TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 sciatica
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  21:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
two mri's and emg= no nerve damage what so ever but i get sciatica bad in both legs?...i hear tms calling.. ha go figure

Buterfli

12 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  22:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jena,

I had similar symptoms of what I would describe as nerve pain in my legs. Do you have any other symptoms, like swollen lymph nodes? After bloodwork and x-rays, I am left to think it was all TMS. Let me know and take good care of yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  16:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i get bad sciatica and muscle spasms in my buttocks that are paralyzing and i cant move once they hapeen.. sometimes i get swollen lymph nodes ...ive had mris and mras and emgs with nothing wrong with me.. so i knows its tms but getting rid of the symptoms isn't happening yet
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  17:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jena

Try challenging the pain.

If you can only walk ten steps, try twelve.

If you can only climb three stairs, try five.

There are many on this forum who have had sciatica and are now pain fre, you can be pain free also.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  17:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OKay heres the thing though... when it happens i try and think psychological and the pain doesnt go away.. and the biggest problem i have is when my muscles spasm in my buttocks and i cant move at all then my back goes out completely and its not till days or weeks where it might or might not feel better.. its crazy because i can do a lot of things like climb stares which doesnt bother me but once my muscle starts spasming i cant walk or lay down in a certain position or it will go out... but i know i will get better and be pain free i just need help getting there... i am calling psychosomatic doctors tomorrow and hopefully they have heard of Sarno.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  17:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't "make the pain go away." If only it were that simple.

There is a certain randomness to TMS symptoms. Just because you feel pain at a certain time does not mean there is a specific psychological cause at that time. Remember, TMS symptoms appear when the "resivoir of rage" overflows. It is not directly tied to conscious emotions or stress.

Once the symptoms take hold, there is a physiological response. The muscles and nerves are, in effect, "injured" by your mind (even though it is not a physical injury). So, it is unrealistic to expect that the symptoms will just disappear quickly. It could take hours or days to get relief.

Just stay the course ... ignore the symptoms, think psychological. Again and again, any time you are aware of the symptoms. It's a reconditioning process, and it takes repetition and time. You must help your body "un-learn" the TMS response.
Go to Top of Page

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  17:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

i agree with whta your saying but if i keep at the program and get help can i make the pain goaway??people in this forum CAN make the pain go away I have spoke to them..by reconditioning like u said my brain should start to notice that there is no injry and thats when the symptoms disappear? Is that what you mean
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  20:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically I am saying not to be preoccupied with results.

Treating TMS is a life-long change in the way you think about pain and react to it. The pain is a habit that took a long time to develop. It is only natural that the habit will take awhile to break.

Treating TMS is not about learning "how to make the pain go away." There is no technique that you can learn to dismiss the pain when it comes. Treatment is mostly about long-term reconditioning.

Just focus on the work and give it time. Don't get frustrated with lack of results.

Whenever you are aware of the symptoms, ask yourself "What is bothering me today?" Write down your answers in a journal. Be specific and be totally honest with yourself.

Learn to ignore the pain as much as you can. Laugh at it. Tell "your brain" that you know exactly what it is trying to do and you refuse to let it succeed: you will think about all the forbidden, embarassing, difficult, inappropriate, irrational feelings that are going on inside you, without censorship, without allowing them to be buried or ignored.

Resume physical activity. Go for a long walk even when you are in pain. Convince yourself that there is nothing physically wrong with you and that physical activity cannot hurt or damage you. As you are walking say "take that!" to your brain. Don't let it win.

Do this repeatedly, every day, without fail. Give it time. Slowly but surely, the pain will start to fade.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  20:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Dr Sarno's words: "Perhaps the most important (but most difficult) thing that patients must do is to resume all physical activity, including the most vigorous." (HBP page 79)

On page 81 in HBP Dr. Sarno further says: "One has to confront TMS, fight it, or the symptoms will continue. Losing one's fear and resuming normal physical activity is possibly the most important part of the therapeutic process."
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  20:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jena..I'm sure it must seem like ages since you've 'gotten' the Sarno method,but remember that a lot of us have been at this for years...and even still,you saw that I had one relapse where my otherwise 'instant heling' didn't work and I had to hit the books again.

