TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Help please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  21:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Headaches everyday now caused by my shoulder/neck. Am doing my affirmations & trying to ignore but its so hard. Pain makes my blood pressure go up & it feels tight in my chest. I'm quite sure its not my heart though.

Any movement like lifting or swinging my arms seems to make it worse.

Does the pain increase during the initial stages of affirming or reconditioning?

Any techniques, idea, suggestions on how to recondition the brain?

thx

mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook

Edited by - mala on 10/08/2013 01:37:42

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  09:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Any techniques, idea, suggestions on how to recondition the brain?

Hi Mala,

best answer from me this morning is just to do whatever works for you to trigger a relaxation response, as many times a day as you can (ie once an hour would be good, or whenever you notice yourself feeling more stressed or in more pain.) In that way, my hypothesis goes, the brain starts being conditioned more towards a relaxation response, as opposed to the typical stress response.

I myself have been experiencing an increase in symptoms; I've been using that 'blowing on the baby's head' thing (http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8592) which seems to work the best for me (affirmations don't trigger a relaxation response in me.)

Hope you get some real relief soon.

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  10:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mala
Does the pain increase during the initial stages of affirming or reconditioning?

It is common for pain to increase and for new symptoms to appear. Consider this a positive sign that perhaps finally, the concepts are sinking in and you are starting to accept the TMS diagnosis.

Stop searching for techniques. There is no magic bullet. There are no shortcuts. You have to withstand the battles in order to win the war. Do your best to focus on something else, preferably something that brings you pleasure and relaxation.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  10:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Affirmations at first do not do anything in the moment. It is only with continued practice that they start to result in that. After you have been evaluated that noting serious is going on, I would understand that I must SUFFER for a period of time and act like there is no problem. This is not easy, but necessary. As Jesus accepted his suffering, prior to his glorification, you must also suffer with utter acceptance for a period of time before you get better. You also cannot move, act, react in anyway to the symptom or bc its there. This however does not mean that you cant take it easy. It is better to be still and try to reach a better state of relaxation than to challenge the symptom. Try to see why the perticular situation your in could cause these symptoms and direct your relaxtion towards that. I think your biggest problem Mala, is that your too much in a rush to do everything and if your not taking steps to stop this, in my mind, you will never get better. I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  12:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

I think your biggest problem Mala, is that your too much in a rush to do everything and if your not taking steps to stop this, in my mind, you will never get better.

I agree with this, TMS is not for everybody, and the Good Doctor readily admits this. Your physical pains are a PROTECTOR for you from what your subconscious perceives as the even greater emotional pain of dealing with your life issues. You've touched on them here in the past, pertaining to the cultural clash between your Indian family and your life path. In yogic terms your mind is very "noisy", you can't FOCUS on the TMS work due to your inner noise.

You've been given much good advice here over the years and it does not get absorbed. There is nothing new to say, it's all been said before by myself and others. Reread the archived posts responding to you and most of all curl-up with a TMS book until you get it. You will have to curtail your active social life in the real and internet worlds and focus on understanding TMS KNOWLEDGE.

(Boilerplate: This is based on the assumption it's TMS (since this IS the TMS FORUM after-all, and you and I are here for that reason). If it's something that SHOULD be treated allopathically, then see a competent physician. There's no way anyone here should be held responsible to DX'ing your pain over an internet message board if all the doctors and all the king's men have not been able to thus far.

G'luck to you Mala!
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  20:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala - sorry to hear you are in pain. I used to occasionally take tylenol 3s, for a short time, couple of days,as a break from the pain. I would often get an attack on the weekend, as I was about to go and work out Saturday morning, or run Sunday morning. I think this was a big distraction, not allowing me to do what I enjoyed most
(stupid brain)! I sometimes took a t3 just to be able to get out of bed, and then forced myself to go work out.Once I got started, it was much better. I was thinking that you being on holidays relaxing, is the perfect time for an attack/distraction.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  05:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RSR, sorry to hear yr symptoms are increasing & hope u find some relief soon too. Yes I remember the blowing on the baby's head thing. Thx for reminding me.

Dave I understand that there is no short cut, remember how long I've been here?

Al I have started taking panadol for the pain too. As for holidays, I'm on holiday all the time I don't work so I think my pain is trying to distract me from living. BTW how is your wife doing? I hope she is well.

TT the cultural clash thing is not an issue at all and I don't dwell on it. But I don't really see how curtailing my social life has got anything to do with this. And I have read & reread & the reread some more. I almost know the stuff by heart.

