TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 support needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vikki

95 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  20:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello:

I posted yesterday about my so-called "piriformis" problem and how I think it's TMS. I really need some support in overcoming this.

I have finished Sarno's book now, and I do believe it is TMS -- nothing else fits. At the time that the "injury" occurred, I had just turned 30. I was worried about getting older. I feared that my body would no longer work as well as it did. I also had some family members who were trying to get me to switch from running to walking, claiming that running leads to chronic injury. This seems to me a perfect opportunity for TMS to strike.

I just keep having doubts about my ability to overcome this. I hear all these stories about people feeling better instantly after reading Sarno's book. This did not happen for me, and I feel discouraged. I know I shouldn't feel discouraged -- I know it can take time and that I should maintain my confidence.

I've been trying to sit, to tough it out and ignore the pain, but it becomes unbearable. I'm so angry about how this problem has taken over my life. I am a healthy person -- I eat a healthy diet. I work out a lot more than most people. It sounds really weird when I say it, but I am so angry with my brain -- my subconscious -- for inflicting this (TMS) on me. I've canceled trips because of my inability to sit on a plane. I've modified my workstation so I can stand. I am scared that I won't be able to overcome this -- that I'll live the rest of my life in pain.

I'm sorry to rant. I would appreciate any advice and support. How long did it take you to start overcoming TMS? What can I do besides reading about it and informing myself? The book makes total sense to me. How do I get it to sink in?

Thank you for listening ...

Vikki

Marilyn

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  22:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"'m sorry to rant. I would appreciate any advice and support. How long did it take you to start overcoming TMS? What can I do besides reading about it and informing myself? The book makes total sense to me. How do I get it to sink in?

Thank you for listening ..."

Hi Vicki,

I know how you feel about being so angry at your brain for doing this. I feel the same way. I'm fairly new to this myself, but I did order Dr. Schechter's workbook and cd's of the lecture programs he gives (based on what he learned from Dr. Sarno). There is also a cd of an interview he has with a psychiatrist that addresses some of these issues. I am working in the workbook but I just got the cd's today so haven't listened to them yet.

From all the information I have read, the doubt that we feel is an actual symptom of the disorder. I assume it is another "trick" our brain is trying to play on us. I also have read, and certainly believe that the more we can read, think, analyze, stay immersed in these new ideas, the better it is. Even when we know something intellectually, it takes time to have it sink in emotionally and psychologically.

Just some of the things I have been thinking. Hope some of it might strike a chord with you.

Take care,
Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  22:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vicki,

I congratulate you on your courage and at the same time am deeply sympathetic to all that you're going through.

Your description of what was going on around the time of your "injury" (isn't it kind of liberating to put quotes around that?") sounds very TMS-ish indeed.

One constant throughout your message seems to be fear. Based on my experience, for what that's worth, fear can be a huge obstacle to getting better. On the other hand, the good news is it can be overcome.

As you point out, you've already done much of the intellectual work. Now maybe it's time to get to that next level by taking that huge leap of faith that the pain is benign and that it cannot hurt you. I'm betting once you make some progress with that, your healing will be rapid.

Good thoughts to you,
A.
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  09:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also was told I had the pirisformus syndrome by my chiro. I have resumed my working out and am making progress. THe one thing I did not get back to was working the glutes, and I realized this just this week, after a few months of being back to normal. My butt hasn't been acting up at all for a good two months, and yesterday I did a glute workout at the gym. Not strenuous, just what I used to do. And whaddya know, the left butt wants so bad to make me think I can't handle it. But I now know better and am ignoring it. I have soreness in both glutes but the left is the one that gave me all the trouble and that's the one that is acting up today. So I am ignoring it and assuring myself that not only will I ignore it, I will now keep the workout in my routine so as to overcome the silly threats that it's trying to poke at me.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  10:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you, Mary. Sounds like you're making lots of progress. I admire your courage. I'm actually starting to enjoy ignoring my lengthy list of aches, pains, and twinges. It's really kind of liberating. I took a run the other day and had pain in my right foot all the way, my left foot part of the way, my left knee part of the way,and twinges in the right hamstring part of the way...This stuff is stubborn, but so am I...

And the bottom line is every single "injury" I have has gotten much better since getting back into the TMS way of looking at things

Good thoughts,
A.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000