TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Practicing Anger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  10:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since TMS is all about unconscious anger how are we supposed to feel it if all we have is our conscious being to work with. This was a question that bothered me for a long time. I wish someone would have said "Just pretend that you are angry and act out the anger and see what comes up". In other words don't be inhibited about being angry even if you don't feel consciously angry. If you start the process of displaying the anger then the unconscious anger may join the bandwagon and you may really feel as angry as you REALLY feel.

Edited by - miehnesor on 05/27/2005 18:17:11

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  13:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting point, Miehnesor. Certainly pretending to feel anger could perhaps be the catalyst needed to begin the de-conditioning needed to allow natural emotions to surface. It could maybe be better described as 'practising' anger, rather than pretending - after all, these feelings are natural, but in many of us have become supressed.

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  21:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi miehnesor,

One of the "skills" I had to re-learn was to not surpress my anger, or my disappointment, or whatever negative emotion happens along. I had become really good over my lifetime of not showing any outward negative emotion.

So, you don't actually have to "get mad" and hurt anyone, but you can say in a neutral way, "I'm very angry right now. It doesn't mean I don't care any more, but I need to express my feelings that this bothers me a lot."

If that is not sufficient, you can get raging mad and yell and scream, just vent in private. The car is a great place to vent especially when you are driving alone, no one gets caught in the cross fire, and you get to let it all out.

There are quite a few posts in this forum on this subject, do a search and check out many other suggestions.

Hope this helps, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

alanc

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  05:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact that you are aware of the emotion is all that is needed. Remember education and awareness is the solution.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  16:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stryder

If that is not sufficient, you can get raging mad and yell and scream, just vent in private. The car is a great place to vent especially when you are driving alone, no one gets caught in the cross fire, and you get to let it all out.
-Stryder

Sarno says that for about 5-10% of TMS suffers actually have to feel the emotion to get improvement and it seems that I fit into that minority. I use various methods to try and feel the feelings and i've found that mixing things up and doing different things helps the most. When i'm really feeling the symptoms i've found that if i'm alone I can do visualizations where I go back in time and I can often feel the anger. As it turns out just knowing the anger is there is not enough i've got to actually feel it. When I do the relief is immediate.

The motivation for the post is to suggest to those TMS'ers that are wondering about the repressed rage when they can't feel it is to try taking a leap of faith that the rage is really there and that it may be possible to trigger it by practicing being angry- provided you have an idea about who you may be angry at. I might also add that this also can take a long time to really feel and you may need to do it many times before something happens. For me I actually did not first feel rage. First it was fear. Interesting enough just feeling the fear without any anger immediately modulated the symptoms. Over time I started to notice that after feeling the fear it was sometimes followed by the rage. I realized that the fear was fear of the rage itself. This is precisely what Sarno says but I didn't actually believe it till I felt it. When I do the visualization I wait until I feel the fear first. That is the green light to let go and practice the anger. This strategy is helpful to me. I hope it may be useful to others as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000