TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 new here, too
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SusiQ217

7 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  12:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very new to the idea of TMS - I read Dr. Sarno's book, and accept his ideas, but even after reading it several times, I do not have a clue where to begin. I have told my brain to STOP like he suggested and have resumed activities (this darned thing had decided to settle in my back and right side after fleeing my pelvis - my myofascial therapist "chased" it out of there - all before I ever heard of Dr. Sarno). It all makes sense, but NOW WHAT? Since I am a logical person, I guess I am looking for logical directions. I have always had a certain degree of anxiety over my health - for as long as I can remember - but have always been active. Believe me, it all makes sense and I know there is no structural defect, so how do I get rid of this? I do intend to see a phsychotherapist to help with the anxiety/obsessive thoughts, but frankly, I'd rather have the OCD than the pain. Thanks!

rickt

5 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  16:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to TMS!

Don't know which you are reading; for me, The Mind/Body Prescription is more helpful than Healing Back Pain. There is more step by step how-to in it. There is an excellent DVD on the Other Resources page of this web site.

Central to my healing was reading the book over and over and over, (primarily the psychology and treatment chapters) and watching parts of the DVD every day. Everybody in my family now knows Dr. Sarno and the patients in the video. We have nick names for them. They have spent hours in my living room.

I basically read and watched and did what Dr. Sarno said to do. Looong lists over every thing I feel/felt stressed/angry about from the beginning of life until the present moment, then going back one by one to examine each, using a variety of different approaches.

Many days I literally couldn't get up off of the floor. On better days I wouldpush myself to be as active as possible. I got really tired of laying around feeling sorry for myself. (I explored the feeling of laying around and feeling sorry for myself--whatever was up, that's what I looked at)

I turned off the sound when people (well meaning friends and family) would suggest what I should do (stand up, don't stand up, sit, don't sit, lie down, don't lie down, stretch, don't stretch, exercise, don't exercise, sleep on back/side/stomach/with pillow, take pain killers, don't take 'em, etc.....) Enough already! Everyone had a body related suggestion to my pain. It was really hard to stop listening to all of that. Those points of view just anchored the pain more in my body.

Some people are pain free after reading the books, some after seeing the DVD, others after days or weeks or months of working the program.

It helped me to notice small improvcements and to be grateful for them. Helped to take my eyes off the clock (hard for me).

Ultimately what worked for me was to have faith and to keep doing the program.

You will get better.

Good luck!

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  16:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Susi,

I'm not new to Sarno, but have been working at it for 2 years. For me, it hasn't been something that disappeared, never to come back again.

I guess my suggestion would be not to hurry it, don't put a time limit on things, and don't try to over-analyze it. Sometimes I play Sarno's or Schechter's CD in my car and only half listen, but I know my unconscious is catching everything.

Just try to stay in tune with what might be happening when a pain flares up. I recently had ALOT of pain, but I had a disagreement with my husband about a kitchen project in our 4-year old remodeling nightmare; we're taking a break from marriage counseling; I'm dealing with peri-menopause; oldest son just graduated from high school; filled out college loan forms . . . get the picture?? Stress, stress and more stress.

You're doing fine, and you WILL be fine. It works, just keep at it!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  02:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote from SusiQ:

"Since I am a logical person, I guess I am looking for logical directions."

SusiQ, begin by abandoning a logical approach. TMS comes out of the unconscious, dark, primitive, side of our minds, that is NOT subsceptible to logic. TMS doesn't play by rules. Neither should you in your fight against it. Best advice is to:

*Read and re-read Sarno's books-all you need to know about TMS is in the books.

*See a TMS doctor if you can, to assure yourself that it is TMS.

*Read Dave's archived posts, he is spot on.
Go to Top of Page

SusiQ217

7 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  05:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the advice and encouragement. I have to tell you that this stuff TERRIFIES ME to the pit of my stomach. It's like a monster under my bed and I want to hide from it - I accept it all, but the more I read, the more I feel like I'm losing my mind, which I know IS NOT Dr. sarno's message at all. There are no TMS docs in Ohio, but there isn't anything else it could be, b/c I have no structural defects nor any history of back pain or problems. It's just too ironic that my chronic pelvic thing is gone, only to find it rearing its ugly head in a different part of my body. Has anyone ever tried to at least direct the discomfort elsewhere until you can completely get rid of it? Also, has anyone else actually found that they were worse after reading the books? The books terify to the point that I actually have more tension after I read them. Ant thoughts?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000