TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 95 percent days
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

EileenTM

92 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  09:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala, I would say that any activity that takes you "out of your self" whether it be sports, volunteering, art, being with friends, etc, etc, is what helped me with tms.
It took my focus away from my symptoms. For a awhile the symptoms were there in the background. Then they just receded.
I still get symptoms with stress. For example yesterday, my 86 year old dad came down with a sinus infection and cough. I live in another city, but my brother is there.
I started feeling a sore throat and like I was getting sick. I immediately said to myself, I know what this is and after awhile the symptoms went away.
For me it has been learning a new skill of awareness. Linking symptoms to what feelings might be going on in my subconscious.
Good luck. It is worth trying various approaches to find what works best for you.
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  09:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mala. My doctor retired soon after I saw him. I went to a Naturopath, he found I had lead poisoning, and did chelation.
My blood test improved, and I have just been taking vitamins since
then. My blood tests now have been stable, and I don't have any symptoms, so I'm glad!I wonder if this is another distraction, after the back pain went away.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God bless you Al,
I echo Mala's words and am delighted to hear you are on fighting form. I have a huge soft spot for Naturopaths. Wishing you well and much love.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala, I heard a similar thing from my doc a few years ago. He was a good man actually, not at all like most doctors. Anyway, he recommended relaxation. Never bad advice. I was wondering, where in the world are you at the moment? Maybe a good Indian Head Massage would help..? Maybe you need some good old-fashioned soothing and Mala-oriented niceness. 'Paradise Syndrome' may apply to many people but you strike me as someone pretty attuned to themselves and their world.

Take good care baby. x
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  21:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Plum. Funny, I read a lot about reincarnation, and had a few
experiences of past lives, long before my doctor told me I was going to croak. I was upset for a day or 2, but ok after that. I would not like to suffer along sickness, but so far, so good!
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  04:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As nature herself is continually rebirthing, so too do our lives bloom and fade and bloom once more. Soul willing, we live and learn. Faith is rare these days yet it is an integral part of healing. So far, so good, with the best yet to come. Warmest wishes your way.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  21:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mala

My issue is also with fear. I am so crippled by it at the moment that I can't think straight.

Mala, after I saw that it worked on myself and countless other people I know in my life, I really think positive mind power is one of the most powerful tools we have against FEAR. Whether you believe if fear is what keep tms alive or not, fear can only do more harm than good in your fight against any disease, physical of mind body. If you are able to get rid of fear, you would do a big favor for yourself and you may even save your life.

How to get rid of fear?
Use your mind power.
If you haven't try out Ace's key, you should and you should do it every day, you should live it, you should be persistent, patient, and do it for a couple months.
Positive affirmation is not only about repeating positive phrases to your mind, you have to also live it. You have to act it out no matter how "fake" it seem to you. P affirmation is very powerful, it can change your life if you do it, stick with it, practice it every day, act it out, live it, force yourself to think about it, and most of all give it enough time to work.

You see actors and actresses make themselves cried in movie. It fake, it's only a movie, and yet they can use their mind, their thought to make real physical change to their bodies, they can make tear flow.

Athletic use positive self talk to pump themselves up, to get excited, to believe... before competitions.

Sad movie make you cry, funny movies make you laugh, you feel great reading a good fiction..., You anticipate something bad happen, your body tense up right away. All of these demonstrate to us that our thoughts can really change our body chemistry and physiology. We can use that understanding to our advantage. We can use positive mind power to make "good" changes and help us heal.

Do the affirmation as Ace said in his key.
Live life to the fullest, Don't fight with your symptoms. don't try to ignore them, just do the Key and do all the thing you normally enjoy. If fear thoughts appear, so what, just keep doing the key and fill your schedule with wonderful activities. Don't get upset, don't get discourage, give it enough time and you will see miracle. You will see how wonderful your mind is if you're able to take back control of it. Fear is nothing but a product of our thought, wrong thought. It is a fight or flight respond when our mind "think" we are in danger.

When you're able to have more positive thoughts than negative in your mind, that is when miracle happen. You will see wonderful changes to your health. It feel fake at first, or there will be day you don't feel like doing anything, just keep at it, eventually you will succeed. You've been suffering long enough, it is time to get your life back.

Stay away from negative people or any situation that you think would bring on negative emotion. Don't read the news, don't watch the TV.

It is OK to fear, Fear is a normal human emotion.
It is OK to be depress, we're in extreme pain who would be depress?
It is OK that we lost sleep, we can't eat, we don't enjoy this or that... those are just normal reaction to ****ty phase in our life.
Don't fight them, don't "try" to ignore them, just do the Key.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  04:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow balto this is such a great post.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  04:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To follow up mala yes you have to do what balto has said above and give it plenty of time. If you assess yourself after a few months you should be making at least slow overall progress. If not maybe your not doing it all the time. Maybe your not changing your intense mode of doing things. Maybe your not recognizing conditioned situations and trying to act the opposite. Most of all you may be in too much of a rush to get better.
Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  06:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

quote:
Originally posted by mala

My issue is also with fear. I am so crippled by it at the moment that I can't think straight.

Mala, after I saw that it worked on myself and countless other people I know in my life, I really think positive mind power is one of the most powerful tools we have against FEAR. Whether you believe if fear is what keep tms alive or not, fear can only do more harm than good in your fight against any disease, physical of mind body. If you are able to get rid of fear, you would do a big favor for yourself and you may even save your life.

