:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Andrew2000

40 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  19:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrew I also suffer from PF (on and off for 5 years) but mine presents itself as a burning pain and prickling when it flares up...no nerve damage just inflammation. I know your battle too.
I am slowly making my way through my emotional junk and would love any suggestions on a work book or way to do this??
Funny how the PF FLARES up when I argue with my spouse or am having a high axniety day.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

After months of self-reflection, I came to the same conclusion: I saw the connection between when I was having a high-anxiety day to the extent to which the PF flared up ... my suggestions are to: be patient; kind to yourself; remember that the physical pain is just a reflection of emotional upset; and that it will pass if you stay acutely conscious to the issues in your life that might be upsetting to you vs. the physical symptoms.
Don't be afraid to: exercise; assert yourself to your spouse or boss or whomever it is that you feel a resentment/anger/ toward; and trust that you have the ability to make a positive change.
I was so frustrated by the PF, I thought it would never go away ... but it did.
There's no magic cureall: for me personally, journaling didn't help, and I'm not the type who can keep reading and re-reading Sarno over and over again ... that to me can also be a distraction from confronting the inner stuff head-on.
I read each of his books once, and got the message. I knew the rest was up to me. It takes a leap of faith to believe that the physical symptoms will pass, and I believe that the leap of faith is believing in yourself.

Edited by - Andrew2000 on 12/12/2006 19:21:40
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  19:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrew that sounds like me too. I read and get the message pretty much the first time and apply myself according to the message I got.
What were your symptoms of PF and did they flare up when you were anxious?
Thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew2000

40 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  15:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: symptoms ... have learned that this board is in general better used for constructive suggestions rather than an elaboration of what a specific symptom feels or felt like ... hope you understand ... I can say though, that the symptoms I experienced were really bothersome, and led me to a podiatrist, who in turn gave me 3 cortisone shots over a series of a couple of weeks, which I ultimately realized did not help ... The only thing that helped was a leap of faith.

Edited by - Andrew2000 on 12/14/2006 15:59:03
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  09:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
strange that as my neuroma area is feeling somewhat better now my pinky toes are starting in again. Either it is TMS or that is just how foot problems go??? The pinky toe problem is always there but had really calmed down there for awhile. i know it all sounds so "TMSie" to you all( and to me too) but somehow I still just don't really think so. I think I will know soon somehow.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  07:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well I just got approved for the MRI. My foot seems to be very slowly getting better. I am going to take the MRI anyway just to document in my mind that there is no neuroma and this will go away. I don't think I have one anymore as it seems to get better week by week and I am pretty sure I had strained some tendons with the "shoe day". Anything that will take away any lingering doubt has got to help. My middle toe still gets electrified when I try a different shoe then what I am accustomed to. I did find some cool soft privo sandles yesterday all lined with sheepswool top and bottoms (ahhhhhhhh) for my Feb. cruise. yeah!!!!!

Edited by - holly on 12/29/2006 07:20:51
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  19:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please post what you find in the mri..I will be intereste to see.
Have fun in Feb!!!
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  06:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find out my MRI results today. I am pretty sure they will not find a neuroma. I think I just hurt my tendons which just take a long time(especially at age 49) to resolve. I don't think it is TMS but just a trauma to the area just as the 2nd podiatrist predicted. Now what I do want to say (and was thinking about this yesterday) is that the first Podiatrist right away declared "neuroma" and it sure had the look of one. He should have said possible neuroma. I think most (not all) of the medical community along with(most not all) of the FDA approvals (another story not for here) is a farce to tell you the truth. I will post back later when I get the MRI results. I am pretty sure that first Podiatrist just jumped to a conclusion hence making me crazy. As close as it did seem & feel as a "neuroma" the second podiatrist I saw afterwards listened and analized the situation with much more "listening" and I am sure he was right on the money and advised me wisely telling me to wait on Cryotherapy for it. Pick your doctors with care my friends!!

Edited by - holly on 01/04/2007 06:50:16
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  06:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok ...No neuroma as I suspected. Sometimes we actually just hurt ourselves and it takes some time to get better especially with tendond and ligaments. It is not TMS automatically everytime. So this chapter is over as far as I am concerned! I still have some symptoms but they are diminishing day by day as they should .

Edited by - holly on 01/05/2007 06:45:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000