TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 I did something stupid...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vrampen78

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  08:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to a message board on iVillage about back & neck pain that I used to post on before finding Sarno & this forum. It was just curiosity...and I wanted to do a search to find out if anyone on that forum had heard about Sarno. Ok so I did the search...there were a few that had heard of it and were 'practicing' it and doing great and trying to recommend it to the other posters. Basically the 3 Sarno ppl on that board were under attack by the other posters because although they thought it was great that they found something that helped them it was insulting that they would suggest such a trivial thing to those that had "actual structural problems" and that Sarno was on some website called QuackWatch.

I was upset that these ppl wouldn't even consider reading this book and trying it out because it seemed like such a nothing & trivial thing to do. What's the alternative? Spending huge amounts $$$ on Dr.'s (that think they know what ur problem is), acupunture, chiropractors, PT, etc.... I would rather try out a $11 book (and I did!!! Best day of my life finding it!) than put my life in the hands of a Dr. that's just gonna send me home with drugs, called it a back strain, and tell me to wait it out. I did that for 3-4months...the dr.'s weren't in such a rush to explain things to me and thought I was being a big baby so in the meantime while I was downing their drugs I read the book. What's wrong that ppl won't give this a try, but they'll try a million crazy (painful or inconvenient) things prescribed by dr.'s?! So, sorry I made this a long rant, but I was upset about the comments on that board, I thought I could handle it, but I think I gave that little gremlin room to stir trouble. I was full of anxiety and really 'down' last night and I got cramps in my legs last night that shook me up. I started journaling again this morning...yes, I stopped a week and half ago after journaling for a week because I started feeling better and thought I could just stop journaling after JUST ONE WEEK. Don't think so...back to the drawing board.

I've had alot on my mind bothering me (after writing about it this morning I sort of felt more relaxed...like some of the underlying 'stuff' just drained out through the writing). I've been feeling like really what kind of meaning does my life have...I don't really live out my life the way society expects me to. Most of my time goes to developing my accounting career (yes, I find accounting interesting, but I get frustrated that I can't seem to know everything like all the other people) and even then I don't really do networking and I haven't passed my CPA exam. I'm 28 and I don't party...every 20-something parties what's wrong with me? And I still really care too much about what ppl think...I think that's why the message board stirred me up because I needed those posters to believe in Sarno...just like when I get upset when my family doesn't 'get' the Sarno stuff.

Thanks for listening guys...

-Veronica

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  09:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Veronica;

I, too, have been frustrated with the unwillingness of people to consider Sarno's information. I have been doing Sarno since 1998 when I was awaiting back surgery and first read his books. I never got the surgery and have been mostly pain free since. I do get flareups and that is both frustrating and scary, still. But ultimately, it works and i'm so grateful that MY mind opened enough to try it.

Do the stuff and the results will come. You are not alone. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

vnwees

64 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  09:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S.

not all 20 somethings party. i know it can seem like that, but i know quite a few who don't. they all have varying degrees of self esteem (or lack thereof), some seem less troubled than others, some happier than others, etc. we all seem to go thru growing pains (at all ages!) and finding our place in the world can be tricky. (sometimes my place in the world includes NOT feeling ok with myself.) self acceptance, even when things aren't going well, is something i've been giving a lot of thought too lately. maybe it's perfectly fine that we don't know exactly where we're going in life, or that we feel "different". hmmmmm....vicki
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  11:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Veronica

You wrote: "I was upset that these ppl wouldn't even consider reading this book and trying it out because it seemed like such a nothing & trivial thing to do."

I hate to say it but at one level some people want to be in pain, thus the denial of any possiblity to be rid of it, although they may go through the motions and convince themselves they want to be pain free. I know that sounds harsh, but from my vantage point I cannot think of another explanation....
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  15:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add a data point to the 20-somethings partying -- I don't. I'm 25 and totally over tha fact that big parties and going out to bars and clubs are just not my thing. I love to cook, read, hang out with close friends, go to classical music concerts. That's what floats my boat. You obviously have a good handle on what floats yours, so go with it and don't worry about the irrelevant datum of age.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

carbar

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  21:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

First off, Veronica, you seem like an awesome, thoughtful person. I wanted to respond coz I'm 24 and I am equally skpetical and angry at doctors since they never did me a dime of good and probly made things worse to top it all off.

Culture today is all-crazy-like! People are schooled into accepting what "authority" has to say over their own instincts and common sense.

I'm with you on the concerns of not meeting what is "expected" of me in terms of career and social life. Having an "unusual for your age" diagnosis sure didn't help those fears.

Now that I've been recovered for just over a year(!!!!), I do find myself asking whether or not being injured has held me back from having, for lack of a better term, a wild and crazy youth. Do I like or not like to party? Hard to say since I never tried it in college since I was always preoccupied enough with my health to not want to try drugs and heavy drinking. I guess this is good in the end, but I have to say, I 've been at the bar more this year than any in my life and I like it!

So, I guess I'm just trying to have a good time and explore a bunch of things that I was scared of before b/c of health fears or more general growing up fears...still, can't help feeling like I'm late to the party, so to speak.

I can say for sure that ppl are really concerned about their appearence, and Sarno doesn't appear cool or reasonable to mainstream thoughts on medicine, so of course, it's easy to attack things outside the norm.

Keep doing for you! It's the goodist instinct to want to help others, but in this world you've gotta help yourself and if others want to follow it's up to them.

-cb
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  08:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto on not being the partying type. I never have been, though when I was in my teens and early twenties, I always thought I *should* enjoy it, but still I always felt it to be an empty experience. Not deeply fulfilling. Engage in things that you find deeply satisfying and don't pay attention to what everyone else is doing if it's not your thing. I know it sounds cliche, but it's ok to be different. Do what feels right to you.
Go to Top of Page

Nor

152 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  18:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an FYI - Last time I checked, I don't think Sarno himself was criticized on Quackwatch. He has a questionaire about TMS that is somewhat simplistic sounding that was considered "dubious". I also like Quackwatch but I think its a very conservative, old-school type medical website so, like everything else, we have read w/a critical eye.
Nor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000