TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Has anyone seen this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

barberboy

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  06:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I read this story on Facebook this morning & thought that some members on the forum would enjoy this! Personally, I think it's a crock of crap. Anything to get sufferers to drop more $ on meds!

http://c.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/steps-authentic-happiness-positive-psychology/2013/oct/17/fibromyalgia-solved-pathology-not-mind/

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  07:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a quick skim, it's interesting the author is a psychotherapist saying FM is NOT psychosomatic but physical. Seems the shrinks are putting themselves out of business, I've never met one in the hot-tub who's ever heard of Sarno. They all want to be pretend white-coats. Why did they ever go into psychology, why not become massage therapists instead?
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  11:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped taking this seriously after reading "...research funded by grants from Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals and Forest Laboratories..." Do you really think any study funded by drug companies is going to say anything different?

In fact, the findings are 100% consistent with Dr. Sarno's theory. It claims there are "alterations in our core body temperature" because "capillary function is diminished" in the "blood supply system".

Where have we heard this before?

It concludes "fibromyalgia has pathology and is not psychosomatic so those who suffer from this ‘syndrome’ can now rest assured it is not all in their minds."

Like many research studies, this one fails to consider the "chicken and egg" scenario. Once again, medical research "concludes" that if they see pathological changes in the body, then it must be a real physical problem. The researchers fail to even consider the possibility that the pathological changes are caused by the brain in response to psychological issues which is the root of Dr. Sarno's theory.

I'm sure the drug companies that funded this study are thrilled with the conclusion. Now all of their patients can "rest assured" that they need to take their anti-depressants in order to treat this "real" condition despite the fact that they have no idea how they actually work.

Sad, but this is the state of much of drug funded medical research today. One hand tied behind the back, the other outstretched to collect their money.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  12:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t have Fibro, but….

Maybe Fibro-CFS is 50/50 mind body or some ratio. I believe TMS will latch onto anything that bothers us even a small paper cut can stress some people.

Since our bodies are nothing more than chemical test tubes, suppose our diet is out of balance enough to kick in Fibro symptoms and keep it there?

Reference Dr. Sarno’s oxygen starvation theory that most of us believe, and I also understand that chemicals are released in our bodies in accordance with brain signals or TMS thoughts perhaps. Food for thought and the discerning mind or do we only want to hear what we already believe?

I’m always suspicious of the Parma and medical studies because they are basically profit driven, and rarely conclusive, and I believe Fibro is TMS but having a TMS personality I question how.

I’m thinking a lot about my diet lately, sort of a checkup and review of what I eat, and with all these thoughts about food I’m now hungry.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/05/2013 12:54:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000