TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 ear problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  09:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I am a bit puzzled as to what is happening to me at the moment and hope someone can shed light on this situation.
I finally gave in and went to doctor this week-end , my ear has felt completely blocked for quite some time now, at first I thought the problem was a result of the tighness in my neck and upper back, it felt muscular , the one side of my neck being really sore to the touch, yet I did not have a sore throat. The doctor said I had wax in my ears and proceded to flush it out, problem is that I am in way more pain ever since, there is a spot on the right side of my neck,about an inch up my collar bone that is extremely painful, plus my ear is still throbbing, could all this be from muscle tension and so fall into the tms category, do I wait it out? I never had an ear infection so I am not sure what the symptoms are supposed to be, yet I wonder if the flushing that the doctor did is not responsible for the worsening of my symptoms. Does anyone have any experince with ear flushing? If I touch the side of my throat, I feel dizzy. I am also nauseated, have stomach pain. Could all this be tms and stress related? Any feedback would be appreciated
I feel like I have the flu all the time so I wonder if I am not just a big bag of neurosis

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  10:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miche -- I think it's great that you went to see a doctor for your ear. We shouldn't attribute every symptom we have to TMS. I've had wax removed before, and it's common to feel dizzy afterwards. We have liquid inside our ears that serves as a sort of pendulum to tell our brain which side is up or down. Sometimes the level of this liquid goes down, so we feel dizzy. But it regenerates itself in a few days. For your other symptoms, I would see a doctor too, if only for your peace of mind and rule out something that might be easily treated (like your ear).
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  10:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Miche,

From 3000 miles away, it "SOUNDS" like pure TMS. You said it yourself quite accurately..."I wonder if I am not just a big bag of neurosis."

In Sarno's newest book , TDM, that's exactly what he is saying. His new book focuses more on the psychological than any of his previous ones. His point is that the pain is REAL, the symptoms are REAL, but they are TMS--that is, they are created by your unconscious to distract you from what is troubling you on the emotional (psychological) level.

If I am interpreting what he is now saying correctly in TDM:

TMS is not necessarily a BAD thing. Our mind's have evolved it as a PROTECTIVE tool to keep us from going "totally mad"--so we become neurotic instead.

You did the right thing. You saw a doctor for your ear, and of course, he found a structural answer, "ear wax build-up". Since he's not a TMS doctor, or a TMS psycho-therapist, he's not going to ask you about your emotional milieu. That would take up a lot of time and he got a full waiting room, a big mal-practice bill to pay and kids going to Stanford.

Your doctor is a "body mechanic"--"Don't ask a barber if you need a haricut!" He would no more enquire about your pschcological/emotional situation than the oil change boy at Jiffy Lube. And, I bet you, he can find ear-was build up in 99 out of 100 patients he examines--"gray hair" of the ear.

The good news is he didn't find a 50 lb. tumor in their. He did a flushing procdure and because your unconscioius has caused your conscious to become neuroticly "over-sensitized" to your body, you are holding a microscope to your body, and now even the change in your homeeostasis caused by the flush is a source of new TMS twinges and sensations.

Every twinge, sensation, physical feeling is MAGNIFIED, becuase you are foucused inwardly on you these days and very little "outside" information is getting in to BALANCE OUT your inward focus.

I have experienced your symptoms and they are all gone now. It may take a few days or a few weeks but they CAN go away if you find something else to focus on.

That could be almost anything: a NEW SYMPTOM, a heat wave, a hurricane, a "return to mormal activity", reading Sarnos's newest book, or the emotional/psychological CAUSESof your TMS psychosomatic/psychogenic somatic symptoms.

The last would be the best choice because it is doing the TMS "work" that will help you take charge of your life and ward-off future attacks by the Gremlin. You can do it by yourself by reading the books or if that doesn't do the trick find a psycho-therapist who is sympatico and compatico with TMS theory.

Good luck, hope this helps,
tt
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  11:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If I touch the side of my throat, I feel dizzy"...This statement makes all the symptoms seem fishy. There couldn't be a structural reason for the throat/dizziness connection. Sounds like some new conditioning....Maybe you better go to the net to see what are the symptoms of an ear infection, however, since you've got the throbbing...As I remember, with an ear infection, you have severe pain and usually discharge...Probably, your mind just took the flushing experience, ran with it, and gave you a new TMS equivalent.
Go to Top of Page

robbokop

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Miche,

Tennis Tom is right on the money, sounds like TMS, 100%. You are totally preoccupied with the internal and physical, allow yourself to connect with the outside world, take it all in, and experience it on a purely emotional level.

I went to Mexico on holiday, a couple of months back. My usual symptoms of cold hands were blown away by the extreme heat, and I knew TMS would have a trick up it's sleeve. It came up with a blocked ear, allegedly brought on by the air pressure on the flight - genious! Was totally deaf in that ear for about a day, but just kept telling myself to hang in there and thought psychologically.
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  14:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fox,

While throat pain and spasms can be entirely due to TMS, it does not mean by any way pressing your troat cannot induce dizziness ... if you have spasms in your troat that already compress some major blood vessels that feeds your brain, I can see that an additional pressure with a thumb at the right place can be sufficient to induce vertigo, (thats what they do in Judo when they choke you until you pass out)...

Reduced blood flow in the blood vessels of the troat can be due to a variety of causes, not only amongst them is TMS but also artherosclerosis plaques which are very structural in nature. It does need to be checked out by a physician before going in the TMS interpretation.

Just to say that I agree that we have to be VERY careful before discarding every symptom we have.

Regards

P.

Edited by - FlyByNight on 08/28/2006 15:05:13
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  19:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank's everyone for all your help, I got a call from my son early this afternoon , my daughter-in-law who is already suffering from lupus, had a seizure and was brought in the hospital, it turns out that the dr found a brain tumor and she is on the emergency list for surgery. I just got back from Toronto and will be going back tomorrow, right this moment her problems make mine pale in comparison. Thank you all for your valuable input just the same, I appreciate each and every one of you,
Miche
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  06:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flybynight - the throat/vertigo thing you mentioned seems like a bit of a stretch, but hey, I guess anything is possible....Of course, a Judo choke hold would give one a bit of vertigo, but I bet we're talking about more pressure on the throat in that case than we are in this case (Miche said that she would "touch" the throat and get the vertigo)...Miche - best of luck with your family emergency. Sorry to hear the bad news.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miche - I looked back closely at your initial post and focused on the part about your neck having a spot above the collar bone that was extremely painful...Heck, maybe that would have something to do with an artery or something else related to the circulatory system...Did you mention that symptom to the ENT doc who flushed out your ear wax?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000