TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 don't know where to go from here. psychotherapy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

music321

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  20:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've had MAJOR issues with fibromyalgia for years. I couldn't walk for a long period. I've come to accept TMS, and have read all of Sarno's books. In The Divided Mind Sarno States that 80% of people get better upon hearing of the psychosomatic cause of their problem. The other 20% either doesn't get better, or experiences a symptom substitution. For this latter 20%, he recommends pyschoanalysis, and most recover.

I've been seeing a licensed clinical social worker for about 2.5 yrs, and she's helped me quite a bit, both in terms of restructuring my outlook on life, and teaching me psychological techniques for calming myself, etc. However, I still have TMS.

My home situation is stressful, I can't get a better job to afford to leave because of TMS, and I haven't been able to get social security disability. I spoke with a well-regarded TMS psychologist and was told that the cost per session was $250 (insurance not accepted). For me to regain control of my life, this would be money well spent. However, my gut tells me that I can get over my problems without spending this kind of money.

Interestingly, I took a vacation for the first time in many years recently. Many of my symptoms improved, and the improvements are still with me. Part of me thinks that once I leave my poor home environment, things might get better. Another part of me knows that the home environment isn't the whole reason for my problems, and that irrespective of leaving, I still need to fix myself.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Dave

USA
1863 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  11:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems you have a good handle on TMS and how it applies to you.

I would not get hung up on Dr. Sarno's statistics. My personal experience, as well as many on this forum, is that it takes a lot of time and continued focus to recover.

It is important to take a long-term view and not put a timetable on recovery. Psychoanalysis can be helpful but not essential.

In my opinion the most important part is to recondition your response to the pain, and not to find the root causes (which is impossible anyway). You can try to address the things in your life that are likely to be the sources, but for those you cannot, acceptance is key.
Go to Top of Page

hope808

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  09:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend the Neuroplastic Transformation Workbook by Michael Moskowitz MD and Marla Golden DO. Their work has been highlighted by Norman Doidge. It is both practical and consistent with Dr. Sarno's approach.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000