TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 foot neuroma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  17:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all. I recently developed a neuroma(nerve inflammation) in my foot from just trying on and walking on a pair of high heeled shoes in a store for 5 minutes. two days later I had sharp electric pain in my middle toes on my left foot. after that it was just a dull numb annoying feeling to present. shoes are out and it is occuping my mind how to get dressed with this latest problem. (there is always something). the podiatrist thinks it could resolve itself in 2-6 weeks maybe since it is from a one time shoe trauma. anyone get rid of something like this??? I read online they are forever!! Any positive story would help at this time!!

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  17:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On page 117, Healing Back Pain, Dr. Sarno describes a neuroma as benign tumor blamed for tms foot pain. I had lots of foot pain, that disappeared with my back pain.
Go to Top of Page

painintheneck

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  18:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had it but haven't had any problem with it now for quite a few years. It can improve.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  22:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly,

I started a topic on this just last week. Search "foot pain (neuroma)."

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The neuroma I was anxious about only a week ago is pretty much gone. It came on suddenly and it was gone in a few days. Oh, I sometimes feel it for a few minutes here and there, but it's no longer an issue.

No, these don't last forever either. As I mentioned in my thread, I had one that was severe enough to numb my toes 6 yrs ago while training for a marathon. It disappeared entirely until last week.

These foot pains are not only a nuisance; they are also confusing because often there seems to be no logic to how and when they appear or leave. Sometimes I think a particular shoe is a problem or some other reason, but that is only a guess. Whether TMS or an actual physical condition, they eventually depart.
Go to Top of Page

pault

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  04:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I read online they last forever!) The first thing to do is forget that negative line. Think positive and it will pass.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the past thread about the neuromas started by Rick. Could this possibly be TMS? When I came back to this forum with this question I didn't think it could be TMS. Now I am wondering. I was diagnosed with and still have polyneurophy in my pinky toes for the past 3-4 years now. It had simmered down (though always there) until this neuroma thing popped up. Now the polyneurophy is acting up more. I will tell you that the reason I tried on the high heeled shoes was because I had just finished recovering from getting my breast implants out and physically felt real good for once in my life! My feet were pretty good too and I just felt like buying a pair of higher sexier shoes than i would normally not have put on my feet before. Two days later that stabbing burning pain in my middle left toes started. I read the neuroma horror stories online, had a cortizone shot after it was still there for a week and then visited a second podiotrist that does this new freezing of the nerve called "Cryrotherapy". he actually told me to wait since he thought i had a decent chance of it resolving on it's own. i think that for a guy since they never wear anything but flat shoes that they can get rid of this easier than a women. i find myself wondering now could this even possibly be TMS? that would actually be nice though i think it is not likely. i shouldn't rule it out as that spot where they press to diagnose neuroma is indeed painfull and I knew nothing previously about this type of disorder. so i am still unsure. but now i am reluctant to do any "procedures" at this point after reading your thread.

Edited by - holly on 10/21/2006 11:32:57
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  09:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not had a neuroma, but I have a bunion that was quite painful, and saw a podiatrist about surgery. The pain went away, although the bunion is still there. Your mind can use something that you see that looks "wrong".
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  10:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holly

he actually told me to wait since he thought i had a decent chance of it resolving on it's own...

...i find myself wondering now could this even possibly be TMS? that would actually be nice though i think it is not likely.

Holly, your two quotes above give good evidence that it COULD BE TMS. No one can dx over a message board without a proper medical makeup and physical exam, but in my view the odds are that 80% of ailments are on average TMS, so your odds are good that it is TMS.

If a doctor advises a conservative approach why not believe him and try that?

Why do yo feel that it is SO remote that TMS can effect your feet?

In the progression of Dr. Sarno's works, he has expanded the scope of TMS targets to include almost all areas of the anatomy. If TMS can create affective (emotional) eqivalents such as depression and anxiety, why not attack your pinky toe?

