TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Whats better: Ignoring or fighting the pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chadsi

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  23:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Im new to this forum and am currently trying to get better from 10 months of TMS in many locations with the arms being the worst. Most activities are a nightmare including work. I have read many recovery stories on the internet, and books by
Fred Amir, Sarno, and Schecters Audio tape.

There seems to be too major contrasting strategies for getting rid of TMS.

1. Ignore the pain

This strategy has definitely helped me at times. The idea is that if we ignore the pain for long enough our unconscous will guve up its strategy. A good way to ignore the physical pain is to think about the sources of the unconscious emotions.

2. Fight the pain

We are encouraged to forcefully command our brain on a regular basis to stop giving us TMS pain. I have also found this strategy quite helpfull at times. My problem is that these two strategies cannot be done at the same time because by talking to your brain you are focusing your mind on the pain and therefore feeding the process.

Any thoughts

Simon

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  07:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, the strategy that works for me is not really ignoring or fighting but rather accepting the pain. When I feel it, I focus on what the sensation actually is- tingling, burning etc. Then I remind myself that I KNOW this is created by my mind and is nothing to fear. Then I give myself just a moment to relax and see if I know what is bothering me that might have triggered it. Someitmes something comes to me - if not that's OK too. Then I consciously shift my attention to something else.

The important thing seems to be that I do this immediately. It takes effort until it becomes a habit but it only takes a moment. I find that if I just try to ignore the pain or think that I'll save thinking about what is bothering me for later when I am journaling that that is just like repressing the emotion which makes it worse. If I try to fight the pain, or resist it, I am aware of a tensing in my body (the fight or flight response) which in my opinion is really what is causing the pain. So I just relax and stop trying to change it- just accept that it is here for now for some reason- but it isn't permanent and when I start analyzing the sensation apart from the emotion, it isn't really as bad as it seems. This also works like magic for me in dealing with anxiety that I experience as a TMS equivalent.

It is about finding a way for yourself to take away any power that the pain has over you. I decide not to fight it or flee from it because I tell myself that it is not a threat- instead try to bring up a feeling of curiosity about it. It is after all amazing to discover that our mind and our body are connected in this way that we don't understand. Once you start having some success with your symptoms, this gives you confidence and takes the power away from the pain.

Stick with it- You WILL get better. We are living proof.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

larkascending

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  15:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolyn,
Thank-you so much for that explanation of your strategy - I love it. I've copied it and printed it up to read every time I have pain (until it sinks in!).

Lark
Go to Top of Page

Curiosity18

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  17:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolyn,

Your post came at the perfect time for me. As usual, your suggestions are so helpful and inspiring.
Thank you so much

Curiosity
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  18:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I have to agree, killer post Carolyn! I will also take a copy of that. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  19:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my case, ignoring the pain was not working well at all. It's hard to ignore it when it's the main thing on your mind. So recently I've finally had enough of babying my back so much for it to still hurt as much as the day I first felt pain. I challenged the pain this time around. Mind you, this has taken about 3 years of challenging the pain and then stopping because it hurt so much I felt it had to be physical. I got to the point where I had enough and in my case I missed doing certain weight training exercises I used to.

So a couple of weeks ago, I went for it and started doing some of the exercises I stopped, like deadlifts and squats. Two exercises I was told to never do again by traditional doctors due to spine compression and how I could rupture my bad discs. Hearing that is what kept me from continuing each time I tried those exercises.

So what's different now? My attitude and that I believe more and more it's TMS. I guess for many of us there will always be that little bit of doubt, but my belief is stronger than in years past. It took me noticing a pattern each time I went on vacation for me to believe it was TMS. While on vacations I never felt a twinge of pain. I did everything you're not supposed to with a "bad back" and felt nothing. As soon as we got back from vacation, the pain started again. That is not a physical problem.

So recently I've started doing the exercises I'm not supposed to and my back has been fine. Pain has moved to other parts of my body but I'm not even concerned about that as I know it will pass. When it moves now, that pain I do ignore and just keep doing what I need to do. Since the original diagnosis was with my lower back and the MRI's showed damage, that was hard to ignore.

