TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Vignette
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  05:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are sleeping and wake up in the middle of the night tossing and turning. You then recognize you have more/hard work to do the next day. What should you do?

A) keep trying to sleep and forget about it
B) get up and go watch TV
C) use affirmations to affirm that the next day will be easy, relaxed day
D) use affirmations directed to falling asleep
E) use a visualization to picture yourself at work doing the hard work
F) c & e
G) c, d & e

Edited by - Ace1 on 09/21/2013 06:58:48

NextAdventure

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  07:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best treatment for nocturnal awakenings is diaphragm breathing and thought stopping meditation. Absolutely no TV and affirmations only keep the cortex center of the brain processing. Sleep requires moving from beta awake brain waves to alpha which can be created by meditation or less effective no thought techniques like counting sheep or counting backwards which are a form of meditation mantras, then to theta that can be produced by proper, low-slow diaphragm breathing and then to the deepest sleep of delta.

Reading is a far distant method and works only because it reduces cortex processing and obsessive thoughts and directs the focus on less stimulating data.

If you go to bed and find you mind running thoughts it is an indication that you have not learned how to control the mind and you probably need to engage in a meditation practice and mindfulness training to learn how to make the mind your servant not a tyrant.

So the answer is none of the above
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  08:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

Personally, now that I understand segmented sleep is normal, I look forward to waking up watching archived tennis matches or car shows on my DVR, setting the TV timer to turn off automatically. If your bed-mate is not on board with this and complains, that could be a problem! Maybe separate bedrooms or a new bed-mate could be a solution.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/21/2013 08:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  08:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disagree NA with the none of the above. Encountered this many times and the correct answer is there and it does work. Mediation may be helpful but does not address the cause of your sleeplessness so therefore meditation cannot be the best answer.

Edited by - Ace1 on 09/21/2013 09:34:12
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  08:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I think you may have me confused with someone else in your thread, I didn't give an answer to your "poll".

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  09:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Tom, it should have been addressed to NA
Go to Top of Page

stocktrader

30 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  10:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACE, what is the answer?
Go to Top of Page

sue1012

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  10:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to say "F" is the answer...
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  11:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing Ace will say D.

I'm like TT, I don't really care if I fall sleep or not. Sleep is over rated for me and with that mentality I never have trouble with sleep.

The worst thing we can do to our sleep is to worry about not falling sleep or not getting enough sleep.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

NextAdventure

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  06:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace

You need to read up on the latest sleep center recommendations and sleep research. I have been a student of neurophysiology for over 30 years and keep abreast of all the current findings and recommendations.

If you are in practice I do understand that it is difficult to read all the new material.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  09:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Sleep requires moving from beta awake brain waves to alpha which can be created by meditation or less effective no thought techniques like counting sheep or counting backwards which are a form of meditation mantras,

Affirmations can also be considered a "no thought technique" or a form of meditation mantra.

Meditation can trigger retraumatization experiences for those with pre-existing PTSD.

No matter HOW much research is done, what matters is what works for us, as individuals. Even meditation mantras and diaphragmatic breathing can be done in a strained, non-helpful way.

One-size-fits-all is just a fantasy.

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 09/22/2013 09:15:55
Go to Top of Page

stocktrader

30 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
F is the answer.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  11:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whom ever said f is correct. Obviously there are other ways to do it. The premise is that we must achieve relaxation about the thing(s) that are keeping us strained and leading to symptoms. A & B are not doing anything about the basic cause, so they cannot be correct. D is not right because once again it does not address the reason you woke up in the first place. The other 2 choices are techniques to help you achieve relaxation at what is bothering you. You can use the generic affirmations I mention on my list or you can direct them more specifically to the situation. The visualizing YOURSELF doing the thing that is making you strained, somehow desensitizes you by showing your mind its not that bad as long as you try not to react negatively to the visualization.

If I read all the studies written about my previous pain and tried to follow their advice, I would have never recovered. Data can be manipulated in ways (purposefull and non-purposefully) that can make anything seem true when in reality it is not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000