TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Affirmations, Ace could use your help on this one
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  09:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading over Ace's keys, i want to start using affirmations in daily practice but how important is it to create affirmations that are specific to your situation. for instance Ace, you used affirmations like I feel calm relaxed and confident which i like, but is it necessary to come up with affirmations specific to your situation? how important is the actual affirmation you use?

you also mentioned you should use your affirmations every time you start thinking about symptoms so that could be all day at first right. so it would be something like this "god this is hurting, STOP use affirmation. kind of like a thought redirection type thing, am i getting this right?

i want to start using affirmations in daily practice but like the usual TMS personality i want to make sure im "doing it right"

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  09:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last sentence spot on.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  18:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi dg,
The goal is to achieve relaxation (prevent straining). By knowing why you are not at peace or relaxed is helpful. Its kind of like you think about what is causing you to be out of peace and repeat the positive affirmation. Lets say you have figured out that your hyped up and in a rush to get to work. You just kind of think of that while saying something like I calm relaxed and patient. You see it is directed to the situation. You try to prevent your body from constricting and your mind from getting too hyped up to the situation. The affirmations I have in my list are pretty general and seem to apply well to everyone. They do work best when you first identify what's trying to hype your mind up first. The affirmations are very strong tools to help you achieve you goal which is permanent mental relaxation. A tool is useless without your using the tool to achieve your goal. Yes when you recognize the pain, you stop, see how and why your hyped up and while thinking about this, use the affirmation to redirect you mind and calm what's hyping you up. It is better to catch yourself BEFORE you get hyped up and that should be your goal eventually.

Edited by - Ace1 on 07/13/2013 19:14:33
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  05:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgreen97

i want to start using affirmations in daily practice but how important is it to create affirmations that are specific to your situation.

DG:
I found some of Ace’s keys difficult to understand, redundant and irrelevant to my case. I copied the keys and then edited them to suit me. It was a good exercise and in trying to better explain what Ace meant I learned a few things. When you get right down to it there are really only two affirmations: “Let go (of the emotions)” and “I’m OK”. When I hear those little voices I use the first one. When I feel pain trying to assert itself I say “My back is OK, my hip is OK, my groin is OK, and I’m OK”.
You should use affirmations whenever they are required. It may be 20 or more times each day. Forget about affirmation schedules! Remember what Ace said about always being in a hurry.
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  06:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the 2 main affirmations should include forgiveness/letting go of what bothers you, and being relaxed/easy going. While the main disrupter of relaxation is being in a rush.

I think an aspect of affirmations is by repeating them, they stop the intense focus of your mind on what ever conditioned event you are in at that moment. So in other words just repeating something as silly as I have a big toe,I think, would have some beneficial effect. I think there is however an added dimension to the positive aspect and directed aspect of the affirmation and this one is more subtle and takes longer to see.

It is not important to focus on the function of ones body like my body is ok etc. Normal function comes with relaxation and doesn't need to be addressed specifically. It is actually better to look at why your not relaxed when your body is dysfunctional than to just reassure yourself that your body part is ok. While the affirmation that so and so part is ok may have helped, it may be because of the reasoning explained above, but it doesnt hit to the heart of the problem.

It is difficult to explain things that are felt and to put them into words so I tried to repeat things in my list from different angles to try an explain them better. However most people like their own way of organizing and writing, so there is nothing wrong with reorganizing my list to suit ones style, someone else on this board did the same thing before. The only thing I may warn is sometimes in the reorganization the original meaning is modified and may not be as effective.

I think use the affirmations when required and around sleep. Sleep time is very helpful for the use of affirmations. What i have written I have seen to be effective not for just myself but for many that my list has helped.

Edited by - Ace1 on 07/14/2013 07:56:49
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  12:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find telling myself that "I'm a good and loving person" extremely helpful...and ultimately quite relaxing.

I suppose it's because I'm a classic goodist, so it makes sense from that point of view. That is to say it fills a deep need I have to be "worthy." Of course I could argue with myself that such ideas are pretty inauthentic. We are who we are, full of contradictions, embodying both "good" and "bad." But it works, so for now that's what matters to me...

I think choosing affirmations is an individual thing. I'd recommend trying out a bunch and finding out which ones seem to work.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  19:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know why relaxation techniques such as slow deep breathing can lower you blood pressure, reduce chronic pain (at least temporarily), and allow you to quickly fall asleep? I don’t either but it works! If affirmations are followed by using these techniques, if only briefly, we experience an immediate benefit and our belief in those affirmation is reinforced. Perhaps this is why Robert Smith has his patients take a deep breath and say “peace” following each tapping episode.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000