TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 don't know where to go from here. psychotherapy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

music321

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  20:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've had MAJOR issues with fibromyalgia for years. I couldn't walk for a long period. I've come to accept TMS, and have read all of Sarno's books. In The Divided Mind Sarno States that 80% of people get better upon hearing of the psychosomatic cause of their problem. The other 20% either doesn't get better, or experiences a symptom substitution. For this latter 20%, he recommends pyschoanalysis, and most recover.

I've been seeing a licensed clinical social worker for about 2.5 yrs, and she's helped me quite a bit, both in terms of restructuring my outlook on life, and teaching me psychological techniques for calming myself, etc. However, I still have TMS.

My home situation is stressful, I can't get a better job to afford to leave because of TMS, and I haven't been able to get social security disability. I spoke with a well-regarded TMS psychologist and was told that the cost per session was $250 (insurance not accepted). For me to regain control of my life, this would be money well spent. However, my gut tells me that I can get over my problems without spending this kind of money.

Interestingly, I took a vacation for the first time in many years recently. Many of my symptoms improved, and the improvements are still with me. Part of me thinks that once I leave my poor home environment, things might get better. Another part of me knows that the home environment isn't the whole reason for my problems, and that irrespective of leaving, I still need to fix myself.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  11:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems you have a good handle on TMS and how it applies to you.

I would not get hung up on Dr. Sarno's statistics. My personal experience, as well as many on this forum, is that it takes a lot of time and continued focus to recover.

It is important to take a long-term view and not put a timetable on recovery. Psychoanalysis can be helpful but not essential.

In my opinion the most important part is to recondition your response to the pain, and not to find the root causes (which is impossible anyway). You can try to address the things in your life that are likely to be the sources, but for those you cannot, acceptance is key.
Go to Top of Page

hope808

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  09:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend the Neuroplastic Transformation Workbook by Michael Moskowitz MD and Marla Golden DO. Their work has been highlighted by Norman Doidge. It is both practical and consistent with Dr. Sarno's approach.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  02:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to see a counsellor years ago who was an ME counsellor using Dr Mickel's methods. They've had lots of success, though are possibly out of fashion now as I never hear about it these days. But there is stuff online and a booklet available I think.
I was a people pleaser and also appearing to be a kind and good person ie so that people thought well of me, was very important.
The counsellor gave me simple Keys to Health:-
Key 1 : Say 'no more' to unfair treatment by using loving disallowance.
Key 2: Communicate your feelings honestly.
Key 3: Put your needs first (at all times).

I see there are some blogs explaining this online so I won't say more. I'm not saying sign up with an expensive counsellor but just that I found this helpful for me, and there is more online if you want to read it.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  04:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how this "ghost thread" popped up, but if the OP is still seeking TMS help, IMHO seeing a non-TMS therapist is a crap-shoot, you may get better or, you may not, and spend lots of money and waste lots of time. In my experience with TMS specific therapists, they understand the nature of the problem, cut to the chase, and guide YOU to fixing it--understanding the TMS concept is the solution to guiding YOU to change your thinking about "the problem".

There are many TMS therapists doing phone or skype sessions. If money is an object, ask about discounted costs, sliding scale, working with a TMS therapist doing an internship, and there's currently one generously giving free introductory sessions as he establishes himself as a TMS therapist. A noted TMS therapist told me that he never had to give more then a dozen sessions in order to get the TMS "KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN" message across.

Seeing a non-TMS savvy therapist is a crap shoot, like taking your BMW to an Audi dealer to get it fixed--they may be able to eventually repair it--but it will likely take longer because it's not what they are experienced in working on, on a daily basis--why re-invent the wheel? Sometimes "saving money" in the short-run winds up costing you more time and money in the long-run.

g'luck!
tt

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 11/24/2018 23:13:44
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  06:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a free TMS session :

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/free-30-min-tms-coaching-session-tambi%C3%A9n-en-espa%C3%B1ol.19901/
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  14:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

A noted TMS therapist told me that he never had to give more then a dozen sessions in order to get the TMS "KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN" message across.
tt

It is a fallacy that you keep repeating Tom. You are referring to Don Dubin.

