TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Physical therapist mistakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diverlarry

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  08:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about my previous physical therapist's.
I don't use them anymore. But i do remember some things they said.

Don't go on a plane the vibration will screw your back up "
I was going on a trip and he told me this before i went. So yes, my back hurt and i blamed it on the "vibration". When he told me this...i wondered how the heck could vibration mess me up. I see guys with jackhammers working all day and they are fine.

"This program will help but you will but you will always have back pain now and then ."
When the PT told me this it was like she was saying i would never be healthy again. I was programmed to fail.

"It will get much worse before it gets better"
Yes it did get worse each time i went in but never got better.
These PT's just sat in a corner eating cookies. If you were hurting they said yes it will get worse, but keep pushing...then went back to eating cookies.

My medical insurance paid these people a lot of money....for incorrect information. It makes me angry i was misled. But you learn something from everything. I learned what didn't work.

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  09:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This program will help but you will but you will always have back pain now and then ."
When the PT told me this it was like she was saying i would never be healthy again. I was programmed to fail.

That's exactly what they did to me when I was 16. Now I am 28 and hey the soreness never went away. They really do program you.
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  18:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah in my experience with physical therapist is they're all one trick ponies . if their trick doesn't work, they are baffled.
They really don't seem to have a clue in general, unless it is a sporting injury.....
part of the problem, I think is that very few people actually tell the therapist they are leaving because it don't work....
and practitioners seem to assume if a patient never comes back, they have cured them. still I had at least two physiotherapists completely give up on me(it is not great for the self-esteem)
I had an osteopath trying to tell me my entire problem is one leg is less than 1/2 an inch longer than the other! Like that obviously explains why at 23 the problems started lol(there's probably a huge percentage of people with this problem with absolutely no pain... I still don't understand how she can tell it is a bone thing and not a muscle thing), and of course that would mean visiting her every week for the rest of my life and wearing weird shoes . and that it would get worse before it gets better.... it's like broken record.
they're happy to take your money and assure you they can cure you for their hundreds of dollars... but they can't
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  18:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't done so already, read Dr. Andrew Weil's book, Spontaneous Healing (my bible). Dr. Weil talks about exactly what you have said. In fact, the name he gives this thing that doctors do "medical hexing." He talks about patients who are told things like "You'll be dead in six months," and the patients do indeed die in six months. It's no different with diagnoses that doctors give you. Back about four years ago, when I experienced my first episode of "dizziness," I was told by a doctor (after she looked in my ear for a millisecond) "You have labrynthitis. It will be gone in three weeks." Three weeks later, bingo -- it was gone. Now, you cannot see inside the inner ear (thus the name inner ear - duh!) but I didn't think about questioning the almighty doctor and sure enough in three weeks exactly it was gone. Two years later, I got the same problem (again, after air and boat travel) and made the mistake of reading on the internet about a syndrome called "Mal de Debarquement" which literally means "failure to disembark." The brain supposedly doesn't adapt back to stable land and thinks you are still moving. I've suffered what I thought was mal de debarquement for a little over two years until I figured out the real problem -- TMS, confirmed by a doctor who works with TMS patients. When I read that Mal de debarquement has "No known cure" and "can last for months, even years" I decided that this must be what I had (since three medical doctors were stumped and could not diagnose me) and that I too would be disabled with this for "months or even years." I now know it is psychologically induced and is my brains way of distracting me from the real issues in my life -- messed up parents and an extremely dysfunctional childhood, and the day to day stress in my life that comes from raising a family and trying to get along in society. My so called "best friend" hasn't been treating me like a best friend and I'd like to end the relationship but feel guilt over it. My husband is in limbo with his job and I'm scared. And, the hardest thing is that I have two teenage daughters who are growing up very quickly, one who talks back constantly. Once I figured out the real problem, I could start trying to "think" my way out of my dizziness. So far, it's working pretty well. Thank God for John Sarno and his work. Anyway, your physical therapist needs to be shipped off with the rest of these doctors who give out bad advice. Trust yourself!

Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  19:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes Laura this Nocebo effect seems to be more powerful than the placebo effect....

I only had a sore back after I read Sarno books lol it is only logical(although naturally the[unconscious] brain is illogical) when my brain is looking for a new pain area that it should choose my back.

And I'm generally not very susceptible to placebo myself... I'm too cynical to believe any treatments going to work that a doctor can provide...

--------------------------------------------------
my TMS = diagnosed with fibromyalgia - forearm & hand tendonitis - vocal cord tension myositis syndrome - bad back/knee
Go to Top of Page

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  10:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Menvert- Just curious-What do you mean when you say "vocal cord tension?" I have had TMS symptoms that affect my swallowing, clearing my throat, and neck tendons in that area, when no inflammation is present.

Edited by - Texasrunner on 09/10/2004 10:01:00
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  17:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
they call it tension myositis syndrome[EDIT]muscle tension dysphonia is what I really meant to say[EDIT]....
basically, instead of keyboard typing, I was using voice recognition to do my typing. In a work situation it was very very frustrating to use...
I ended up not being able to talk for two months and had to go on voice therapy for six months...
basically, the muscles supporting my larynx are too tense, which symptom wise means my neck and throat often feels tense my throat is frequently dry... I have to drink lots of water and often lollies to keep my throat moist... of all my TMS symptoms . this one is the most easily related to emotions... if I'm having a conversation am not actually enjoying my throat will get dryer & sorer but if my throat is really really bad and I have a really enjoyable conversation . all of a sudden, all my pain and dryness will be gone :))

my TMS = diagnosed with fibromyalgia - forearm & hand tendonitis - vocal cord tension myositis syndrome - bad back/knee

Edited by - menvert on 09/11/2004 00:27:56
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  17:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by menvert

they call it tension myositis syndrome....

Huh? That is precisely what TMS stands for.
Go to Top of Page

Irish Jimmy

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  17:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting discussion on nocebos and how Docs and physical therapists effect our pain. I was talking to my father once about somebody we knew who was given several different diagnosises from several different doctors. I asked my dad "Dad isn't it weird that all these doctors with roughly the same experience and schooling come up with these different diagnosises?" my Dad replied "What's weird is only one of them might be right, I think they are all guessing and isn't that scary?". He then told me a saying my grandma used to say to my parents when I was little "Once you start going to the doctors for one thing, then another, and you never stop". Being little she would say this out of earshot from me and my brothers and sister, she didn't want us to miss yearly physicals and us telling my Mom the reason was Nana's logic. Only now I realize what I overheard then and what Dad told me later makes a lot of sense.
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  00:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DOH!
Thanks for pointing this out dave :) I must have been doing a good job at thinking psychologically and not physically... I managed to entirely forget the name of the diagnosis

What I meant to say was muscle tension dysphonia of my larynx...

That is very interesting the old saying about "Once you start going to the doctors for one thing, then another, and you never stop" :) it's quite telling...

I never used to get sick... now I can barely even run and climb and swing like I used to love doing as a kid

my TMS = diagnosed with fibromyalgia - forearm & hand tendonitis - vocal cord muscle tension dysphonia - bad back/knee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000