TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hope This Inspires, Wonder if the Rest is TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, first post, my whole history! I have to get this off my chest and ask a couple of questions. Hope you all take the time to read.

In 1989 at the age of 19 I started breaking out in severe hives when my roommate bought two cats. I took prescribed anti-histamines and eventually moved out and my hives would come back periodically. After a few days of medication, they would go away for quite awhile.

In 1990 I started running 25 miles a week (about 4 days x 6) in hopes of completing a marathon. After 4 months of training, I had heel pain (diagnosed as plantar fascitis) so bad that I had to see a podiatrist, get orthodics and quit long distance running for awhile.

After I got married in 1993, I started running 12 miles a week (2, 2, 2, 6) and eventually ran into knee and lower back problems. Ran on and off for years, never more than 10 miles.

Also during this time period, I noticed soreness in my right arm pit, discomfort in the palm of my right hand, and a very mild weakness in my right arm. Over the next 7 years, I had the right chest muscle / armpit x-rayed 3 times and it always came out negative. Nothing wrong with me.

Flash forward to 2002, after years of on again off again with the family doctor, I finally see an allergist who does the 72 cuts on your back test and tells me that I am allergic to dog, cat, ragweed, and grass pollen.

Finally, the culmination of this ordeal started in 2003. My wife of 10 years (now 12 years) runs her first marathon and I’m watching from the sidelines. I expressed that I was upset that I wasn’t running it with her, but I had to swallow my pride, be happy for her and realize it wasn’t all about me (of course I had a rough childhood, divorced parents, an alcoholic Dad who died when I was 20, but I think this was the last bit of repressed emotion that set off the rest).

I started training to run the 2004 local marathon like a madman and lost 25 pounds. Of course the heel pain came back. I went to a podiatrist and got new orthodics. Then on March 30, 2004 during a sprint at the end of a 7.5 mile run I felt a twinge in my right hamstring. My fear of injury had returned again and little did I know manifested itself as TMS.

Within a week I had right buttock, hamstring, and calf pain, soreness, dead feeling, whatever you want to call it that has lasted the last 21 months. By mid-April of 2004 my hives became so severe that my doctor had to put me on steroids 4 times during the summer of 2004 and four more times during the summer of 2005. Also, occasional anti-histamines were now 4 pills a day every day for the rest of my life. We have no pets!

As far as the “sciatica” or “piriformis syndrome” as it was being called, my orthopaedic sports doctor said “no stress fracture, keep stretching, it will get better, you pulled something”. Then on a return visit, we did an MRI, “all of your disks are healthy and full of fluid, here’s the image to prove it”. I had x-rays, CT scans, MRI, blood tests, everything and they couldn’t find anything wrong with me. I went months with no exercise, gained all the weight back, then I would try months of running 5 to 6 miles one day a week only, nothing seemed to work.

June of this year through September I saw a physical therapist who said I had a pinched nerve and if we keep stretching and working on it, it will clear up eventually. PT didn’t help.

I was doing an internet search on sciatica about a month ago and found Dr. Sarno’s books. I went to the library and was able to get the audio book of Healing Back Pain. I listened to it 3 times in my car during my commute over the next 2 weeks. I couldn’t believe that it was 100% me, even the part where he says that steroids for some unknown reason seem to alleviate TMS (during the steroids for hives the TMS would subside as well). My pain level was down to about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 by the third listen. After reading someone on this board’s mantra that if it is chronic it is BS, I decided that the hives could be TMS as well but I was afraid to stop taking medicine.

Two weeks ago today I woke up with a swollen lower lip and a swollen neck allergic reaction at 4 am. It was the day before Thanksgiving in the U.S. and all I could think about was waiting until my allergist got in at 9 am so I could beg for more prednisone. I got really mad, got out my running shoes, ditched my orthodics and just ran for 4 hours. I went back, got my car and measured the distance, 16 miles jogging at 4 miles per hour with no leg pain or heel pain at all! By the time I got home the swelling had gone down and I didn’t need to call the doctor at all!