Dubin said that because he sold blocks of 12 sessions at a time and people would simply not renew for another dozen sessions.

I had 24 sessions with Don and 2 friends had 24 and 12 sessions respectively. None of us improved under his care.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  19:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had three sessions with him and had great improvement. He NEVER attempted to sell be a block of sessions. I DON'T believe you! This is an internet message board and anyone can say anything they want with NO proof. Shame on you for defaming a very good person and a great TMS practitioner who is now deceased.

So do you and your friends still have TMS? If your symptoms are cured, why don't you HELP those still suffering and tell us what "cured" you.

If anyone wants to hear Don Dubin, he appears on Dr. Schecheter's tapes which may still be available.
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  20:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom - I had 3 sessions with Don Dubin also, he helped me after a relapse and the 3rd session was more of a review, I was much better and he said I didn't need more therapy.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  21:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the corroboration on Don Dubin, he was a very dear man.

Happy Holidays!
tt
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  22:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tennis Tom,

Exactly how am I defaming Don Dubin?

I repeat, he sold me 12 sessions at a discount. I did it twice for a total of 24 sessions. He was very nice. Very well versed in Jewish history. He however did not manage to help me.

How are you helping people exactly when you mostly talk to yourself on this forum?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  10:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alix

Tennis Tom,

Exactly how am I defaming Don Dubin?

I repeat, he sold me 12 sessions at a discount. I did it twice for a total of 24 sessions. He was very nice. Very well versed in Jewish history. He however did not manage to help me.

How are you helping people exactly when you mostly talk to yourself on this forum?

It took you three months to reply!?!--Maybe you're just a slow learner--give it time Alix! Remember Edna St. Vincent Millay's great quote in Dr. Sarno's book :

"Pity me that the heart is slow to learn
What the swift mind beholds at every turn."

The GOOD DOCTOR knew that his TMS approach was not right for everyone, so he carefully vetted potential patients who were psychologically amenable, so as not to waste anyone's time or money. Some, probably MOST, need their TMS symptoms as a "PROTECTOR". A protective psychological DEFENSE MECHANISM, from having to deal with their more painfully perceived emotional issues.

So are you "cured"? If not, maybe you need to go over to the TMS wiki--there are a lot of nice people over there. I'm not here to help anybody in particular--TMS is my hobby.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Sir Winston Churchill

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Edited by - tennis tom on 02/13/2019 13:05:38
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  14:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am cured. Thank you for inquiring.

What about yourself? Did you ever suffer from MB syndromes or are you just here to socialize?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  19:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I am cured.
What about yourself? Did you ever suffer from MB syndromes or are you just here to socialize?

Asking that question shows you know NOTHING about TMS! Making a statement that you are "CURED" proves it. What is MB an acronym for?--meatballs?--I like Italian food -- or is it another B.S. re-name for TMS/psychsomatic dis-ease to create more "medical" jargon, keeping the
white-coats in power, so the Good Doctor's theory can be be monetized?

I have a gf--do you? TMS is my hobby. I was hoping you would pop out of your hole so I could play whack a mole with you.

See ya' in a few months when you come up with another witty rejoinder, so far you're a one hit wonder.

Sir Winston Churchill

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
(212) 263-6035

Edited by - tennis tom on 03/08/2019 07:01:27
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  10:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a thread about Don Dubin, now deceased:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1330
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  21:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom - thanks for this Don was a great guy and a great therapist
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  08:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Al, nice to hear from you. Don was a very nice man, I was hoping to play some tennis with him at his club on Mulholland Drive someday--but me being a TMS PROCRASTINATOR it never came--the road to hell is paved with good intentions--but, I'm going to be spending some time in SoCal and will visit his club. I came across an obit for Don and will add it to this thread.

