TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 Afraid to run in May, 1:30 half marathon in Nov.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GIANTSteps

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  12:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few here may be familiar with my successful TMS self-diagnosis, but as of my last post, my recovery was still a work in progress.

The short version is that I'd had chronic runner's knee symptoms for about 16 months and unwisely gave up or greatly reduced doing every thing I loved - running, hiking, skiing, cycling, climbing, etc., simply due to the expectation of pain.

I dusted off a book I'd had on the shelf for about 7 years and never read - Healing Back Pain, The Mind-Body Connection. Thought the concept to be a little out there and way more psychological than I'd expected, but I read success stories here and decided I had to finally give it a read. Glad I did. In all of Dr. Sarno's descriptions of his patients, I saw myself. I immediately accepted my own diagnosis and realized why my doctors were largely unable to help me for so long. I had to understand this for myself and realize that traditional doctors aren't in business to tell people that their ailments are psychological.

In early May, I started running agin. Started at a mile at a time, 3 miles a week. Ever so slowly I increased my mileage while learning how to block accute TMS attacks out before they're allowed to proliferate. I learned how to truly listen to my body and how to distinguish between TMS pain, and signals from my body to slow down. I'd confront TMS attacks mid-run with little sprints, daring my mind to prove that the pain is necessary. I'd also slow down when my body knew it needed to. This was the key. I realized that through my entire life, I've had various bouts of TMS pain and "real" pain but never recognized there was a difference. Now my prior inability to sustain a prolonged training plan without injury makes a lot of sense.

By early November I was signed up for the Berkeley Half Marathon. I was doing 13 mile long runs on Sundays but still only running 23 miles a week, but almost entirely pain-free. I was holding about a 7 minute mile on my 10 milers and set 1:30 as my HM goal. I thought it to be ambitious given my low weekly mileage. I was never a runner and this would be my first half marathon. I ran a 1:29:56 and attribute my success to understanding the mind-body connection. I was previously underestimating what my body can to, and what it is meant to do. I was letting my brain get in the way. The last couple miles of the run were totally mental; the component I always missed.

The experience has truly been life-changing and I've gained not only physical health, but a confidence and competitive edge and motivation that I've never had before. I turned 30 in May and feel better than I did at 19 all because I read Dr. Sarno's book and understand my own capabilities. I never wanted to run, always thought it was bad for the knees, back and joints. Running always hurt and was really hard. Now it's become my addiction to the point that I just can't have enough of it. Best high ever! San Francisco Marathon this July, looking to come close to 3:05.

The point here is to never doubt your path to success once you've found it. For me, it was finding a balance between the psychological component and physical rehab. I addressed some of the issues my doctors brought up. They were very good at pointing out some physical imbalances that I still think were a major initial contributing factor to my pain. It was the mental portion that they missed. I was so hung up on my pain that it just became an automatic expectation of pain. Sure there were, and always will be speed bumps and setbacks, some of which may require you to change your approach or immediate expectations, but keeping the psychological connection intact WILL get you there. Happy healing everyone.

Edited by - GIANTSteps on 11/27/2013 12:16:40

ubbelohde

3 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  23:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Messi and also Neymar Untouched via FIFA Trojan

"Not only will ArenaNet make way up their very own machines for that fast and unclean Player vs player combat matches, including the shooter genre's create

http://www.ut14coins.co.uk
http://www.utfifa.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000