TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Myers Briggs Type?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  06:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of pure curiousity, if anyone has discovered what their Myers Briggs type is, can you share it?

I'm wondering if there is any pattern to the sort of people who get TMS. The Good Doctor says that specific personality types are prone to getting TMS, after all. I suspect that a lot of us are NF (intuitive / feeling) types.

To get the ball rolling, I'm ENFP - variously called an Inspirer, Champion Idealist, Visionary etc. (yes, sounds over-flattering doesn't it!)

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  06:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - I've just found a similar thread from a week or two ago, so I guess ...forget about this one! ;-)

--
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  11:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the link to the similar discussion from February, 2006:

http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1760

Anybody want to continue the discussion here?

Ralph, INFP
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  14:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
INTJ the last time I checked (Introverted iNtuiting Thinking Judging). ("INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest." This last part on improving on things gives me the faint urge to hurl. My old ways are really getting to me lately.) Of course, I took this test about 5 years ago, when I prided myself on how "T" (rather than "F," feeling) I was. Now I'm cultivating my "F" that has been pushed aside (by me and by our society, which prides itself on ignoring our emotional sides) all these years. It would be interesting to take the test again now. I'm also working on becoming more of a "P" person (Perceiving than a "J" person. My husband (also a TMSer but won't admit it) is an INF(P/J). I'm hoping his "F" and "P" will rub off on me. I think they have.

This is a great topic--It would be neat to compile everyone's info and see if we can find a pattern. Does anyone have a link to an online Myers-Briggs test? I'll do a search...

ss
Go to Top of Page

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  14:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the Myers Briggs test I took originally.
It's 72 yes/no questions. I know that the answers aren't always straight yeses or nos, but I think the point is to force you to choose! Either way, the results seem pretty consistent with other tests.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

--
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  14:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took the test again (at the site mentioned by floorten) and I am still INTJ, though the T and J have lessened in strength (now only considered a "moderate" preference). Interesting.

ss
Go to Top of Page

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  15:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a guess, I suspect we'll fall into a few simple groups.

How about the NFPs (like myself) who are often overly sensitive and conscientious feeling-orientated people. We always want to see the *good* in everyone and pride ourselves on being able to see both sides of any argument.

Boy, that's something guaranteed to bring on unconscious rage right there - always feeling that you owe it to people to see their best side, even if they wrong you!

The we've got the TJs - the perfectionist and dutyful ones. These are the ones who get the most of their stress not from reacting to others so much, but as self-imposed high standards.

Any more ideas...? I'm just throwing stuff out here off the top of my head.

--
Robert Anton Wilson

Edited by - floorten on 10/10/2006 15:09:45
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  18:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came up an INFJ this time. Very surprising -- I've always tested as a strong T! I did notice particular questions where in the past I would have put one answer (the T answer), now I am indecisive and sometimes picked the F answer. I also came up a stronger N than I used to -- I am on the boundary between N and S normally because I like things to be concrete but I am also an ideas person. I think the opening of possibilities after TMS has affected that. I also came up less strong on J than before. It's actually kind of freeing, which is interesting, but I guess I've taken that test so many times before and come up the same that I thought I was stuck. Now I seem to be unsticking!

Though I still find that the description of INTJ fits me much better than INFJ. A perfectionist scientist-type, that's been me so far.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

carbar

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  20:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just took the test. Come on now, are these really proven things?

I am familiar with them from the past, but I felt like my answer are changing some since the last time I took it and that makes me question the validity. Also, the yes/no qualities are pretty unforgiving. I tested slight preference for all my qualities except Thinking...so I feel like that was because I am at a point in life development where my answers are shifting...

Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  21:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ISFP....maybe this is the root of my TMS, trying to get a PhD when "Organized education is difficult for the majority of ISFPs, and many drop out before finishing secondary education."
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  22:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
INTP the last time I took it, maybe 10 yrs ago. I'll have to take it again to see if anything has changed (I doubt it).
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  22:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took the test from the link given here. I too wonder how valid it is. Years ago I took much longer versions of the test and on at least a couple of occasions, scored INTP. This time I scored INFJ. I doubt my personality has changed much in the interim. I think personality is generally considered to be one of those stable characteristics; they don't change much thru life. Interesting.
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  00:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As referenced in the previous (February) discussion linked above, here are two other sites that are focused on the Meyer Briggs tests. Whether their versions are different, I don't remember.

