TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A couple of great less well known mind/body books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lisa

6 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  00:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Focusing by Eugene Gendlin
The author developed the technique of focusing from watching hundreds of tapes of both successful and unsuccessful psychotherapy sessions and trying to extract what it was the successful patients did in their sessions. Trying the same techniques on the parts of your body that feel physical pain can sometimes be really helpful as well. It's the best technique I know of to figure out if the physical pain is partially or totally caused by some unconscious emotions. Probably the fastest way to eliminate such pains I found as well.

The Power of Focusing by Ann Weiser Cornell
This book gives lots of examples of the above technique. I found it very helpful in learning how to do the focusing after I read the previous book, which doesn't have as many examples. I think you need to read the other book first though, because this book doesn't explain the general principles very well.

The technique is a general one for psychological problems. The second book is the only one to have a concrete example of the technique applied to psychogenic problems.

n/a

32 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  13:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the info on Focusing. I found a website that has an excerpt from Ann Cornell's book that might be helpful to others:

http://www.focusing.org/cornell_three_key_aspects.html

The focusing technique guided me to stay with the feeling of sadness I had when my husband left this morning for a vacation trip. I've been having a feeling of a rock in my stomach for the last couple days (probably anticipating his leaving) and now it's starting to lift after applying this technique and allowing myself to cry and feel other feelings.

--LJ

Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  18:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a very interesting resource .
looks like something which would make a very good fit with me...
I have a lot of time but... right now I'm a bit over putting in so much active 'effort'

And that article is enough for me to start trying the process..

--------------------------------------------------
my TMS = diagnosed with fibromyalgia - forearm & hand tendonitis - vocal cord tension myositis syndrome - bad back/knee
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  09:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lisa,
Is this the technique you use to focus psychologically? It doesn't make you too focused on your physical pain/body? Have you had luck in switching off your pain through Sarno's approach?
I am in the middle of David Schecter's work book which is very helpful. When I have finished that, I will read this book. Dr. Sarno says to focus psychologically, but he stops there - not giving us any other tips except for journalling. This book might help to put this technique better into practice
Thank you for the suggestion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000