TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS but new to the board
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbraw

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to a son-in-law who is a doctor, I read the Sarno books and have stopped the "circling" from doctor to chiropractor or orthopedic doctor with the usual diagnoses after x-rays and MRI. It is frustrating, living in the midwest (Louisville area) and not be able to find a doctor with an open mind wiling to learn and read. (My son-in-law is an allergist but one who firmly believes in the mind-body connection.) I have just taken over the medical library at a hospital here, and, if I can find a willing doctor, I will be glad to let you other midwesterners know. Like the rest of you, I just continue to read, reread, and ignore what are now just twinges of pain from time to time. The pain I've had for ten years no longer rules my life. Dr. Schecter's CD's are great to listen to also. I haven't made it through his workbook yet, however. I have even considered just getting on a plane or into the car to reach a doctor who can at least work with me.

I have also been just quietly reading this message board for at least a couple of months, and it has been most helpful.

Jan

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  17:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan

Your recovery has started; the pain no longer rules your life. I can't remember where I read it; if it was from a book of Dr Sarno's or somebody else's, but a line that stuck in my head was, 'Once the recovery from psychologically induced pain has begun, it is unstoppable.'

When I first read 'The Mindbody Prescription' I was very keen to find a doctor to work with me, but I couldn't find one in the whole UK, but the good news is, I got better anyway. I still think, however, that my recovery might have been speeded up if I had found someone - all I'm saying is it is not necessary; so before you go paying out shedloads of money to someone you have to travel a great distance to see - give it a go yourself for a bit longer.

By the way - I didn't make it through Dr Schecter's workbook either.

If you want a change from Dr Sarno's books - I'm in the middle of a book that you might find interesting and helpful. It's called 'From Paralysis to Fatigue - A History of Psychomatic Illness in the Modern Era' by Edward Shorter. It was recommended by someone on this board and gives a fascinating insight in psychosomatic conditions including pain conditions.

Best wishes
Anne
Go to Top of Page

jbraw

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  17:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Anne G,
Thank you for your response. All good advice, and I appreciate your comments. This site does make one feel that the battle does not need to be fought alone. I will definitely order the book you've mentioned also. Thank Heaven for the computer age. I send the best of regards to you in the United Kingdom.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  22:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan,

Congratulations on your progress so far! Since you don't have much pain anymore, I'm a bit puzzled why you are still looking for a doctor. Are there other symptoms that haven't gone away or is physical activity still a problem?

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  14:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1999
... I'm a bit puzzled why you are still looking for a doctor...

Hi Jim1999,

Maybe because perfectionists are always looking for confirmation? To "be sure"?

The good news is that once you are in TMS recovery that is usually enough for any of us to confirm that the diagnosis is TMS and no doc needed. Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 06/13/2005 14:46:49
Go to Top of Page

jbraw

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  08:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Stryder is right; it's just the perfectionist coming out, I guess. Although, it would be good to have a professional just say "Yes, it is TMS." I have found that focusing on what needs to be done rather than wondering if I can do it has been the greatest motivator. When I begin to hurt again, I take some time and put on Dr. Schecter's CD's just to hear a doctor talk about this dratted condition. Of course, just reading Sarno's books and finding myself on every page (and realizing that I've always felt that I must have complete control) was the great eye-opener. I'll be eternally grateful that my son-in-law happened to catch John Stossel's interview with Dr. Sarno. Thanks for the comments also!! Jan

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  22:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan,

The first time I read your original post, I thought you wanted to see a doc just to be sure. Then I thought there might be some other reason, so I thought it would be safer to ask. If it's any help, I was able to recover from TMS without seeing a TMS doc.

I'm also someone who learned about Dr. Sarno from John Stossel's report. I watched it when it originally aired in 1999.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

bhbauman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  05:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Jan, I am encouraged by your determination in the face of little professional support out there. And Anne, I loved the quote, 'Once the recovery from psychologically induced pain has begun, it is unstoppable.' LOVE THAT!

I'm having a REAL difficult time getting on top of this whole thing. I'm in lots of pain these days. Its strange too because I read and journal and TOTALLY accept that I have TMS and all that it stands for. I accept it in my head anyway. I guess just not in my heart.

I am lucky in that I live in New York City and there is a doctor in New Jersey named, Dr. Paul W. Gwozdz, who is a protégé, one could say, of Dr. Sarno's. He costs $500! For visits and a lecture and follow ups. I can hardly afford it, but I'm thinking that I REALLY need some help! My inner-CHILD, I guess, NEEDS someone to tell him that its okay to let go. Or something.

I'm torn.

~ Ben
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  07:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bhbauman

I accept it in my head anyway. I guess just not in my heart.

This is common. TMS-prone people tend to be thinkers, not feelers. In many ways our intelligence has become an escape from our emotions. We prefer to rationalize and analyze than to scream and cry.

Sometimes it is necessary to feel some of those repressed emotions, but since we cannot access them, the best we can do is try to feel the emotions of every moment instead of brushing them aside. It's not easy since our defenses took a lifetime to develop. It takes focus and determination, and most of all, patience.
Go to Top of Page

jbraw

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  07:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Dave,
"Thinkers, not feelers." When I was very small, my grandmother looked me in the eye one day and told me not to cry, and that was the end of that---for the rest of my life. Even when losing my last two husbands to cancer, I took care of them to the end and just kept on working like the devil to avoid the feelings. At the difficult times, I've always just lost myself in work, books, studying, anything to keep my mind from the negative feelings. So you really hit it on the head with the comment. Add to all this the terrible drive to always be the best. I try to feel more, but avoid any situation where that is necessary. No wonder my back hurts, especially when I'm doing my favorite thing, walking. Now the right foot is hurting, so I looked at David Schecter's CD yesterday and read a little of Sarno's book, and it seems better this morning. I'm off today to reconnect some very old friends. Even this too I have avoided because of the feelings that come flooding back, but not today. Thanks for the comments. Jan

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000