TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Myofascial Pain Syndrome vs. TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ekman

11 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  05:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very confused. Are these the same things? I guess I am confused as to whether or not I need treatment.

Mine started as neck tension from stress (2 1/2 months with inlaws living with us, just like one of the other users!) Went away - was pain free for two weeks.

Played golf and got the pain in my neck/shoulders for about one month

Took yoga and the pain went down my back.

And now the pain is in my buttock (all the up my back)

This seems to follow the classic growth of myofascial pain and I've been thinking that I need physical therapy and massage to correct it.

How can I tell if this is something that needs therapy or TMS?

Thanks!!!!!!

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  07:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like TMS to me. Consider myofascial pain the same as TMS. It's all the same, only a different name assigned to it.
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  09:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pain also shifted from upper back to lower back and now to my butt and leg. It makes absolutely no sense, only confirms what Dr. Sarno says: the unconscious mind is irrational and will try hard to distract you.
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, a spine doctor also called my back pain "myofascial" but offered no explanation or treatment. Maryalma8 is right: myofascial pain and TMS are the same.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  15:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere (perhaps in Sarno) that MPS is a diagnosis frequently given to men whereas fibromyalgia is a diagnosis frequently given to women. Often they have similar symptoms and severity.

Myofascial pain that moves, for which there's no physical explanation (therapists will cite things like trigger points, tight muscles, bad posture, 'overuse', etc), seems to me to be the most classic form of TMS.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000