Ace about the rush thing, I do believe that I am doing it less & less. AS u said yrself, it will take time.

thanks all

Mala

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  05:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Mala, we all tried for you. Given how little we know about you it's just like shooting darts into a TMS body target. G'luck, see ya' at the next TMS symptom substitution I'm sure. Have you had any luck finding a compatible psychotherapist in HG, maybe you can travel to see one or do it on skype over your cell? I'm torn between the new Samsungs, the Note 3 5.7" with the smart sytli and it's sibling the Samsung Mega phone phablet with the 6.3" screen. What's your recommendation on that? I could also use your help on some tire decisions I have to make. I've got the original Yoko Advan A040's on the front of the Lotus and just got some new Dunlop Direza 11's on the rears as they wear out much faster. Do you think they are compatible? I'm gonna do a track day soon and it would be embarrassing for my rear end to be spin around and be out in front. Can you, your hubs or any of your HK or fb buds be of any advice in these matters. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about them. Modern life is so full of decisions--OY! If you could put the word out and come up with some solutions for me my life would be so much less TMS'y.

Cheers,

tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  09:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who pissed in your Cheerios TT . Or maybe you fell asleep in your hot tub and the heat got to your head. Or are u having a bad tennis day. Serve not as good as usual so you decided to serve some here on the forum?

If your rear end starts spinning and you are still getting up in the middle of the night in a sweat thinking about my hubs and my friends I suggest a cold shower. They are not interested . Now why don't you just limp sorry crawl back to your game & try again.

Mala

Edited by - mala on 10/09/2013 09:32:37
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  09:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's your best post ever Mala, just checking to see if you're still alive, glad to see you are. You appear to be very much alive in fact. You've gotten much good free advice here from others as well as me. I've written reams of well thought out recommendations for you (most of which you've ignored). Can't really think of anything new to tell you. For the first time I ask you for some advice and you are unable to help me--I guess my concerns are not yours. Keep up the good work, it seems there's a pulse their, no heart-attack--back to my Cheerios.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page

EileenTM

92 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  09:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala, I recently had an experience where i became extremely emotional over an incident.
The feelings were very intense and very uncomfortable to say the least.
I then realized that tms is there to protect us from feelings like that.
Based on what I experienced, a headache or sore shoulder would be less painful than those feelings. In my case, I think sometimes now that I know about tms I experience some of those repressed feelings. Not much but maybe now that I am in my 60s my reservoir of rage is filled up with life!
Hope that helps,
Eileen
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  12:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

I know that neck headache very well, (up the neck channel vertebrae into your brain!). In desperation I sometimes take a Tylenol PM, but this does not get the root of the problem - personality or life’s stresses (it does not matter which). I have tried a myriad of things to deal with and accept the pain, all of them work sometimes. All of these activities have one thing in common - “Changing my mode”.

I do some physical activity followed by soothing. I sometimes lift weights above my head enough to be slightly painful, thus changing my focus from my pain to another pain. I follow this with Ace’s soothing affirmations, easy Yoga moves or just deep breathing. Now maybe as you say arm movements would make your situation worse, so I have listed other activities. This is the time I muse over what could be going on in my head, I always think of something whether past present or personality that comes to mind.

The key for me is to divert attention away from my miserable pain with physical activity to stop the worrying head talk, then sooth, I can then think of my pain with acceptance, and its importance has been diminished.

Other things that worked are:
Walking on wet dewy grass.
Going naked outside until you are really cold.
Jumping rope enough to get the heart rate up.
Standing in a tub of very cold water.
Brushing my hair

Things that didn’t work:
Playing FreeCell
Surfing the web
Doing Finances
Drinking coffee

This diversion theory is not new. The Roman emperor Hadrian occupied his legions building Hadrian’s Wall to keep the northern hoards from invading England, a physical activity to stop them from being homesick and rebelling. The Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan, will hold a yapping dog to the ground for a short while to divert its’attention.

So my technique is not to build a wall or stop yapping, but to “Change your Mode” by doing something physical, woof woof.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  19:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala - my wife is doing well, she still has some crazy mood swings
(like today) but not too bad.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eileen,
quote:
Based on what I experienced, a headache or sore shoulder would be less painful than those feelings.

That is exactly what sarno is saying, that the mind is trying to protect us from those feelings. What is interesting is that you actually got to experience that first hand coz that actually gives you an insight into what needs to be addressed emotionally. So did that particular incident give u a better insight into what u need to do?

I have been delving & delving in to my past, my present, my personality to identify what could be triggering my pain & have yet to really understand why I am having my symptoms.