You're young so it must be extra frustrating. I think I 'got' Sarno before I was done with the book ...maybe 24 hours into it...I remember being out walking (and having nagging doubts) a week later (the longest week of my life) wondering 'Why am I not better?"

in retrospect (an old mans favorite) it was an eyeblink compared with how long I'd been in pain.

Remember too that a lot of the pain is interwoven with conditioning.The hardest places to work the method is in those ones where we have no 'rage' attached,but were conditioned to expect pain,and it came.

I have read lying on my stomach in bed my whole life.I had stopped at the warning of My doctor as to the 'evils' of this position.While I was reading Sarno the first time through,when I got to the part about needless warnings and conditioning,I immediately flipped on to my belly...fearing the pain...and it came..mercilessly.

I don't think I have any 'rage' attached to this activity...clear case of conditioning...still,I had to bull my way through it...and I now,once again read on my belly (or at least these last 7 years)

hang tough..it's a game of inches.

-p

-
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  22:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jena

...but if i keep at the program and get help can i make the pain goaway??people in this forum CAN make the pain go away I have spoke to them...

Hi Jena,

Yes, you are correct in that many of us can (sort of) 'make the pain go away', but this needs to be put into context. Some background first.

When you have been abused by TMS for a long time (months/years), your muscles are a real mess. They are tight and sore and in massive long term fatigue. Your brain has conditioned you to expect pain, and your muscles are in a state to comply, and provide a lot of pain (distraction). I used to get severe back spasms when I would wake up in the morning and step into the shower. It was simply the signal, a trigger, that I was starting my 'work day' which was problem for me at the time (I didnt want to go, and I had very young children at home).

So, enter Sarno and the TMS diagnosis. Even if you mind 'gets it' right away, you have these abused muscles that will need days/weeks to recover, even if the TMS pressure is relieved right way, you are going to be hurting for a while still. This is in a sense the 'long term' that so many members here often refer to.

Yes, some people do 'get it' and are 'cured' in a matter of hours or days. But this is not true for everyone.

So, getting to your question about 'making the pain go away'. After you have beaten the TMS demon and you become a 'pro' for a while, many of us have learned to monitor our mental and physical state and sense, early on, when we have 'slipped up' and TMS symtoms start to appear again. If you then get back to the program quickly, usually you can avert a severe episode is short time (hours/days).

Keep up the good work! You have the advantage to have found Sarno early, so you will be spared 10, 20, 30 years of distress like so many have before you were not able to.

Hope this helps, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 12/27/2005 22:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its to bad that more psychosomatic doctors and mds dont know about this disorder i need to find help from someone who specializes in this and its very hard...i know i live very close to sarno but i cant afford it.. doe anyone know of any psychosomatic therapists on long island or close by?
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  11:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jena,

If you have not already thought of this maybe consider purchasing Dr. Sarno's video lecture ($89 + $7 shipping). Thats a lot less than going to see him in person. Maybe someone can loan you the video if you can't pay for it (or check with your local library). www.healingbackpain.com I have not seen the video but many people have found it helpful since it is Dr. Sarno himself in the video.

Also, look for a TMS doc nearby, like NJ...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=843&SearchTerms=new,jersey

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=857&SearchTerms=new,jersey

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327&SearchTerms=new,jersey

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 12/28/2005 15:13:51
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  16:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jena,

Check this out...

http://www.tarpityoga.com/olive.html

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  16:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jena.

At the end of Stryder's posting there is a link to TMS physicians in New Jersey.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  17:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much styder and allan... i am definitly giving them a call... i am going to end this pain once and for all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000