TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 foot neuroma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  06:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't know! the top of my foot where he injected the supposed neuroma is bothering me still, especially when it gets pressed against. I am having a bit of a problem wondering did I get a so-called neuroma? Is there even really such thing as one(according to Sarno) or if I did have one it is just still inflammed? Too confusing for me now and I consider myself an expert on TMS!!! I am stumped and that's bothering me. The neck, back, leg and shoulder are easy ones but this stumps me. According to Sarno everything is TMS! Where do we draw the line???? If there are neuromas that people can get why does that automatically mean that mine automatically has to be TMS????

Edited by - holly on 11/06/2006 06:09:16
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  09:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was giving this foot neuroma some time and feeling like "it " was getting somewhat better though definitly not gone. If I didn't harass my foot with shoes etc. it felt like it was slowly healing. I had a funeral service to go to and put on a pair of shoes (not high) but a bit too pointy for my problem at hand to supposingly be wearing and badda bing I flared it up again!! I am extremly pissed off at myself! I haven't been reading the newest book yet but either there is such thing a thing as a foot neuroma or there isn't! Which is it because if there is such a thing I think I just have one!! I am back to squre one and fed up. I think I just really do have a foot neuroma. Why is should that so unheard of??? I really need belp with this one guys! Is it so improbable??????
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  01:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having pain. It has to be frustrating trying to figure out if it's TMS or a neuroma. I personally don't question whether there is such a thing as neuromas; I think there are situations that can cause nerve inflammation and that the inflammation can lead to pain and/or numbness. I think the question is whether it seems logical to you or not that the shoes you wore and the amount of time that you wore them could lead to a neuroma, or if it seems more logical to you that your unconscious could be behind the problem.

There's an article about foot problems in the December Reader's Digest that says, "Neuromas can be caused by bones rubbing up against the nerves due to shoes that squeeze the foot or a deformity in bone structure." It recommends avoiding tight shoes and suggests cortisone injections. Did the cortisone injection you got before make a difference in your pain?

Have you been able to relate the pain to any emotional situation? If it seems like TMS is involved, could the funeral have been a trigger? Not that you should respond to these questions, they're just intended to help you analyze whether a psychological explanation or a physical explanation would seem more logical to you.

Hope you'll be feeling better soon!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  09:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are citaions for foot issues in THE DIVIDED MIND.

Look in the index under the word:

"feet: pain in,":

18, 38, 164-166, 261, 301, 356, 358, 362
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Holly,
I had a period of time where i had pain in the arch of my right foot..I was still in Vegas contemplating the move here to NY..I thought it was the orthodics and so i took them out..Probably a coincidence that the pain eventually went away..I think it was TMS on the run..It can take MANY forms..It has travelled in my body from head to toe..IN Dr. Sarno's lecture tapes he even says..you can pain/symptoms anywhere from the top of your head to the tip of your toes! Mine got better on it's own and I believe yours will as well!
God bless,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  22:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The neuroma I talked about several weeks ago is gone. I haven't even thought of it until I saw this post.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  07:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Neuromas can be caused by bones rubbing up against the nerves due to shoes that squeeze the foot or a deformity in bone structure." It recommends avoiding tight shoes and suggests cortisone injections. Did the cortisone injection you got before make a difference in your pain?

the shot helped a little. I think it was starting to go away slowly and then I screwed things up trying to wear those shoes. I think this just is a neuroma and it is just going to take alot of time to go away. hopefully they eventually do dissapear for good. I will just have to watch what I put on my feet(uhhhhh)and that is that. The exact spot of where this neuroma hurts is exactly where these neuromas are located on the top of my foot. I never even knew about them or where they would be located before going to the podiatrist for diagnoses. The problem is that many times people never get rid of them and this is what really concerns me. I will try to think positive on this one!!

PS: and to Rick I think just by being a guy it helps alot because you would not be wearing heels or to narrow shoes on the front of your foot to inflame it again. Makes sense right???

PSS: I do realise that TMS after the fact can set in with something like this situation but I doubt that this is the situation this time. time will tell I guess.

Edited by - holly on 11/19/2006 07:45:16
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  09:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I never even knew about them or where they would be located before going to the podiatrist for diagnoses. The problem is that many times people never get rid of them..."

=

THE NOCEBO EFFECT
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  07:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow is the day I am going for an ultrasound to see if they find a neuroma. Since I last posted it seems to slowly feel better as long as I don't put on certian shoes. I wanted an MRI but the Ins. Co. would only go for an ultrasound of the area. I am not happy about that as I am worried the rubbing of that procedure(ultrasound) will inflame the area and was hoping for the MRI.
I am amazed since I last posted how many women have had a "neuroma" problem and actually had it removed and are now fine. I feel that just because I had TMS in the past doesn't mean I am automatically "excluded" from having something real forever. I would love for this to be just TMS but my gut just say's "no". let's see what shows tomorrow. I think this will be pretty much a cut and dry finding as it is a very obvious find diagnostically. I still wouldn't get surgery and would try other things instead if that's the case but I really hope they don't find anything. If nothing shows( I should be that lucky) then that will help to do "the mental work needed" to just totally ignor this.

