TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Inflammation? a TMS symptom?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  18:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
as you might notice I'm a relatively new poster.
My TMS problems include: tendonitis of the under forearms, tendonitis of the top of the hands, tension myositis syndrome of the vocal chords, bad back & bad knee :) and naturally the pain moves around certain areas decide to hurt at the moment as opposed to other areas sometimes pain in two places. But if my back hurts too much at the time I know, I just have to do a bit of typing and make sure my arms become the source of pain instead and almost like clockwork . my arms hurt in my back no longer does :)

Anyway, one of my fairly big stumbling blocks for believing 100% has been the fact that my earliest muscular symptom (underside of forearm tendonitis symptoms) included inflammation, near underside of my wrist I have a kind of lump over my tendons about 2 inches long by one third of an inch wide... if I really overdo my typing this will get bigger . but seems to never go down completely.My doctors never seem concerned about it.

Now my problem with that particular symptom is . I have never found specific mention of actual inflammation being a symptom of TMS. Sarno often says there's no point taking anti-inflammatory medication, but never actually in the books I read mentioned visible inflammation may be a symptom...

Just curious if anyone else has similar symptoms.

bernard

8 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  05:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder why Sarno does not talk about inflammation because many times tendinits comes together with inflammation.
It is true that Sarno states clearly that there is no inflammation in tms but
I wonder if a tendon that is tense all the time would not become inflammed eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  08:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe inflammation is a part of TMS. Just as it is not logical to say the brain cannot induce physical symptoms on its own, it is not logical to say that TMS cannot affect the immune system in such a way to cause an inflammatory response in the body.
Go to Top of Page

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  09:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

I believe inflammation is a part of TMS. Just as it is not logical to say the brain cannot induce physical symptoms on its own, it is not logical to say that TMS cannot affect the immune system in such a way to cause an inflammatory response in the body.

Dave- What is your background that you feel comfortable beginning your post with "I beleive...?" You have made many excellent observations, but I think we all tend to start thinking we're TMS experts, when in reality, we just want to know more and figure it out better. I think it's dangerous to start making medical speculations ("it is not logical to say that TMS cannot affect the immune system in such a way to cause an inflammatory response in the body"), and revising Sarno's work. After all, he went to many years of medical school, and is a trained orthopedic surgeon. Inflammation is the body's response to physical trauma, not repressed feelings. If inflammation were responsible for the pain of TMS, then anti-inflammatories would do the trick.

Edited by - Texasrunner on 09/10/2004 09:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  09:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure inflammation is TMS. My rosacea is a TMS equivalent - basically inflammation of the capillary vessels of the face. It appeared at a time of tremendous stress for me. The dermatologist even pointed out one of the major triggers is stress.
As Dave points out, the brain/autonomic nervous system has access to all part of the body - skin, blood vessels, etc. etc - it can choose any thing it wants
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  09:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In response to Texasrunner,I just wanted to add, that I do not think inflammation is part of the actual TMS back/hip pain as all inflammatories have not worked for me.
However, anti inflammatories work for my skin problem - specifically Bextra and my skin problem only appeared when I was suffering terrible stress. In other words, they work for one of my equivalents. I agree that inflammation is a natural reaction of the body to a trauma/injury but could it not in some cases be an equivalent reaction?
Again - I am not a medical doctor - so can only report my personal experiences and theories -which may be way off!
Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  13:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points SUZ
quote:
Inflammation is the body's response to physical trauma, not repressed feelings. If inflammation were responsible for the pain of TMS, then anti-inflammatories would do the trick.
As Dave points out, the brain/autonomic nervous system has access to all part of the body - skin, blood vessels, etc. etc - it can choose any thing it wants

I agree that inflammation is a natural reaction of the body to a trauma/injury but could it not in some cases be an equivalent reaction?

quote:

(texrunner)
Dave- What is your background that you feel comfortable beginning your post with "I beleive...?" You have made many excellent observations, but I think we all tend to start thinking we're TMS experts,
("it is not logical to say that TMS cannot affect the immune system in such a way to cause an inflammatory response in the body"),

Excellent point
“when in reality, we just want to know more and figure it out better.”

Hey know take it easy there is a logical explanation.
I believe we are all in agreement with inflammation is a reaction to the bodies ability to respond and heal itself.
But we have also learned that the body has a natural ability to heal and combat pain, (as it does create it)
As we have learned with TMS it also has the ability to create unnecessary manifestations, including pain and inflammation.
Look at all of the types of manifestations that fit this profile.

Always Hope For Recovery
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  16:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My inflammation has not actually responded to anti-inflammatory drugs in fact, when it first appeared the anti-inflammatory drugs increased the pain...
More recently taking [a different type of]anti-inflammatories for the back of my hands it seemed to minimise the pain[but not affecting my forearm tendonitis mentioned above] in the back of my hands, but it could still be just as painful if I actually used my hands in a, triggering activity...

But as far as I know, anti-inflammatory drugs have a dual affect a painkiller and anti-inflammatory?...(my last anti-inflammatory was Voltaren)

But yes, I believe your brain can create any type of reaction it wants... and if it's natural reaction to pain in the area is to become inflamed... then wouldn't make any difference that the brain created the pain as opposed to physical activity? (I have had this area of inflammation for about four to five years)
but it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually seen a TMS doctor about similar things

--------------------------------------------------
my TMS = diagnosed with fibromyalgia - forearm & hand tendonitis - vocal cord tension myositis syndrome - bad back/knee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000