Hopefully I'll make it up your way this summer for the grass courts and we can get together for a some TMS chat and some fish & Chips.

It's the Memorial Day holiday down here, the official kick off for summer, BBQ, tennis and hang around the pool looking at tatoos and string bikinis--maybe even some reflection on all the soldiers who fought and died so we can have margaritas in the hot-tub. Do you'll have Memorial Day up there?

Cheers,
tt
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  20:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom - Fish and chips would be nice. We have Remembrance Day on Nov.11
No bikinis here in November unfortunately
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  00:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's Don Dubin's obituary from the wiki:

https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Don_Dubin,_MFT

Don Dubin, MFT

Don Dubin (deceased) was a psychotherapist in LA to whom Dr. David Schechter refered some of his TMS patients. He passed away on August 18, 2009. Don had TMS himself and fully recovered. Later, he had a relapse, but was able to recover from that as well. His approach to TMS therapy was to keep to a relatively small number of sessions (the most he has ever done for TMS is 15) that are very goal-directed and that emphasize education. He used to offer phone consults for TMS as described in this thread.

Obituary
Obituary from Zirana/Santa Monica

DUBIN, Donald Born in Far Rockaway, May 28, 1927, passed away on Aug. 18, 2008. Parents were Ruth Love and Jack Dubin, both of whom emigrated from Russia. Don graduated N.Y.U. in Business and served in the military. He was Vice President of Terminal Hudson Electronics. In a change of careers, he went back to school and earned a Masters Degree in Counseling Psychology at U.S.C. He spent the rest of his working years helping patients in a psychotherapeutic practice. He specialized in helping people with mind-body pain as described by Dr. John Sarno. He worked closely with Dr. David Schecter, M.D. Don's other passions were tennis at the Mulholland Tennis Club, the survival of Israel, and the study of the Torah and the Talmud. Don will be missed by his loving wife Judy Steingieser Dubin, son James Dubin (Rose), daughter Deidre Waxman (Alan), and grandsons Jacob and Simon, as well as his stepsons, Randy Steingieser (Anne Morea), Henry Steingieser (Jessica Rhude), new grandson, Buster, and sister Roberta Schwarz. He was predeceased by his first wife, Dr. Renee Dubin. In lieu of flowers, the family would prefer donations to either Ahavat Torah Congregation: P.O. Box 442, Santa Monica, CA 90406 or American Friends of Magen David-ARMDI. May God bless his soul and grant him eternal peace. We will all miss his presence and his gentle soul. Don's Funeral Service will take place today, Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. at Hillside Memorial Park, 6001 W. Centinela Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90045. Malinow & Silverman Mortuary 800-710-7100
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  19:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Asking that question shows you know NOTHING about TMS! Making a statement that you are "CURED" proves it.

You don't like the word "cure". But TT, you are the one that keeps writing about it:

YUP! The GOOD DOCTOR'S "cure" is available in any one of his four books...Ever hear of the "book cure" Alix?...But, only YOU can achieve "the cure", by understanding and accepting...The best things you can do to cure yourself...etc etc
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  22:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alix, you must have a lot of time on your hands with this "corona crisis"--it's probably not a good idea to post when you're high.

Thanks for reminding us about the PAIN CURE CLINIC Boulder, CO. hopefully someone will benefit from their TMS work. I've talked to them and they are legit TMS--I know YOU'VE never taken the time to call them--it would probably take all of 10 minutes.

quote:

quote:
Asking that question shows you know NOTHING about TMS! Making a statement that you are "CURED" proves it.

You don't like the word "cure". But TT, you are the one that keeps writing about it:

YUP! The GOOD DOCTOR'S "cure" is available in any one of his four books...Ever hear of the "book cure" Alix?...But, only YOU can achieve "the cure", by understanding and accepting...The best things you can do to cure yourself...etc etc

Sir Winston Churchill

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
(212) 263-6035

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000