TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 bone spur or heel pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

retainer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  12:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first post. I read one of John Sarno's books on TMS.
I just rec.d my $400. orthotics to help my high arch, left bone spur
and left heel pain. Now that I have read Sarno's book, they might
be part of the problem if I continue to think my heel pain is physical. I would like to believe the orthotics are for my high arch! LOL. Anyway, I am trying to heal my heel pain by admitting my anger about working so hard around here without help, etc. I chant that in my mind all day hoping that will help? I used to wear a higher heeled shoe, that helped( placebo.) Any other ideas out there as to what I need to do or not do to 'ignore' my heel pain?
I have had it for at least 2 years. Just ignored it until finally
going to the foot Dr. before learning about TMS. (I used to get
head aches often. Now it's the heel pain!)
Thanks, Cari

"It's all up to me!"

salamander

85 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  15:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had heel pain which I am convinced was TMS. I walked my ass off in and around Paris one day and came back that evening with the most intense pain I've ever felt in both heels. They swelled and the heel was extremely painful, even to the touch. I spent 3 days in my hotel room and could not even put any pressure on my feet.

At the end of the 3rd day I was so angry that my trip had been ruined by this crazy injury that I in a practical rage I threw on my shoes and limped my way out of my room, walking on my tip toes throught the streets of Paris. I purchased some cushy inserts for my shoes and vowed that they could amputate my ***damn feet feet when I got back, but it was not going to ruin my trip.

I marched my way in pain for the next couple of days and just grinned and bared it. Miraculously....I walked my way out of it and have not had any problems since. Looking back on it, the pain was so incredible, that I still can't believe it could just go away like that. I am 100% sure in retrospect that it was TMS. In a sense I was lucky that the circumstances prevented me from just "staying off my feet". I often wonder if I would have continued to have pain, perhaps chronically, if I had "babied" my feet. Knowing me, if I were at home when this happened, I would have stayed off my feet for ever... until desperate I would have visited a doctor...got a diagnosis...lamented my plight...done the orthotics...therapy...maybe surgery...

I'm no doctor and can't tell you what to do, but Sarno thinks the foot is a great location for TMS...I certainly can't argue.

Regards,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  15:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW !!! This one is very powerful Doug since I tought that Swelling was a sign that it could be a real structural problem ...

Thanx for sharing it .

P.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  16:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great story, Doug. It was particularly timely for me because I had bad Plantar Fascities a couple of yrs ago and had a brief recurrence of it the other day. For some reason, I have a very tough time seeing PF as TMS, maybe because (when serious) I could actually feel the swelling of scar tissue on the one foot, but not the other. Your story is a concrete example of pain going away w/out babying it; in fact, the contrary.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  14:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrldtrv

That's a great story, Doug. It was particularly timely for me because I had bad Plantar Fascities a couple of yrs ago and had a brief recurrence of it the other day. For some reason, I have a very tough time seeing PF as TMS, maybe because (when serious) I could actually feel the swelling of scar tissue on the one foot, but not the other. Your story is a concrete example of pain going away w/out babying it; in fact, the contrary.

wrld, Dr. Sarno discusses how foot (feet?) injuries are sometimes hard to accept as TMS because it just makes so much sense when we feel pain...Like in Doug's case...

Doug, that's a great story. I think it will help a lot of us. I once had quite intense ball of the foot pain that simply wouldn't go away...I finally did what you did, just said screw it and began to run with it..It hurt like hell, but I kept at it, the exact opposite of what any "responsible" physician would have suggested...

Lo and behold it slowly went away over the course of some weeks

Edited by - art on 08/13/2006 14:51:29
Go to Top of Page

Andrew2000

40 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  18:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello .. just want to confirm on some previous posts that TMS can indeed of all places affect the feet ... I was the last to believe this after being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis .... was fit with custom orthodics, and wore all kinds of arch supports during the day, foot straps at night while I slept to stretch the whole area ... you name it, I tried it.

It was very difficult for me to accept a foot-related problem as TMS. In the past, I'd experienced RSI as a musician, knee problems as a runner when I was younger .... but the feet?

How could this possibly be?! ... after reading Sarno, I did a lot of soul-searching, .... it took time ... over a year to "get it all out" emotionally .... and one day, the foot pain disappeared as mysteriously as it first appeared ...

My advice to anyone suffering with foot pain is to ignore the physical; focus on the emotional (for me it meant confronting job and family issues head-on); try to keep as busy as possible; make as many positive changes in your life as possible ...

Don't give up your exercise routine ... adjust for a little while if you need to but then slowly but surely start to prove to yourself that you can "DO IT!" ...

Edited by - Andrew2000 on 08/14/2006 18:03:23
Go to Top of Page

retainer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  12:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for your post. I do believe it's TMS. This last
weekend I visited my aunt in the hospital from a broken hip. Then
visited a cousin with crones disease. All very stressful family
situations. All while there my heel felt wonderful. Didn't even
notice it. When I got home, my heel hurt Monday! So I know
something is going on. That in it's self proved TMS to me.
I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and heel spur also. I will
just ignore my heel and continue to tell myself it is emotional.
To just knock it off and go away. We thought my husband had MS.
Had blood tests and brain MRI. All tests came back normal. So
he tells his feet when they go numb to stop it. And they do!
Thanks again.

"It's all up to me!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000