TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Things i find objectionable in TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aorta

76 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  22:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im doing this quickly.
You can hurt yourself physically. It can become semichronic. There are a number of well documented myofascial conditions and repetetive injuries i believe exist.I believe you can twist your body the wrong way, or hurt your shoulder muscles, plexus, nerves, in a way to set up a chronic condition.The quoted guy that works heavy all day but cant bend to shave is perfectly natural. The chinese call this "picking the plum?" We are able to continue to hurt ourselves for a living, and go home later reach for the salt on the table, and not be able to move. your body will let you keep going in motion like that, then when you settle, the muscles, fascia, and so on settle into a painful bundle. He can do the same thing tommorrow, chances are he is working on a chronic problem. It would be nice to think we can all lift pianos all day and not do damage, but as one who does heavy lifting and repetitive work, i can attest to it.
Dr.Sarno is not a psychologist as he points out, and yet goes to the root of all this to freudian things, rage, childhood.Events in the past. I think most people are doing the damage by their thinking on a daily basis. Therefore therapy would involve correcting things we do every day, as opposed to looking for old skeletons and hoping by seeing them, we will be cured.
Well thats enough for now. But how about a silly question. With so much muscle suffering, if the physical cause is oxygen deficiency to the muscles, why not oxygenate the muscles?

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  00:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Aorta,

Yes, oxygenating the muscles can fix the TMS pain - exercising increases the blood flow to muscle and oxygenates it, so does massage and probably chiro treatments. No argument there.

Dr Sarno says he accepts 50% of the patients seeking treatment as not everyone is accepting of his theories. Looks like your are one of the non-accepting ones but I am cured after 30 years of problems !!!AARRGGhh, yes 30 years of not living to my full potential -- so no one, repeat no one, will change my opinion of this great doctor. But if not everyone agrees with me so what! Let it go!

Anne

Scottydog
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  05:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It would be nice to think we can all lift pianos all day and not do damage, but as one who does heavy lifting and repetitive work, i can attest to it.

I think you are right.Lifting all day IS damaging you.You should take it easy and maybe eat a couple of ibuprophen,lift properly and strengthen the stomach muscles.

I,on the other hand,lift heavy things all day painfree.....I suppose I'm just more adapted to my environment.....superior genetic make-up. Be care ful not to reach too far for salt shakers and the like and I'll wait for you at the corner.

Oh yeah,that Sarno guy??

I read his book.....how DARE he insinuate that I'm not just better than everybody else?? It is quite clear that I am just stronger,better faster.

Gotta go.....eat some doritos and smoke a cigarette!

-out

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

diverlarry

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  06:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bull** BUll** Bull**
Thats the type of "facts" "information " i got from Doctors, media, medical field. It brainwashed me , programmed me, robbed me of my health for years.
If we reach to pick up someting, why dosen't ones elbow,arm,hand wrist, finger go into violent spasms....instead of someones back ?
(BS programming)
Chronic pain by bending over.... defies logic.....actually makes me laugh now.
The one thing i do like about these posts is, its highlights the absurdity of these theories which motivates people here to write of their success stories.
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  07:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave has another thread to stop. Our little attention junkie can't seem to control himself or be rational. He keeps coming to the soccer field with a basketball and insisting he be allowed to play. tsk, tsk.

Polly
Go to Top of Page

aorta

76 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am i the little attention junkie? I hope not, im in too much pain.

However, i think its rather absurd to think that we can all lift as much weight as we want, in any manner we want, and not cause a pain syndrome.
The tms point is taken that you shouldnt baby your back, or think you have permanently damaged something that may not be. But..
i think its absurd to think that lifting heavy objects repeatedly, in the wrong manner wont harm you. The skeletal system, musclular system like any other mechanics are meant to be used in an efficient way.Trying to lift a heavy object from behind your back certainly wont work. Many weightlifters injure themselves doing lat pull downs, that is pulling a bar down behind their necks with heavy weight. It goes against the mechanics of the body, you are asking for an injury in a complicated area. We are not supermen, or superwomen, we cannot lift or pull weights that are too much for us, but that doesnt stop us from trying. Especially in vulnerable areas.
I had a dog on a retratable lead run as fast as he could, and i wasnt paying attention. It snapped my arm when it reached the end, and severely hurt my rotator cuff. If i tied the leash to a truck and did the same thing, it would probably dislocate the shoulder and pull me over on the ground.
This is one of the problems i have with this thinking. You can definately injure yourself doing something stupid, we are not superheros. Those that think they are invincible will come to a rude awakening.This is my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyg

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobody ever said that you can't hurt yourself. the point is that physical injuries would go away after a couple of weeks or months, but tms can last for many months and years after the physical strain or pull has healed.

I think people are suspecting you may be a troll because of your recalcitrance and failure to see some obvious concepts--looks like a game of devil's advocate to us.

Edited by - johnnyg on 06/21/2005 09:28:28
Go to Top of Page

aorta

76 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnnyg,

I am not a troll, im still here unless im removed.Thanks for answering my other question about your history by the way.
if you read basball65 post, it seems a satiric look at hurting yourself.You are right, you can hurt yourself, im glad you realize that. You say the pain can be weeks or months, but it can even be years unfortunately.I think Dr. Sarno was saying that you shouldnt baby your injury or think youve destroyed something completely, or go into a chair and stay there, and i agree. But there are physical things that can happen and take a long time to recover if at all.
If people start thinking they can do anything, this could be disastrous. I unloaded and loaded trucks for the past fifteen years, every day, and yes i could feel it mounting and mounting that i was exceeding my limits but kept going anyway. I believe there are emotional reasons for these things as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aorta

You can definately injure yourself doing something stupid, we are not superheros. Those that think they are invincible will come to a rude awakening.This is my opinion.

Of course this is true. Injuries occur all the time.

The key is, our bodies heal completely. When we break a bone, it heals stronger than it was before.

Injuries do not become chronic. If you pull a muscle, it is no more susceptible to re-injury than any other muscle. If you experience pain in that muscle 5 years later, it is not due to the "old injury." That injury is long healed.
Go to Top of Page

aorta

76 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to think the body heals completely, but i feel that is not always the case. There are of course autoimmune diseases, things like aids, and many conditions even in the animal kingdom that have negative progression. In all of life there are forces building up, and forces breaking down. Is arthritis something that heals or goes away? As far as muscular chronic pain, i believe unfortunately that there are syndromes in muscle, fascia, connective tissue, nerve, that continue on for a long time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000