In his latest book, THE DIVIDED MIND, he says TMS can cause auto-immune disorders, and cancer. In my view, any part of the anatomy, having blood flow or nervous sytems connections is a TMS target. The nervous system carrying autonomic messages from the brain, has the potential of createing TMS distractions as a protective device from experiencing "harmful" emotions.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  12:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi tennis tom. the neuroma and the polyneurophy are two seperate issues. 3 years ago i developed the polyneurophy in my pinky toes after a big bang to my right middle toe. That condition never went away but did calm down somewhat during my breast implant situation. I was obviously more pre-occupied with the implants having to be removed and hence the polyneurophy took a back seat. I did find it interesting though that it bothered me somewhat(not enough) less during that very stressfull period. After all was said and done with the breast implants I felt real good including my feet. My polyneurophy didn't dissapear, just didn't preoccupy my mind the way it used to. So I try on the high shoes and this so-called common condition of a neuroma enters the picture. I would just love to think that everything can be explained by TMS and probably somehow hoped I would hear something to that effect here and I did. My breast implant certianly was not TMS as scar tissue etc. caused the pain and once removed I now feel amazing. Just as I get a break though boom this foot problem comes along producing electrifing shocks (on the first day only thank goodness). I do find it amazing coincidence that this would happen just as I recovered so well from getting my implants out. It all does make me wonder but as firm of a believer as you know I am in TMS this one gets to me? This seems to be a common thing that alot of people develope. Do they all have TMS?? Like I said I am open to this and will ponder the possibility of TMS even though the very high shoe would definitly cause this to happen from pushing up on the toes. Remember my feet were not good to start with. I am going to monitor this now in respect to the possibility this could indeed be some sort of TMS response. It has been with me for a good month already.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  12:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly,

Your problem sounds very much like TMS to me. I had something similar 2 years ago.

One day, out of the blue, I developed a twinge in my foot beneath the toe next to the pinky. First the health center thought it was a neuroma, then an MRI found nothing. So the podiatrist gave me some cortisone injections, twice, which did nothing (he was actually planning to give me a series of 12 shots!! I literally ran from his office when I heard that.). By this time the pain had faded away into a dull ache. I did not know about TMS at this time, and it took about 8-9 months to fade away. I was under the impression that the pain really lasted that long, but after learning about TMS 4-5 months ago, I am convinced it was only a conditioned reaction that I would feel that my foot would be very sore if I walked for too long. There was nothing wrong with my foot. You can't get a neuroma from just trying a pair of shoes for 5 minutes! I'm glad for you that you have a podiatrist who isn't just trying cortisone for the heck of it. Not only are they annoyingly painful, they aren't really solving the problem.

Try to think instead about the emotions which are overwhelming you at the moment (frustration with your foot, other unrelated stresses in your life), and read Sarno's books while telling yourself that neuromas don't just appear from trying on shoes. My foot is perfectly fine now! I've been doing taekowndo, and hiking, which I never thought I would do again a year and a half ago. Later thinking about the onset of the foot pain, I realized that it started the day before I was to start taekwondo after a gap of 7 years, and I was probably unconscously very nervous about this.

ndb

Edited by - ndb on 10/21/2006 12:35:07
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  21:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know I really need to hear your responses with your experiences with this. It does seem strange that I would get this neuroma two days after trying on the shoes. I never understood the two day delay. wouldn't I have felt the pain almost immediatly or would the pain be a little delayed?? I know when you get in a car accident or gym muscle strain you many times don't feel anything until a few days later and that is normal. Did they conferm by the "pressing test" in the middle of the upper foot for those of you also diagnosed with this neuroma? Did you feel the pain there? The more of you who disclose similar stories will help me if this is indeed TMS. The one thing I can say is that I was symptom free finally for once in my life when this occured. I could hardly believe that a new problem arised. Then I felt so enraged that now another thing emerged just as I felt great for the first time in ages. No sooner did I notice how good I was finally feeling this happened! Would you say that that is typically TMS like??? I have been out of touch for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  01:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's late and I'm tired so the short answer is "the symptom imperative".

Have you got Dr. Sarno's latest book THE DIVIDED MIND in which he discusses this and other psychosomatic issues in more detail than his earlier books? If not I would recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  08:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tennis Tom I don't have this new book. Is it much different than The Mind Body Prescription? What is "the symptom imperative"? Does it mean you always need a symptom going on?? I can't help but wonder if he is attributing TMS to every single condition and symptom down to the common cold! I am a firm believer in TMS as you know but I wonder if putting just about everything into this label is starting to go just a little too far??

Edited by - holly on 10/22/2006 08:12:04
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  10:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holly

Tennis Tom I don't have this new book. Is it much different than The Mind Body Prescription? What is "the symptom imperative"? Does it mean you always need a symptom going on?? I can't help but wonder if he is attributing TMS to every single condition and symptom down to the common cold! I am a firm believer in TMS as you know but I wonder if putting just about everything into this label is starting to go just a little too far??