I feel I still have much to work on and resolve but I also feel I've made the breakthrough I needed after starting and stopping so many times. That's why we shouldn't worry when it takes longer than others to feel better. I feel that at some point you have to get fed up and challenge yourself. I wasn't ready in the past, but now I feel I am.

Regards,

Jay

Edited by - wolf29 on 07/23/2006 19:57:16
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  21:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Carolyn,
What an amazingly helpful post! thank you!!!
~Karen
Go to Top of Page

Mary Ann

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  06:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolyn,
What an excepionally well-articulated post. You know before I read your post, I would have said that I ignore my pain/symptoms. But I think that what works best, is as you say, just accepting it. Yep, I have pain, no point in "fighting it or fleeing from it". It's harmless and will go eventually, nothing to panic about. And it usually does.

But I love what you added about the curiosity part-- think that is highly enlightened and something I will start incorporating next time I get symptoms (I'm remarkably symptom free right now)--just wondering what it's all about.

Thanks for sharing.
Mary Ann

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  15:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi chadsi,

I concur with Carolyn's reply, you must accept the pain if you want a complete recovery from TMS pain. I fought the pain for 20+ years which allowed me to win many battles but never the war.

In retrospect, fighting the pain just made me more angry, and since I could not reveal any of this anger it became more repressed and fueled the TMS fire.

Ignoring the pain works so long as your pain is not too bad, but when you have the "I have to crawl on my hands and knees to the bathroom because I cannot walk" kind of pain, ignoring it is just not possible. At that point TMS has complete control of your conscious mind and you unfortunately have no say in what is going on in your life.

Here are several posts where I talk about accepting vs. fighting the pain...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=170&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=586&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=841&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1018&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1084&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1150&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1465&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2275&SearchTerms=fight+the+pain

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 07/24/2006 21:32:29
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  17:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to add that this same strategy, when dealing with emotions in general, seems to be what helps me stay pain free. I try to be more aware of my emotions right when they arise- accept them and experience them without berating myself for having them. Again, I try to just be curious about them- 'isn't it interesting that that should make be feel that emotion- I wonder why?'.

I became aware that there is a split second after an unpleasant emotions arises (anger, insecurity, pettiness, sadness, whatever)when I would make a largely unconscious decision to push it to the back of my mind to be dealt with 'later' at a more convenient time. This very simple and seemingly insignificant act of repression repeated over and over again every day seems to really fuel my pain. Once I was aware that I do it, I could catch myself and just allow the emotion to become fully conscious instead of pushing it to the back of my mind. Usually experiencing it for just a fraction of a second is enough. Occassionally I'll get a stronger feeling- with me it usually seems to be nostalgia (sadness over something that I no longer have) and have to sit with it longer. I feel like it is very important for me feel it right when it comes up- not when it is convenient. I am often surprised by the emotions that various situations call up.

For me I think the key to a permanent cure is to make this a habit. It is hard because in the rush-rush way I live my life, I often find that I get impatient with myself for being 'sentimental' about something when there is so much I need to accomplish. "I don't have time for these silly emotions." But better to make the time than suffer the consequences!

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  10:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolyn,

Thanks so much for posting your thoughtful ideas about awareness and curiousity. They really seem like powerful strategies that can effectively circumvent repression, yet so gentle that they also bypass self-criticism!

I had a therapist once tell me that although I wasn't completely shut down, I had a habit of feeling something for just an instant and then going away from it, and that I should try to increase my ability to stay with things a bit at a time. Same idea, different context (this was before I knew about TMS and she is not a TMS therapist although her approach is somewhat compatible).

Since then I have indeed worked on that a bit, but I hadn't thought of applying it specifically to the TMS pain rather than to emotions. I will definitely be trying it.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

lobstershack

Australia
250 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  07:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stryder,

Great post. Lots of helpful advice.

Seth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic