TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Daylight saving time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  17:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daylight saving time:

With my Sheldon Cooper type personality I armed myself with a tote of AA batteries and sticky labels for it was daylight savings time, historically it takes about an hour to change time on the twenty clocks hanging in my house. Over the years I’ve streamlined this activity, but this year was different as I was to apply TMS recognition to my task.

Some questions arose immediately, why twenty clocks, indeed why as a retiree do I need to monitor the time at all? These questions trickled into why do I need a clock in every room, do I have some sort of disease?

Let’s forget the Whys and discuss the Hows, for the sticky labels that I attach to each and every battery has to be aligned perfectly. Yes, many a time I force myself to reattach an offending label that is not perfectly straight or central. The writing derived from my draughtsman’s style is sheer OCD quality with every letter square and every label depicting date and year.

This year was different as a finale to my task; I convinced myself that it was not necessary to have every clock upstairs synchronized with those downstairs.

Does anybody else think his way or is it just me?

Thank goodness for TMS,I feel much better.

Ref: Sheldon Cooper of the Big Bang Theory.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/05/2013 17:36:43

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  19:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, OCD tendencies were a real battle in my teens. I've won, though, pretty much. As for clocks, my husband bought about a dozen of those ones that connect with Colorado and change time whenever they are a bit out. It's weird watching the fuss in spring and fall but they eventually settle down and we always know EXACTLY what time it is. Not sure why we care, though.

"It's worth considering that tms is not a treatment but rather an unfolding of the self, and a way of living as an emotionally aware and engaged soul." Plum

PLEASE READ!

I have been studying and using Internal Family Systems (IFS) therapy for several months now and have found it most helpful in digging out what is really going on with me to cause tms symptoms.

Over at tmswiki.org there is NOW a mailing list for those who want to try using IFS for TMS. I hope you will try it out. The conversations are already going strong. You can find a form to sign up here:
http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Parts_Therapy_and_IFS_Mailing_List

For more information, there's also a mailing list thread and a new sub-forum on tmswiki.org.

Learning to use the IFS therapy for self help is pretty easy, as these things go. There is a lot of info available on youtube.com and various other web sites. If you search "Internal Family Systems", you'll find it. My recommendation for a book is Self Therapy by Jay Earley which costs less than $ 10 on Kindle (also available in paperback at amazon.com). It's thorough and clearly written.

The mailing list is a great way for us to support each other as we look at how IFS and other parts therapies can help.

Finally, best wishes to all who suffer from tms, especially those who are still struggling with symptoms. May we all find peace and comfort.

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  21:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took two reads, but I know EXACTLY what you mean by EXACTLY.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  07:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Wind Surfer Guy:
Perhaps I should have posted my comment on your biography in this thread. Your description of the day light savings time ritual in your house is much more telling than is the above trailer.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  11:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peregrinus, my cynical counterpart and fellow retiree,

My story above comes under Ace1’s “Be aware…” advice. It was my first recording of a live performance of perfectionism. It was a lot of fun and a distraction from the family troubles we are going through. And I am an avid fan of the Big Bang Theory comedy show.

Last year I spent many hours journaling extensively about my perfectionism. About halfway through I noticed I was enjoying this task. I relived that, against all odds, I had carved a sports car steering wheel from a solid hunk of aluminum plate. I did this under criticism and with the barest of tools. As I relived the joy and satisfaction I had finishing the last stitch on the leather grip, I realized that perfectionism is a good thing and an integral part of human nature – no need to be ashamed!

If however this sort of perfectionism makes us or people around us bothered in any way like Sheldon Cooper does, or we hold resentment then it can be very harmful.

YIN
As a retiree, I recall tremendous resentment when weeks; even months of CAD models, drawings and effort went under the delete button with no one ever seeing them. I was forced to be perfect for no reason or benefit other than a pay check and bad management.

YANG
So I sought personal satisfaction elsewhere, as I am responsible for my happiness and well being. The same measure of perfectionism was directed to my finances, health and retirement and I am now in very good shape. I now hold to the maxim: “Perfectionism is a gift to be used wisely”.

I find that posting stories like the ones above quite liberating for me, do you?

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/07/2013 11:11:22
Go to Top of Page

Carole

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  12:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Daylight saving time:

Does anybody else think his way or is it just me?

Thank goodness for TMS,I feel much better.

Andy- I sort of think that way too. In fact just the other day, after changing all the clocks around and making sure they were all set to the same exact time, I starting thinking about my perfectionist part of me.
Right after that I was finishing a construction drawing and details for a retaining wall and garden terrace walls. (I still draft by hand- no CAD.) To complete the drawings, I printed out a transparent 'sticky' to add to the drawing and noticed that it wasn't dark enough.
Well, my first reaction and thought was "Hey, you're going to have to make that much better looking and perfect". Nope, I had a short conversation with myself, and decided it wasn't that important that it wasn't perfect enough-- the brick masons know exactly what has to be built, and the owner- they'll take one quick look at it over lunch and not think a thing about it, since it's about to be constructed!

I think I'm going to like these conversations with the perfectionist.

Rinkey
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  13:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

it takes about an hour to change time on the twenty clocks hanging in my house

Andy, Carole, et al:
I spent over a year developing a novel satellite synchronization concept for the USAF. It turns out that you can’t maintain a time standard in the presence of gravity. Since there’s gravity in your house, you’ll never be able to synchronize your twenty clocks. Moreover, as you run up and down the stairs attempting to get all your clocks to agree, you are actually moving backward and forward in time! So relax, being retired means everyday is Saturday and saying it is around 10 is OK.
I know several perfectionists and find them amusing to observe but difficult to get along with. Two of them claim to have FM and another has had three spinal surgeries.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  14:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carole,
Perfectionism is a gift to be used wisely. You did just that. Lucky you being able to use pencil, I remember those days they were slow and sweet.

Be aware! be aware!, of your perfectionism if you dare.

Hi Per,
I’m in discussions with my wife to ditch the clocks; we could get a couple of bucks each for them to put towards our Hawaii fund. The only ones I want to keep are of oak that I made with wise perfectionism.

For 36 years I hung with perfectionists in the working environment and became more like them than I wish for. It can be noted that perfectionists attract others of the same type, are high achievers and have little time for failure and laziness!

Presently I don’t miss work a bit as my memories fade, in fact I have forgotten most of their names! Hanging with perfect windsurfers with perfect equipment in perfect wind is much more fun.

I'll let others run with the batton on this thread for now, I'll sit back and watch Have fun

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/07/2013 14:24:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000