Andy,

Thx for responding.

quote:
The key for me is to divert attention away from my miserable pain with physical activity to stop the worrying head talk, then sooth, I can then think of my pain with acceptance, and its importance has been diminished.

That is what I have been doing but if the purpose of the pain is to make you think about what is happening emotionally then doesn't that defeat the whole purpose. I mean doesn't Sarno say you should think about what the pain is trying to tell you. The diversion you talk about just tunes out what you should really be focussing on.

Al , all the best!

Mala

Edited by - mala on 10/10/2013 05:17:00
Go to Top of Page

PJ77

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  07:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala,

I have been in the same boat as you for years. I have struggled a lot despite doing all the work. I am an anxious person, always worrying/thinking about the future, trying to be "perfect" or be "prepared for the worst". My pain then kicks in eventually to make me forget about the future and the worries, and to be present. It tells me to live for this second, forget the rest and the future.
I would advise you to get in touch with SteveO via his website. I know what he will say....that you are not happy deep deep inside. You are not content in your life, your pain is distracting you from the deep unhappiness inside, unhappiness you are not aware of. He will ask you to find happiness, do the things you enjoy, look forward to things, appreciate each and everything, laugh and enjoy life, find peace within possibly through meditation, set goals, get moving by walking/running/swimming. Once you have found peace within inside and happiness deep inside, your pain/symptoms will leave you. You will not need to symptoms to distract you.

I am not there yet, but I have seen the improvements. Without this advice I was given by SteveO, I would not be here.

Edited by - PJ77 on 10/10/2013 08:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  09:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mala
I have ... yet to really understand why I am having my symptoms.

It is neither possible nor necessary to understand the exact psychological triggers.
quote:
...if the purpose of the pain is to make you think about what is happening emotionally then doesn't that defeat the whole purpose.

The "purpose" of the pain is irrelevant. Dr. Sarno's theory is based on the pain being a distraction from unconscious rage that threatens to become conscious. In my opinion this is merely a convenient metaphor. The fact is, human beings lack fundamental understanding of many aspects of how the brain functions. I believe the true mechanisms of TMS are beyond our comprehension.

The good news is, it doesn't matter. It is enough to acknowledge that the pain is benign, manufactured by the brain for psychological reasons. Intellectual analysis of TMS is interesting, but not necessary for recovery. In fact, I believe it hinders recovery. Overthinking and overanalysis is, in effect, a distraction itself.

At its core recovery from TMS is about reconditioning the mind. Ignore the symptoms, think psychological instead of physical, resume physical activity. Repeat for the rest of your life.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  11:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

It’s really very simple, perhaps as Dave suggests you are over analyzing.

1. Divert focus away from pain
2. Sooth yourself
3. Think psychologically

Works for me, good luck.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  20:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you, no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, you ain't gonna have a life.”
¯ Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  23:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice from all. Thank you.

Mala

Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  07:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Intellectual analysis of TMS is interesting, but not necessary for recovery. In fact, I believe it hinders recovery. Overthinking and overanalysis is, in effect, a distraction itself.

At its core recovery from TMS is about reconditioning the mind. Ignore the symptoms, think psychological instead of physical, resume physical activity. Repeat for the rest of your life.

Dave:
I agree that intellectual discussions about TMS are counterproductive. Those that are forever asking "is this TMS" or speculating about "symptom substitution" or giving examples of "the devious nature of TMS" are merely attempting to replace their conflicted identities with that of being a TMS sufferer. However, "thinking psychological" implies understanding the source of psychological stress. It is not enough to say that your TMS symptoms are being caused by some (hidden) emotional turmoil. As Sarno prescribes, it may be necessary to analyze the source of your psychological stress and the processes by which it is controlled.
Perhaps this is what you are saying.
Thanks for your insightful posts.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  11:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala .. something I just thought of, which I don't think I ever mentioned...

Another thing that's helped, is having a list of all the emotional issues in my life ... typically long-standing things which I haven't been able to resolve and which I just don't feel good about ... reviewing that list when I am in the midst of an "episode" tends to help. It seems counter-intuitive in a way, but it's actually helpful. hmm.. maybe this tip originally came from one of Dr Sarno's books? I can't quite recall. I guess it is a way of "thinking psychological" AND also "soothing" at the same time.. maybe it's the clarity combined w/ some self-compassion (?)

Anyway, do you have such a list you could review?

Also, again (and I think this one's come up before): Eugene Gendlin's "Focusing" technique ... sometimes just the first step ("clearing a space") is helpful to me. It sometimes helps "localize" my (emotional) pain.

~RSR
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000