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Holly,

I'm leaving for the desert in less than an hour and need to get the laundry in and out of the dryer, so I'll try to be concise. If you are a believer in TMS you must read his latest book, BECAUSE you have symptoms, doubts and questions.

TMS is slang for psychology. TMS is part of the human condition. Yes the symptom imperative means that you will develop a new symptom until your psychological reasons for needing them are resolved through self-knowledge abateing them.

If you step in front of a Muni bus and break 200 bones in your body, they are real injuries, but you may want to ask yourself what lack of attention put you in front of that bus? What were you thinking of that distracted you from taking care of the business at hand to cross that street without getting hurt? Are their really any accidents that couldn't have been prevented through paying attention?

I think that sums up my views on the scope of TMS. Your unconscious emotional environment has an infinite influence on your every action, thought and sensory perception...including the common cold to cancer. I have stopped and started colds in their tracks depending on whether I wanted to participate in an event or wanted to avoid one.

Good Luck!

get the book

gotta' put the laundry into the dryer

Cheer(s)and have a FAB ulous day
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  11:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like a guy that does his laundry! I guess it's time for a new book. Still would like to hear about anyone else having a neuroma that just went away. It just helps. thanks all!
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  08:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom
Your unconscious emotional environment has an infinite influence on your every action, thought and sensory perception...including the common cold to cancer.

Well said, and I agree with every word emphatically. I don't feel its too much to attribute all my taekwondo injuries to TMS. Not just the fact that the pain lasts or is perpetuated by TMS, but why I get them so often in the first place.

Also the cold stopping thing is amazing...last night, I was on a red-eye flight home and seething inwardly about the air conditioning in the airport, and down with a seemingly bad cold. I suddenly realized how mad I was, and decided that this was making my symptoms worse and to hell with the ac, I could take it. I slept well through the night, and my cold is gone....could also have to do with coming home after lots of travelling. But whatever it was, it wasn't a virus.

ndb
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  06:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ordered dr. sarno's newer book "the Divided Mind"(didn't get it as of yet). I am confused. So there is no such thing as a neuroma in your foot??? They show pictures of the nerve in the top upper foot encapsulated in the poditrists office. They say it is not an uncommom problem. So is it the so called concept of neuroma TMS or is it the ongoing pain from it that is the TMS??? Anotherwords how do I know I just don't have this common problem often brought on by shoes?? According to Sarno I think he is saying from what I read in healing back pain that there is no such thing as one? i am not sure.

Edited by - holly on 10/25/2006 06:14:34
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  10:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly, there are a lot of "common problems" that come under the umbrella of TMS. Low back pain is so common, it's practically epidemic. The chiros will show you all the back diagrams and tell you why, but mostly they'll be misdiagnosing TMS. In Silicon Valley where I am, a good half the population has some sort of RSI. The PTs will explain arm anatomy and ergonomics til they're blue in the face, but people will still be in pain, and I'll be over here, post-TMS, typing however I want, as long as I want.

You have nothing to lose by treating your pain as TMS, since a neuroma is generally benign and self-resolving anyhow, according to what you've said. If you want to, wear some comfortable shoes until you're ready to duke it out with the pain. :-)

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  19:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think my foot is improving. I don't know if it just the time that went by or the possibility that it was TMS. Sarnos new book just arrived today. I was hoping to find something about a foot neuroma but only glanced at it so far. I think It might be getting better though. I am trying not to dwell on it and that seems to be helping.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  20:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holly I am trying not to dwell on it and that seems to be helping.

Good news that its better. And good for you for realizing this and not dwelling on it!

ndb
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  16:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
crazy thing today!!! as my left foot slowly improves I feel the exact same pain starting on my right foot. I think this was my polyneurophy acting up and not necessarily a neuroma as diagnosed! once you have polyneurophy it makes it hard to truly diagnose anything else going on there (as admitted by the second better poditrist I saw who said to give it time that it would probably go away in a couple of weeks). unfortunitily I use to think(& hope) that the polyneurophy was TMS but it doesn't seem to come and go like all the other TMS equlivants that become so obvious to me. I do think i have a problem there but the "flaring up" of it is probably TMS related.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000