TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Sensitive to noise question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  06:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone on this board sensitive to noise -talking, music, TV, movment etc - coming from nearby apartments to the the point they would find themselves obsessing about it? I think some time ago someone mentioned this but I wanted to see how common it was and trying to link this to TMS symptoms.

jilly_girl

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  07:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
peter, my mother is seriously ill and she also has fibromyalgia. she has always been extremely sensitive to noises and smells. at the present she is under a doctors care for obsessive compulsive disorder. she wont even let my dad turn up the sound on the tv. she cant stand to hear the radio, tv, or anything!

I know that sometimes being in a group of people where many are talking at once nearly drives me batty. i've had to leave such places and it was called "panic attack". I dont know if it was or if i am just extremely sensitive to such things.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  07:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On page 56 of her book "Freedom From Fibromyalgia," Dr. Nancy Selfride notes that most of her Fibromyalgia patients are sensitive types and they respond more strongly than other patients to their environment. She further notes they are more sensitive to noises and sounds, to smells and tastes, to changes in temperature, and to the texture of their clothing. In adddtion, she also noted that they were more intuitive, noticing and responding more to the emotions of people around them. Dr. Selfridge noted that her observations were backed up by the research of Elaine Aron, PhD who wrote the book "The Highly Sensitive Person." Aron reports that with or without psychlogical problems, a very senstive person has more physical pain than other people.
Go to Top of Page

jilly_girl

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  08:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you peter. i plan on getting that book and reading it. My mother is dying from multiple health issues now. She doesnt have much time, but you described her personality almost perfectly! As i am a lot like her i want to learn all i can on this issue. Modern medicine was a dismal failure in treating my mom, who was a warm wonderful person before she became so ill. My mom has become so sensitive to the texture and feel of clothing she sits around nude many days!! Nothing in her world "feels" right. Its awful. again, thank you!

Jill
Go to Top of Page

windy

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  20:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, I find myself getting so angry at noise from my upstairs neighbor but the real issue began when I got a new neighbor who cannot walk without stomping, close a door without slamming it and thinks dobermans are great to keep in a tiny apartment. So in this case I'm not convinced it's tms.

Windy
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  20:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter--Your question about sensitivity to noise reminded me of a very traumatic time a few years ago when I was living in an apartment in another city. I hadn't lived in an apartment for many years so was not used to sharing walls with other tenants. Maybe it was because I had the very bad luck of having terrible neighbors, but I found that by the time I left there 8 months later I felt like I had PTSD. While there, I found myself so disturbed by the noise that I hated to return each night. I would be bothered by ANY noise from the other apartments, loud or soft. I just hated the feeling of lack of control over my environment. To this day, even thinking about it makes me anxious.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  21:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I used to be extremely sensitive to any noise. Couldn't sleep if there was as much as a clock ticking, or snoring or even breathing happening near me. Yes, you could say this presented problems. I know I'm a really auditory person, noticing sounds that most others just shut out.

This changed a few years ago when I developed quite severe tinnitus. You cant imagine the torture this was for me. For noisy surroundings you can just put in earplugs, but when the noise is inside your own head the loss of control was at a totally different level. I eventually had to train myself not to listen to it literally as a survival technique, and during that incredibly difficult process I found I could shut out most environmental noises a lot better. I really trained myself to be more visual.

Today there is subdivision development beside and behind my house. After 25 years of being surrounded by trees and woods. There has been blasting for weeks, and jackhammers, trucks, John Deers et al outside our fence for months. And it has honestly has not been that big a problem. Some of my neighbours are far more upset. So reconditioning this way is possible, although it never would have happened for me without the major crises.

BTW that Elaine Aron book 'The Highly Sensitive Person' might be a really good read for a lot of folks on this forum. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen it mentioned more. It put a lot of things into perspective and really helped my self acceptance when I read it years ago. It points out that there are a lot of positives that come with this 'highly sensitive' package, not just the problems and challenges that are so often discussed here.

Go to Top of Page

Gail

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  18:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am relieved to find that there are other people who are sensitive to noise. I have become so hyper-sensitive to dogs barking that I go about in my own house with earphones on to avoid hearing them. This began when a new neighbor acquired a Pomeranian that barked continuously every moment it was awake. Although they finally got rid of the dog after months, it is as if I now have PTSD. I cringe when I even see a dog, and I have nothing against them as animals, I even like them, I just cannot stand the barking.
Go to Top of Page

Gail

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  19:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am relieved to find that there are other people who are sensitive to noise. I have become so hyper-sensitive to dogs barking that I go about in my own house with earphones on to avoid hearing them. This began when a new neighbor acquired a Pomeranian that barked continuously every moment it was awake. Although they finally got rid of the dog after months, it is as if I now have PTSD. I cringe when I even see a dog, and I have nothing against them as animals, I even like them, I just cannot stand the barking.
Go to Top of Page

anxo69

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  16:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am too, I also have left ringing all day , which drives me nuts
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  16:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this in a big way. And it doesn't have to be at all a loud noise. Just the scraping of a fork against a plate can send me right up the wall..

I fit the bill I would say for the highly sensitive person type....from being overly responsive to the environment to being very intuitve and responsive to other people.

When I was a little boy, sometimes I'd feel so sorry for other kids, the ones being made fun of or whatever, it was like a physical pain.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  17:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read a good chunk of Elaine Aron's book 'The Highly Sensitive Person' and she talks about sensitivity to noise. Are you a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)? Take her online test: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

I bet everyone this this board will get a high score..I scored 24!

Edited by - n/a on 12/13/2005 13:56:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000