On Saturday November 26 I ran 10 miles with my wife, still no orthodics, still no pain. So just 5 days later on Thursday December 1, with a long weekend scheduled off from work, I pre-planned, mapped out, and starting at 5 in the morning ran 26.2 miles, no orthodics, plenty of soreness, but NO PAIN! It took me six hours, but I had to do it. 52 miles in 8 days! NO PAIN! If Dr. Sarno is a placebo, I’ll take it. My pain today is back up to a 2 and I haven’t worked out since last Thursday. I also am fighting with hives everyday. They kept me up all night last night.

Here is my question. How many of you think I can beat the hives as well? Could all my other ailments (arm pit, hives) be TMS manifestations as well? I just read Mind Body Prescription and Dr. Sarno seems to rule out nothing. I’m still afraid that I will always be attached to anti-histamines, wondering which of my kids “smuggled” dog dander into the house. One of my biggest obstacles is that my mom who is now 57 has had hives for about 20 years. She also has to wear special shoes because of bad “foot problems” and she is barely overweight. Could the TMS personality trait be what is inherited, or are we both REALLY allergic with “feet problems”? Could the allergens be the triggers, but the hives be my unconscious coming up with a bogus reaction a la TMS? I’ve been working through emotional issues, but I need more encouragement. When you have hives for 16 years, arm pain on and off for over 10 years, and leg pain for over a year and a half you start blaming it all on yourself (you all know this). You stop feeling like a normal person. You start to wonder if you are part of the human race sometimes. I HOPE THE MARATHON STORY HAS INSPIRED OTHERS TO BELIEVE THAT IF IT IS CHRONIC IT IS BS AND WE ARE ALL NORMAL PEOPLE. We can beat this, I just need to know about the hives.

Neil

If it is chronic, I will not believe it.

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Neil,

My three kids have my niggling mid thoracic back pain, (the back pain I had until I read Sarno!) – They are young but have it when they are stressed – guess their brains think this is an acceptable distraction as Mum suffered from it too!

Recovery: A Guide for Adult Children of Alcoholics by H Gravitz and Julie Bowden is a useful book which I found as enlightening for me as Dr Sarno’s MBP.

Journalling about your feelings is a great way to get a deeper understanding of yourself.

Best of luck,
Anne

PS what is it that drives you athletic types – a 26 mile run! - last time I ran any distance it was the mile cross-country at school.

Scottydog
Go to Top of Page

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  13:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the book recommendation and kind words. "Older" Athletic types are usually smaller people who got picked on and never had a chance to play sports in high school.

Short version of my e-mail. Anybody out there beat hives using Sarno's methods?

Neil

Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  20:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, you are the man. Congrats on your tenacity and willpower.

While I didn't have hives, I developed this terrible itchy rash on my feet while I was in med school. Went to a dermatologist that said i was allergic to my shoes. The rash was totally inconsistent and I realized it had more to do with what was going on in my life (e.g. exams), and less what I was wearing.

Decided it was more fun with TMS (I originally had back pain), and poof, it went away...

I'm telling you, it was so bad at some points i actually realized how an itch could make someone consider suicide!

Hell, you've only been doing this for a few months--i have no doubt you'll have the hives beat at some point...
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  20:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil,
I can't say for sure that hives are TMS but allergies in general certainly can be. I always get allergic when I go to visit my parents. I always just figured I was allergic to something in their house but then I started getting allergic when they came to visit me and would even find myself sneezing half-way into the trip to get to their house. Once I figured it out, I'm no longer allergic at their house or mine. I like my parents in general so I have no idea where that is coming from- but it's what happens.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  05:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies! Carolyn, I always get congested around my mom! No kidding! I'm going to try to fully believe that the hives are TMS for a few months, digest it unconsciously, and hope to get rid of the prescription drugs. It is just hard to laugh at the itchy hives all over my body (especially the angiodema aka swelling) and not think it is something serious or dangerous. If I can dismiss them and get over the fear, I'm really starting to think I can beat them as well. If not, it is worth a try.

