TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Fred Amir's challenge - is it for everyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

larkascending

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  20:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have suffered from leg/hip sciatic pain for two years, which resulted in not sitting at all for 18 months. After totally immersing myself in Dr.Sarno's books this summer, I have been making slow, steady progress in terms of sitting and walking. I know that my TMS is caused by fear, in particular the fear of not being able to cope.
Last Friday I started reading Fred Amir's book and now I am almost finished it. I was suprised at how quickly he encouraged readers to increase their levels of activity - I've been soooo slow at increasing mine. When I've tried in the past to 'push myself' I've ended up in alot of pain and then so scared that I stop activity all together. In the spring I saw a physio who said, why not just try sitting three times a day - see what happens? Well, I ended up in alot of pain and stopped sitting altogether for a few weeks.

So, inspired by Fred's book, since Monday, I've been really challenging my fear of sitting by 'officially' increasing my sitting time from 20 minutes 2 x day to 20 minutes 3 x a day (I've sat 3x/day one or two times in the past few weeks but not with the intention of continuing-to-do-so-no-matter-what). And since Monday, my left arm has been really painful, although intermitently and the pain moves all over the arm, wrist, fingers, elbow. I had a similar pain in this left arm 12 years ago, but thought it was due to overuse from practising flute 3-4 hours/day.

Is this arm pain just a symptom imperative, my mind trying to distract me to think I am incapable of sitting 3x?

Or is the TMS furious at the pressure I am putting on myself now that I've made a chart of how I want to increase my activity? Is it possible that that kind of pressure would make TMS worse? Maybe it is better for some TMS sufferers to take things slowly so they don't add more pressure to their lives?

Or, all you arm pain sufferers, is it possible that sitting could cause arm pain?? (I know, I know, now I'm thinking physical.. but I need reassurance!)

Thanks,
Lark.

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  22:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried Amir's method but it didn't work for me. I'm sticking with Sarno's advice: resume physical activities in small steps only when the pain is gone or almost gone. My progress have been slow and uneven but at least I am make progress. So patience pays. Amir's not a patient guy. His "rapid" method is not for everyone. Stick with The Master.
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  23:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried Fred Amir's technique of setting small incremental goal, and rewarding yourself (or your unconscious) for achieving them? much as you might treat a stubborn child?

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  00:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried that for about two weeks. I wrote down my goals for each day and tried to stick with my program, including the promise of chocolate cakes to reward my "subconscious" or a bathroom cleaning to punish it, but I reached a point when the pain became too much to ignore, so I went back to my "Sarno meditations", and as the pain eased, I resumed some physical activities at my own speed of recovery. I think Amir's approach of "you are Superman smashing your pain" is just a bit too childish.
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  08:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some contradictions here because one hepothesis behing TMS work is the fact that you must confront the Gremlin by going back to your usual activities ... Many people report that their pain reduce afterwards ... On the other side, SArno says that your have to resume your activities when there is no or alsmot no pain ....

In my case ... the more i am not doing my activities, the more pain I get ... so I cannot wait for the pain to be gone before resuming my life ...

Food for thoughts

P.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote a long post explaining two types of TMS symptoms and trauma. UNFORTUNATELY, it is lost in cyberspace and I don't feel or have the time to do it over now. BUT, if you go to page 49 of THE DIVIDED MIND, "when to resume normal activity", should be explained.

If you have any questions after reading that feel free to ask.
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  09:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you insist on waiting until all pain is gone before resuming activity, isn't this exactly what TMS wants you to do? - in which case you will never resume activity.

Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  09:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you insist on waiting until all pain is gone before resuming activity, isn't this exactly what TMS wants you to do? - in which case you will never resume activity.

Exactly my thinking which is why I finally just challenged my pain. I've tried before and failed so your mindset has to be right in my opinion. For me, it was fear of certain weight lifting exercises and I do them now and for the most part the pain is gone. If I had waited until I felt better I would have never tried to resume that particular physical activity. TMS would have kept it's hold on me with the fear of getting hurt doing those exercises. I believe at some point you have to challenge yourself and you can't take forever
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000