TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A rehab question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Waterbear

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  09:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been poking around online while waiting for my books to come in.

I just had a thought about rehab exercises. As far as I can tell, you're supposed to halt rehab exercises b/c they make you think you're broken.

For my knees and elbows (diagnosed as patellar tendonitis and tennis/golfers elbow about 1 yr ago), my rehab is basically lifting weights, esp. the knee rehab. Before I started hurting, I was hitting the weights about 4-6x a week. I really liked the weights and building muscles. I also really liked running, which I was doing at the end of most weight lifting sessions.

Maybe it's addressed in the books, but if it isn't, what should I do in that case?

For instance, I love doing squats. I know most people hate them but they're one of my favorite exercises. For my arms and back, I love doing lat pulldowns. Both squats and pulldowns are in my rehab program as well as in my original routine. I was very happy when my physical therapist said I was ready to get back to them (although, I needed to change my squatting form).

However, exercises like TKE's were never in my original weight lifting program, and honestly, I never really liked doing them. However, I've read that they do provide some good strengthening to the quads, which seems like a good idea for someone who wants to tone their legs up a bit more.

I no longer run at the end of exercise, so maybe I should try to do some the weight lifting that I liked to begin with and try to get back into jogging?

Thanks!

Edited by - Waterbear on 11/01/2013 09:32:24

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  11:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An exercise program for your overall health is a good thing. It is a critical part of TMS recovery to resume normal physical activities without fear of "damaging" yourself.

On the other hand, exercises prescribed as part of Physical Therapy are designed to address supposed structural issues that are causing the symptoms. Doing such exercises with the belief that you are treating the source of the pain is entirely contradictory to TMS recovery, since it reinforces the opposite belief that the pain is in fact due to a structural issue.

In my opinion, if you are of the mindset that you are doing exercises for overall health, building strength and muscle tone, or even just because you enjoy doing them, then it is a good thing. Note that your unconscious mind might try to seize the opportunity to give you symptoms to make you believe there is a physical problem, so you might need to fight through them and reinforce your belief that those symptoms are psychogenic.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  13:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great question Watery bear,

great answer as usual Dave; it was you that helped me with my stretching to relieve neck pain. I had developed the tic of stretching every minute or so. Looking back, the stretch never worked anyway, otherwise it would have cured me and not be necessary one minute later.

Take out the word “rehab” from your question and replace it with the words “work out”. The very word “rehab” suggests that there is something wrong with you and there isn’t is there, because you have already been checked out thoroughly? You have acknowledged this in your first sentence very well.

Do any exercise you want and are able to do following Dave’s last comment. When I workout, (a skinny 65 year old), I use that passive rest between sets to give myself those self pep talks, an excellent time to think psychologically: “that even though any pain is real the causes are bogus”.I am proving this by being active. So you might then ask who am I proving it to? – The answer is your “subconscious”, weird isn’t it?

Enjoy the books and the exercise.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000