TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS Cold?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GTfan

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  06:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I was fine all weekend. Then I come in to work this week and I have a cold. Runny nose, cough, sore throat, the whole deal. I'm almost sure this is a TMS equivalent, so I'd like to avoid taking decongestants and other meds.

What is y'all's opinion on colds? Do you usually take meds to get get rid of them or simply practice the TMS steps of healing?

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  06:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes just practice tms treatment
Go to Top of Page

GTfan

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  06:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I've got another symptom that has come up recently. I have this burning, itching rash under my right armpit. I figured it was just from wearing tight clothes or something, so I just quit wearing deodorant and starting putting aloe lotion on it.

Well, its been over a month and the rash hasn't gotten any better. I haven't gotten it checked out or anything, but would you say this is most likely a TMS equivalent?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  09:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep meds in the medicine cabinet, for a cold once or twice a year to relieve symptoms to sleep or function better. Dr. Sarno doesn't say to suffer in silence, he recommended pain-killers when things like anxiety impaired the ability to focus on TMS emotional issues or the pain was too great to bear--I just popped a big tylenol yesterday after not taking any for weeks--and felt better for it. Deepak Chopra says staying home with a cold is the Western form of meditation. It's when you take meds on a long-term basis without the guidance of a TMS or competent physician that I would be cautious about. People today especially seniors may have so many RX meds running around in them, they've become walking chemistry laboratory zombies.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  10:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is certainly possible TMS played a role in weakening the immune system enough to make it easier for the virus.

Then again, sometimes a cold is just a cold.

In my opinion there is no reason to expect treating the symptoms as TMS will make the symptoms disappear. The infection will run its course. If medication makes you feel better, why not take them. Personally at the first signs of a cold I take large doses of Vitamin C and start using Zinc lozenges. It seems to reduce the duration of the symptoms. Or maybe it's just a placebo, who knows...

A word of advice: if you do take medication, take only what you need. So many cold medicines are loaded with multiple medications that may be useless for your symptoms. If your nose is running, a decongestant is not likely to help. An antihistamine is what you need. If you have no pain or fever, you don't need the acetaminophen that is in most of them. If you are not coughing, you don't need a cough suppressant.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  04:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A cold is just a cold, you could have picked up germs anywhere. Treat it as such & sooth yourself with anything that makes u feel better be it cough mixture, panadol, vicks etc. these will help u take yr mind off it. It should go away in due course.

I like making a drink with 2 tablespoons ginger juice , 2 slices lemon & honey to taste in a cup of warm water. It soothes the throat, gives you some vitamin C & energy.

As for the rash, it could be tight clothes. A month is a long time for a simple rash. Could be u need something more than aloe. Try using some calamine lotion to sooth & dry the area & go see a doctor if it doesn't clear up. Could be you just need a specific cream to make it go away.

Good Luck

mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook

Edited by - mala on 10/18/2013 04:33:26
Go to Top of Page

GTfan

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  09:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally went to the doctor for the rash. And it was the last thing I would have ever thought of. Turns out it is a yeast infection. Somehow or another I got a yeast infection in both of my armpits.

So, yea he gave me medicine to take for 10 days that should clear it up.
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  22:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a friend whose mother "did not allow" her to have colds or the 'flu. She said her mom told her (when my friend was a small child) that a cold is not real and just an excuse to stay home from school or avoid work. Oddly, the mother had colds all the time but her child simply was forbidden to do so. So, she never did.

Now, here's my friend, age about 40 and really, really bitter about not being allowed to have a cold. She said the rest of the world gets to overdo it, then get a cold as an excuse for slowing down and taking a good rest from regular life. She said her mom's injunction haunts her and she is able to stop herself whenever she feels a cold coming on.

Never had a cold in her life! Other than that she is a totally ordinary person so I have no reason to think she was tradiddling me. For one thing, she didn't get an ounce of pleasure out of her story or her perpetually healthy condition. She was super annoyed and felt sorry for herself.

What this says to me is that when you are tired, you should rest. Maybe colds are, for some people, to some extent, pure and simple tms. Maybe depression and fatigue contribute. Who knows? Not me.

I havent' seen my friend for years but I sometimes think of her and hope she has blown off her mom's "curse" and can have a cold if and when she wants or needs one.

