TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Help!!! I need some reassurance!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  21:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone -

I'm sure many of you have read my posts on dizziness. For some time now, it has not been much of a problem. Although it never leaves entirely, it has been a very minor nuisance and only occurs briefly a few times a day, if any. Other bizarre symptoms have randomly appeared and disappeared as well.

Lately, I'm not sleeping well and am stressed to the max. I'm grinding my teeth and waking up with headaches and a stiff neck. I'm having a different kind of night guard made by my dentist, called a reprogrammer. I'm anxious to get it and have been told it should help my symptoms.

I think the reason I'm not sleeping has a lot to do with the fact that I'm planning my daughter's bat mitzvah and it's a huge deal. It's costing twice what we planned and everything has fallen on my shoulders to make it happen. I want to give a speech but I have such horrible stage fright that I'm already nervous and it's weeks and weeks away. I think another reason for my sleeplessness has to do with grinding and clenching my teeth and jaw muscles. Then, last night our smoke detectors went berserk and ALL of them (7 of them) were going off all night. My husband has pneumonia and I felt horrible that he had to climb up on a ladder and disconnect everything. This morning, I was an absolute wreck.

All this is leading up to my bigger problem. Today, I went to the gym with my daughter even though I was exhausted. I've been trying to drop 10 pounds and have been trying to step things up a bit and try new things. I haven't been on the olyptical trainer since just prior to my dizziness started on the trip to Cancun three years ago. I went on it and found it difficult and never tried it again. I'm always looking at people on it and thinking to myself that it would probably make me dizzy (I get dizzy on anything that goes up and down like that, except trampolines which is odd). Today, I got on it and started to use it and felt like I was on a boat. It was awful. After two minutes I had to get off. I felt really nauseous. I got off and went and got on the good old treadmill (which also used to make me feel kind weird but now I'm used to it) and I was fine, just a little quesy for a few minutes. Now, I've got myself convinced that I DO have some sort of an inner ear disorder and that's why that happened. I asked my daughter if going on the olyptical trainer makes her feel woosey and dizzy and she said "never." My husband has no problems either. I'm freaking myself out. All this time I've been convincing myself it's TMS and now I'm convincing myself there is indeed really something malfunctioning in my vestibular system.

Somebody please knock some sense back into me, quick! I need a slap in the face or something.

Thanks!

Laura

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  03:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura,

You KNOW this is conditioning. If people with asthma can have an attack triggered by a plastic rose (I mentioned this phenomenon in an earlier post) then of course you can feel dizzy on the machine that you expected to feel dizzy on.

I can hear the gremlin laughing and rubbing his hands with glee. Don't give him the satisfaction.

Kat
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  10:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Kat! I appreciate the encouragement.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Jackie

27 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  17:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura
Some people are more sensitive to motion than others...that's why some people get motion sickness and others don't. If the olyptical trainer bothers you..no big deal...stick with the treadmill...don't make yourself nuts..it doesn't matter. Sounds like you have your hands full. I'm convinced that any time I feel overwhelmed I'm letting my guard down and opening the door to TMS.

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  19:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie,

You are so right. I never just think of things in simple terms like that. I always have to get myself worked up. It's almost like I enjoy punishing myself or something.

What you said is so simple yet so true. Thank you!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Caroline

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura,

I am not sure this will help at all but about a year 1/2 ago, I had major dizziness and ear problems (pain, tinnitus, blocked sensation). I also had painful jaw (sometimes it even cracked when I opened it) but all those symptoms have disappeared and no doctor ever found anything. Are you absolutely sure that you are grinding your teeth? My dentist said there was no evidence of grinding and said a night guard would not help so that's one gizmo I was spared from purchasing. The jaw pain occasionally reappears, usually when the neck pain susbsides so I know it's TMS playing substitution games!

About the feeling you get on the elliptic trainer: I can totally relate. It's a nasty feeling and I would never get on those things. Nothing to do with my ear, everything to do with not subjecting myself to sadistic machinery, even if it's supposed to make me look good!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000