TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Spondylitis ... please help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  07:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks. Today I need your help ...

I have been doing My TMS work over a year now. With some level of improvement including pain reduction and getting back some range of motion in my cervical spine. I went to my MD for an annual check up this week and after asking me several questions she suggested that even if my main pain area was the neck, the fact that my back is stiff and crackling all the time since I am 15 years old in the lumbar and dorsal areas could suggest that I have a degerenrative autoimmune desease called Ankylosing Spondylitis taht involve a progressive calcification of the whole spine. Shes now suggesting to pass all the test for that desease...

Early symptoms of AS involve back stiffness after waking up in the morning, lack of range of motion, ichy reddish eyes, ribs popping in the sternum area when you expand your ribcage, cyphosis of the dorsal area (difficulty to keep your posture straight without forcing a lot to stay erect), diminution of the natural curvature of the lumbar area, painful spots in the lumbar area, etc etc....of course I have all of these, .... but I also have allergies that makes my eyes red and as you already see, all these symptoms can be also be assimilated to TMS as well.

Well, right now I am back into fear and obsession and need some advices......

I know that diagnosing surely AS is a very hard job partially because of my age (I am 34) and the fact that I do not have a lot of arthrosis at the moment (at least on my cervical spine which was studied on MRI last year). Aside MRIs and Ct Scans, they usually use a blood test to detect inflammation factors in the blood as an indication of the desease. But from the litterature I red, many people have this inflammation factor and are not developping this desease .....

I would like to know if

1)if there is out there someone who was wrongly diagnosed with AS and if fact it was TMS

2)can it be just TMS to feel STIFF all the time and have our back crackling in association to the stiffness even if there is not acute pain associated to this stiffness and crackling as it is usual in classic TMS?

Before hearing about AS by my doctor, I was attributing my stiffness and crackling to a generalized muscle tension in my back and because there was no significant pain there , I did not have my lumbar nor dorsal spine tested with MRI, just the cervical area. ... By the way, I am classic TMS personnality, I have been through a lot of MAJOR stress in the last years Plus a horrible childhood and I got some pain relief in the cervical area by working with the TMS approach. Moreover, I feel that the fact that I feel stiff since I am 15 also seems do not fit the AS pattern (it often start in the late 20s), and I do not feel 'stiffer' than I was at 15 to be honnest... its the same thing. cervical spine MRI did not show calcifications also ....

The AS diagnosis would be very scary because it would imply that my spine would become like a bamboo rod in 10 years or so implying probably a wheel chair...

Please help, I feel very confused, discouraged right now and sooo fed up of this sh*t :( ...

thanx in advance for taking the time to read this...

P.

Edited by - FlyByNight on 09/18/2006 14:24:28

yowire

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi FlyByNight,

I think you should run from this doctor and keep running until you cross the border and see a TMS doctor.

Yowire
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  13:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what you say it does sound worth getting a second opinion.

It’s good that you’ve had some pain reduction and improvement through doing the TMS work. It seems logical to conclude that you can get more improvement by continuing.

All the best,

Hilary N

PS Have you done a search on this forum on ankylosing? There are a few posts.

Edited by - HilaryN on 09/16/2006 13:42:45
Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  14:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FlyByNight:

Take a look at:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1498&SearchTerms=Spondylitis

I know that I've read a story a few years ago about someone who was diagnosed with AS but it turned out to be TMS and they recovered. I can't find it on a quick Google but I printed it out so I'll look for it in my printed "TMS files" and get back to you if I find it.

Meanwhile, I think you need to know that even people who are diagnosed with it (whether misdiagnosed or not) do not always degenerate in the way that your doctor described. My brother in law has it and the problems come and go. He is no worse than when I first met him and most of the time I forget he even has it (the main reminder is that he avoids a few different foods).

Tunza
Go to Top of Page

Curiosity18

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  15:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FlyByNight,

If you've had symptoms since you were 15, I would think that by now something would have shown up on x-rays if you had AS. Sarno even suggests that children can manifest TMS, so it's logical to assume that you could have started having these symptoms in your teens. My TMS symptoms began in my early 20s, right out of college. I definitely had the symptoms that you described (neck and back tightness, crackling, and tenderness, as well as reduced lumbar and cervical curves. I am in my late 40s and all of the symptoms went away using Sarno's approach. I still have reduced curves, but so what? So do a lot of people who have no symptoms! If it were me, I would have the blood tests, but with the understanding that a positive marker is not a definite diagnosis. If it's negative (which I'll bet on), then you will at least have some more peace of mind. In any case, keep up the good work with Sarno's approach!

Curiosity
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  14:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx all for your support. Its very hard to ALWAYS stay focused on TMS when you work soo hard on it and the results are not there as quick as you'd like. Monte Hueftle often says that its a 'transformational process'. I think it really is.

I will do my best to forget the spondilytis thing for a while because I know the tests will make me crazy and this will interfere with the good work ....

Thanx again for your help.

P.

Edited by - FlyByNight on 09/18/2006 14:32:37
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  14:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was one of the people wrongly diagnosed with AS. I now have no pain - NO PAIN. The diagnosis was way off. Actually, the arthritis guy who diagnosed me incorrectly - after numerous tests, decided that he was wrong and referred me to Dr. Sarno so I actually have him to thank.

AK is very very rare. If you have found improvement, then I would question the diagnosis - go to a TMS doctor and take all your x-rays.
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  18:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't AS a form of TMS by Sarno's standards, regardless of blood and MRI etc. tests? I don't have my books handy right now, but I thought it was one of the problems included with all the others (RSI, slipped discs etc.)?

Although I was not Dxed, I blood tested positive (sed rate and CRP, positive ANA) and had many symptoms of an auto-immune disease called Lupus (fibro, rashes, tachycardia, mental dilusions), and since finding and COMPLETELY buying into TMS I am getting dramatically better and all my symptoms are nearly gone. I have NO doubt in my mind now that I do not have Lupus. I think if a part of me still believed I had something yet to be Dxed, I probably wouldn't be getting better as rapidly. Fear (conscious AND unconscious) is a very powerful emotion and can limit our recovery.

Hang in there, FlybyNight, and keep up the good work. Have you been doing pyschotherapy by yourself or with someone to tackle any repressed schtuff that could be perpetuating your physical probs?

>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.

Edited by - Penny on 09/18/2006 18:26:13
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  08:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx all for your additionnal support

I have been doing psychoanalysis for a year without being able to fully feel my repressed rage (although I have been able to identify the major causes of rage in my life). Since 2 weeks I am starting a therapy with a TMS oriented psychotehrapist. Hope this will help.

I know AS is very rare Suz, thats why I am questionning the diagnosis since the begining and I think everyone here are suffering of chronic back stiffnes anyways without having this desease isnt it ? Sometimes, fear is just coming back with a vengence. I must learn to control it (I should rather say '...letting go...', I know !! ) better.

thanx again all

P.

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  09:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBN,

Maybe you can do a phone consult with Dr. Marc Sopher or have him view your x-rays/mri's. He seems to be willing to go out on a limb to overule other DX's without having to see you in person.

To Be or Not to Be...Pain-Free by Marc Sopher, MD.

Marc Sopher, MD
27 Hampton Road
Exeter, NH 03833
mdsophermd@comcast.net
www.themindbodysyndrome.com
(603) 772-5684
(603) 772-5256 fax
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  10:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are so right to question it. Good for you. This all takes courage. The physical therapy people were convinced I had AS. She kept talking about my stiffness and how my back just had no give in it. It was all TMS. I guess Sarno would put these people out of business.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000