Thanks,
Neil

Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  07:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil

Here is my question. How many of you think I can beat the hives as well?

If I were a betting man I would bet 100% on you recovering. See page 49 of Healing Back Pain where hives, along with a number of other things, are listed as a TMS equivalent. That is, it serves the same function as TMS and its origins are seated in our inner emtions. Do the same work on your hives as you did with your other physical symptoms. Dr. Sarno does say, however, that these disorders should also be treated by your doctor.

Best wishes......
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think you can beat the hives. But it might not happen overnight. Your unconscious is "convinced" this is physical - you've had the tests to prove it! But then again, you're smarter than that because you were able to run 26.2 miles WITHOUT PAIN.

I don't have the allergy problem, but about 3 months ago I started suffering bad acne. I'm 47 years old! Why? Probably because after running 8 marathons myself (last one in October 2003), I got pain on the left side of my body. After learning about TMS, I gradually worked into running again and 3 months ago signed up for the Seattle Half Marathon. That required an airline ticket, registration fee, and a schedule of training. Perfect time for TMS somewhere. Well, I finished that half marathon and lo and behold, the acne is gradually getting better. It's a persistent bugger, but I'm convinced I will beat it.

Keep up the positive attitide! Runners. Yep, we're different!
Go to Top of Page

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  13:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do feel that a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I ran the distance. Sometimes taking it on head on brings about residual benefits. My hives aren't so bad today, maybe because I'm talking about it.

Neil

Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  23:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil--Congratulations on your breakthrough. It reminds me of ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes, who started his running career one night after another night at the bar, drunk and disgusted with himself. He went home, put on some old sneakers and proceeded to run all night long. When morning came, he was exhausted and bleeding, but also exhilirated. That was the start of a running career that had him setting long distance records (300 mile races so far; getting ready to do a 500 mile race from SF to LA).

Another thing: Your history of miscellaneous symptoms for which no diagnosis was found sounds like me. I have even had the armpit soreness--severe soreness that lasted months and then disappeared. I have also had the limb weakness, plantar fascitis, hamstring tendonitis, back pain, rotator cuff pain, and more. Of course, no cause was ever found for most of these.
Go to Top of Page

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wrldtrv, that's why I so quickly accepted the diagnosis. Too many people on these boards, and too many symptoms listed in Dr. Sarno's books, were exactly the symptoms I was having. I think it was also easier for me because all my tests came back normal. Now if I can just overcome the advice of my allergist. I'm being safe, but trying to eat foods from the "if you are allergic to grass and ragweed, you may be allergic to this" list. In the past if I ate these foods, my mind would say, ok, I'll break out any minute now. Re-conditioning is the first step.

Neil

Go to Top of Page

pault

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  05:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil , the biggest tool of tms is fear:what if I break out,my mom had it,can I get to the Alergist fast enough,etc,etc.All maifestations of a very clever unconscious brain holding you hostage with all those symtoms.Do what you want , and tell your brain it won't make any difference anyway,as nothing will change.You have shown you can perform in spite of all!When you show your brain you are defiant enough the hives will serve no purpose and another symtom will appear,until you get complete control of your unconscious brain and are able to fend them off as they appear.You will succeed because "you" want to! Keep reading , Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  05:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, thanks for the words of encouragement. My sciatica is hanging out at about a 2 out of 10 since the spontaneous marathon and my hives were bad this weekend, but I only took medication for it 1 day out of the 3, and I spent Sunday visiting friends with cats! Thanks again to everybody on this forum and thank you Dr. Sarno!

Neil

Go to Top of Page

anne

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that is awesome. I was told I have inner hives. I bet its tms. Something I found when hives comes up is that I'm under a of pressure at work. I eat something or do the lawn work too much and my asthma starts. Fear is a big factor and when doctors tell you not to do it
we need to not listen and use our own judgement.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000