Edited by - holly on 12/03/2006 08:36:44
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  08:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right. Everything is not TMS.

Frankly I don't understand how women can wear some of the shoes that they do. While I think it is completely off base to say the human body was not designed for sitting, I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that the human body was not designed for wearing high heels.

It is unreasonable to expect no consequences when you punish the body.

TMS or not this thing has certainly succeeded in distracting you. Have you noticed your other TMS symptoms are weaker during this time?
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  09:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dave,
the reason i even tried those shoes was because nothing was bothering me very much. the neuropathy in my pinky toes though always still there seemed to have simmered down enough to not be too much of an issue for some time.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  13:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also can’t understand why some women punish themselves by wearing high heels. I consider it to be the modern equivalent of foot-binding albeit not quite as bloody. Apparently Chinese men found women who had stubs for feet attractive because they couldn’t walk properly and it gave them a helpless air. Having asked a couple of men why they find women who wear high heels attractive, the response was pretty much for the same reasons.

Aside from that, though, Holly, I get the sense from your posts that you have a strong need for this not to be TMS. Why is that?

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  16:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillary actually I really wish it is TMS but I just don't think this is that's all. TMS would be much easier for me. Much easier.

P.S. I also want to tell everyone that I walk around in sneakers 99% of my life so if any of you are picturing someone having the desire to look like a street walker in heels you have me all wrong. It would just be nice to be able to get dressed and go out like any other ordinary woman in a pair of nice boots or shoes. Men just can't understand this concept. They automatically think "street walker" when they picture heels in their minds! Any woman certianly can relate. Sneakers 24/7 just gets frustrating when trying to complete even an ordinary outfit. For you guys out there that ever wore a suit can you picture wearing that with sneakers on an interview??

Edited by - holly on 12/04/2006 16:59:53
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  20:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert on women's shoes, but I know there are a whole lot of shoes with various widths and heel hights that are approprite for formal occasions without having to wear narrow toed high heels.

Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  07:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you wear heels only occasionally then you probably should expect some discomfort as you wear them and maybe for a day or two after. But it would be highly unlikely for a chronic condition to develop.

Acute --> Chronic typically is TMS.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyg

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  10:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I also can’t understand why some women punish themselves by wearing high heels."

The same reason men punish themselves to build manly man bodies. . . . Oh wait, I forgot gorgous women fall all over nerdy wimps--my bad!

How dare we men enjoy a woman in high heels, we are clearly torturing them. Let me apologize for all men.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  14:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

If you wear heels only occasionally then you probably should expect some discomfort as you wear them and maybe for a day or two after. But it would be highly unlikely for a chronic condition to develop.

Acute --> Chronic typically is TMS.

good interesting point. hopefully you are right.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew2000

40 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  19:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year, I went through a really bad time with plantar fasciitis (which is what the podiatrist called it), had cortisone shots, orthodics and nothing helped but a lot of mental work and soul-searching ...
It took me a solid year of focusing on the stuff that was really bothering me (hello? it wasn't the feet after all!) and just when PF went away, low and behold, something that fits all the symptoms of a neuroma started to develop in my right foot ...
Coincidentally -- I had worn a pair of very tight shoes the night before and had danced a lot at a party ... and the next day ... 'there it was' ...
I accepted the pain for a day or two as 'physical' but after that, I started to realize after a few weeks, that maybe it was TMS all over again ...
So I did two things: I re-read the books, focused on every single emotional issue bothering me and forced myself to bring it all out into the open -- family issues, job issues, et al ...
And just to be on the 'safe side' ... I avoided wearing the tight shoes I wore the day before the neuroma came out -- I wore a different pair of shoes every day for a few weeks ...
I'm not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg ... but the neuroma is gone. We're complex beings, but ultimately, I believe that we are led by our minds ...
I'd try and avoid surgery, shots and anything invasive until you're absolutely sure that you've tried every other alternative.
Best of luck ...

Edited by - Andrew2000 on 12/05/2006 19:25:49
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  06:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
andrew just out of curiousity... did you ever put those shoes that you think bothered you on again since and what exactly were your neuroma symptoms??
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  17:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Johnny - I guess I was being overly self-righteous.

Andrew, I also wanted to ask if you were brave enough to wear those shoes again.

I had some new trainers which were giving me pain in my little toe. At first I thought it was the shoes, but I challenged it and the pain promply shifted to the other little toe, so I was onto it then.

Holly, I know you say you want it to be TMS but somehow I'm getting the opposite message from you. I can't put my finger on why.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000