"It's worth considering that tms is not a treatment but rather an unfolding of the self, and a way of living as an emotionally aware and engaged soul." Plum

PLEASE READ THIS!

Peeps, I have been studying and using Internal Family Systems (IFS) therapy for several months now and have found it most helpful in digging out what is really going on with me to cause tms symptoms.

Over at tmswiki.org there is soon going to be a mailing list for those who want to try using IFS for TMS. I hope you will consider joining it. You can read about IFS and find a form to sign up here:
http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/mailing-list-for-parts-therapy-tms.2868/

Learning to use the IFS therapy for self help is pretty easy, as these things go. There is a lot of info available on youtube.com and various other web sites. including tmswiki.org. If you search "Internal Family Systems", you'll find it. My recommendation for a book is Self Therapy by Jay Earley which costs less than $ 10 on Kindle (also available in paperback at amazon.com). It's thorough and clearly written, I think.

The mailing list is a great way for us to support each other as we look at how IFS might be able to help.

Finally, best wishes to all who suffer from tms, especially those who are still struggling with symptoms. May we all find peace.

Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  08:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got over a cold now. Back in my TMS suffering day whenever I got a cold it would last for 10 days to 2 weeks, every time. Now, I rarely get a cold or flu and when I do it usually gone in around 3 days. I think when we're at peace and content our body's immune system work at it's best.

Mind body illness exaggerate or intensify all kind of symptoms, tms or physical.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  17:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading this thread it occurred to me that I harbor some rather outlandish views on the COLD industry:

Beware: the cold season is upon us! This is the time of year for billions of dollars worth of advertisements touting remedies for exchange for our hard earned money. It’s appropriate that they all come at this time of year - the cold and wintery season. It could be the auto suggestion characteristics of these ads help us along our way to actually catch and propagate our colds; they sort of give us permission to proceed.

At the very least these ads remind us that it is cold and flu season, and it’s time for as many as possible to go out and catch our colds, when you do so their drug (an improvement over every one else’s) will be there for comfort and support. Being a very cold mortal I’m looking forward to the time when I can go out and catch a “WARM”. The very word “COLD” perhaps was chosen to match shivery way you feel and indeed the cold time of year.

I grant the founding fathers of the COLD industry did do us a service though in choosing the word COLD as their choice would have been selecting from over 200 viruses; the common ones being Rhinovirus, Coronavirus or Respiratory Syncytial virus. Imagine the difficulty of calling in sick and saying:” Sorry boss I won’t be in today I’ve got Respiratory Syncytial Virus”. Your message would have been heard with laughter.

I hate advertisements; I think we all do at heart. Some console and rationalize themselves with thoughts like “it’s a good time for a bathroom pit stop or beer run to the fridge, but folks it’s an absolute invasion of privacy and it’s your intellectual mind that’s invaded.

The time and effort put into these ads is massive, and the sheer numbers aired on TV are staggering. I once counted 65 in about one hour of news programming targeted towards retirees; they were all pharmaceutical and cold drugs.

I’ve seen many of these two minutes ads, (the average human attention span) aired in this way:

Problem: Normally someone pictured looking very ill while a summary of symptoms is injected to the viewer with concern and fear. This segment is often extremely negative often in black and white. Sometimes the person is even unshaven and looks unwashed!

Action: Buy my product - It’s the best, cheapest, fastest and value for money. And of course we humans are always attracted to that word “Free”, if samples are offered.

Result: A person pictured in vitality in color and bright lights, their smiles show white teeth. They often are screened playing football or casting fishing lures. It can be noted to the prudent observer that is not essential for same person to appear throughout the ad.

It’s not really important to analyze advertisements, I am just venting. But I think it is important to analyze your daily TMS issues to find out what is really going on deep down, and you can learn alot by studing advertising methods. Good luck, I'm off for a pit stop.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/30/2013 18:53:07
Go to Top of Page

GTfan

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  07:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we can all agree that the pharmaceutical industry employs "mind programming" on the masses in order to get their product sold. The top pharma advertising execs surely know what they are doing too. A perfectly healthy person can sit down to watch a few hours of TV, and become convinced that they are depressed, have erectile disfunction, etc.

I think the same fear is embodied in the "Get checked for cancer!" ads. Some people want to insist that this is just ignorance and refusal by the medical community to accept the TMS theory. But I think the people at the top (especially in the pharma industry) know exactly what they are doing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000