http://www.typelogic.com/

http://www.personalitypage.com/home.html

Ralph, INFP

Edited by - ralphyde on 10/11/2006 00:24:25
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  07:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACL, ditto on the T, N/S, and J. I'm the same way and noticed those same changes this time. There were questions that I had to think: "I know I would have answered this way before, but based on my recent choices, I have begun to choose the other option more frequently." I no longer think personality types are rigid. I think we have tendencies in one direction or the other, but I think labling (and seeing) ourselves as something fixed is extremely limiting. Our lives are a process of evolving and unfolding and I wonder if we are ever really one specific thing. Always changing and growing... If I would have been asked about this 5 years ago, I would have typed up a mile-long list of "who I am" and "who I'm not," because that's one thing I knew for sure. I feel so much more free not being tied to that list anymore.

Thought I have to admit, I still have fun with Myers-Briggs typing. I guess part of my old self is still in me!

ss
Go to Top of Page

Logan

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  12:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've taken this test multiple times for several jobs where we were encouraged to learn our own personality type and those of coworkers in order to be more productive or to better get along etc. That didn't work, btw.

I come up either INFJ or INFP. I don't know what that means. What I kind of think it means is that I was/am a "perceiver" who's been shaped by family/school/jobs into a "judger." I do wonder if that judging aspect of my personality has contributed to my TMS.

Interesting to think about...

Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  13:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to floorten's above link, I am ISTJ, whith thinking being the highest perk. What else is new :P apart from that, I don't know what the test means.

Apart from this, when people say they're 'Type T' personality, what does it mean?
Wikipedia speaks only of Type A and Type B.

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  07:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I refered to "T" types in the other thread, I meant Thinkers in the Myers-Briggs system. The T type most commonly used (from a check around online) seems to refer to thrill-seeking risk takers.
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  07:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Summary from topics I checked:

samthefish-INFP
floorten-ENFP
ralphyde-INFP
sonora sky-INTJ
armchairlinguist-INTJ/INFJ
ndb-ISFP
wrldtrv-INTP
alexis-ENTX
Logan-INFJ/INFP
Redsandro-ISTJ
Carolyn-ESTJ
Jim1999-INTJ
Tunza-INFJ

That gives us about 77% Introvert types, which I gather is the opposite of the distribution in the general population (again, north american numbers at about 50-75% E, depending on source).

Also, we get about 77% Ns, where the S type is the more common in the general population at about 65-75%.

Very close to the general population 50% on both the the P/J breakdown (including my X here and the other wavering one) and the T/F breakdown.

May be the small sample size or just the type of people who use these types of message boards, or the types who would consider Sarno but we do seem to have an unusual correlation so far on both I and N.

Additionally, best I can calculate the IN type (as a unit) should be at about 4-12% (updated because I'm finding variations) in the general population, but here is at a whopping 61.5%. This seems a bit suspicious. Even a high figure of 27% among heavy web users from some years ago doesn't match. Anyone have any ideas or corrections to my arithmetic or data? Sorry, I'm searching all over and averaging some numbers.

Are IN types more likely to be interested in finding out their Myers-Briggs types and therefore these topics are being ignored by others? That actually seems possible.

Why would these potential correlations matter? Well, one thing that I found a little difficult in Sarno is the description of the personality types. Yes it's nice to have things loose and open for you to feel whether or not the type is describing you, and I definitely think there's a place for that. Each case is going to be individual. But at the same time reading this kind of personality description is a bit like reading a horoscope. You can read what you want into it and sometimes it's so fuzzy it could apply to anyone. "Yes, I'm a perectionist type," you say to yourself. But really unless you really have a sense where you stand relative to the rest of the population, you don't know whether your really more perfectionist than average or just think you are.

So something a little more concrete *might* (and I really don't know here) go a little way in really letting people see where they fit in relation to the TMS personality. Then again it might be dangerous in having people say "Well, I'm only 45 out of 100 on the TMS scale so it can't possibly be me." I don't know, I'm just tossing ideas around here and I certainly recognize some of the hokiness and simplifications in these standards. But if it were the case that people with a GSPV on the TMS scale (made that up) or with IN types on the MBTI were more likely to have TMS, that could be a good diagnostic tool...and a tool that might help sway all the symptomatic friends and family I see so many people here worried about.

Edited by - alexis on 01/05/2007 13:10:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000