How to get rid of fear?
Use your mind power.
If you haven't try out Ace's key, you should and you should do it every day, you should live it, you should be persistent, patient, and do it for a couple months.
Positive affirmation is not only about repeating positive phrases to your mind, you have to also live it. You have to act it out no matter how "fake" it seem to you. P affirmation is very powerful, it can change your life if you do it, stick with it, practice it every day, act it out, live it, force yourself to think about it, and most of all give it enough time to work.

You see actors and actresses make themselves cried in movie. It fake, it's only a movie, and yet they can use their mind, their thought to make real physical change to their bodies, they can make tear flow.

Athletic use positive self talk to pump themselves up, to get excited, to believe... before competitions.

Sad movie make you cry, funny movies make you laugh, you feel great reading a good fiction..., You anticipate something bad happen, your body tense up right away. All of these demonstrate to us that our thoughts can really change our body chemistry and physiology. We can use that understanding to our advantage. We can use positive mind power to make "good" changes and help us heal.

Do the affirmation as Ace said in his key.
Live life to the fullest, Don't fight with your symptoms. don't try to ignore them, just do the Key and do all the thing you normally enjoy. If fear thoughts appear, so what, just keep doing the key and fill your schedule with wonderful activities. Don't get upset, don't get discourage, give it enough time and you will see miracle. You will see how wonderful your mind is if you're able to take back control of it. Fear is nothing but a product of our thought, wrong thought. It is a fight or flight respond when our mind "think" we are in danger.

When you're able to have more positive thoughts than negative in your mind, that is when miracle happen. You will see wonderful changes to your health. It feel fake at first, or there will be day you don't feel like doing anything, just keep at it, eventually you will succeed. You've been suffering long enough, it is time to get your life back.

Stay away from negative people or any situation that you think would bring on negative emotion. Don't read the news, don't watch the TV.

It is OK to fear, Fear is a normal human emotion.
It is OK to be depress, we're in extreme pain who would be depress?
It is OK that we lost sleep, we can't eat, we don't enjoy this or that... those are just normal reaction to ****ty phase in our life.
Don't fight them, don't "try" to ignore them, just do the Key.

------------------------

When feeling fear again and again should we not find out out what causes our fear (f.eks. long buried childhood issues, fear of the future , fear of people etc.)? I feel that no positive affirmation or reading another book will help before I have an idea where my fear and hurtful patterns are coming from and why I react with fear to some of the challenges of life. Yes sure I can say to myself that feeling fear is ok if it is a normal fear but constant anxiety keeps me from living because of all the symptoms it causes. Time and again I have been reading (on this forum) to just ignore our symptoms. You don't seem to think so and I find it very difficult also because underneath all my symptoms is FEAR which wants to be dealt with. Knowing where it comes from has helped me a lot in understanding my fear but the symptoms are still here and I guess it will take a little longer to get them out of my nervous system.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  07:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes understanding why your afraid or strained in the moment helps you to achieve better relaxation and helps you to apply directed mind power better. I'll tell you however, you will find that there are times in which you are strained and there is no real logical reason behind it. You symptoms however dont lie, in my Keys to healing I mention that you must use them as a guide, so therefore you are not ignoring them, but acknowleging them enough that you know you need to change something in that moment whether you see it or not. This helps you recognise you are strained and you try to achieve a deeper level of relaxation by acting the opposite and saying positive affirmations as balto has metioned. The more directed your response is, the more effective this process is.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  07:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balto, that is an awesome post.

Indiana, in addition to all the great things Ace says, I would add this flipside - don't dwell on the fear, anxiety or negativity. That's a slippery slope. Even if you want to dig down and unearth root causes, do so mindfully. Be the gardener, with the expansive view: you are weeding out the negative, seeding the positive. As Balto says, sh*t happens. Let it. Stormclouds of fear? Watch them pass because they will. The sun will always shine.
Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  07:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Yes understanding why your afraid or strained in the moment helps you to achieve better relaxation and helps you to apply directed mind power better. I'll tell you however, you will find that there are times in which you are strained and there is no real logical reason behind it. You symptoms however dont lie, in my Keys to healing I mention that you must use them as a guide, so therefore you are not ignoring them, but acknowleging them enough that you know you need to change something in that moment whether you see it or not. This helps you recognise you are strained and you try to achieve a deeper level of relaxation by acting the opposite and saying positive affirmations as balto has metioned. The more directed your response is, the more effective this process is.

At the moment, where I am now, I say the affirmations from your keys to (hopefully) get some long term relaxation which can only have a positive effect on some of the symptoms. The anxiety itself I think
I must deal with recognizing it, facing it and make some changes.
Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  08:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plum

Balto, that is an awesome post.

Indiana, in addition to all the great things Ace says, I would add this flipside - don't dwell on the fear, anxiety or negativity. That's a slippery slope. Even if you want to dig down and unearth root causes, do so mindfully. Be the gardener, with the expansive view: you are weeding out the negative, seeding the positive. As Balto says, sh*t happens. Let it. Stormclouds of fear? Watch them pass because they will. The sun will always shine.

I wish I could not dwell so much on anxiety but since the forums are filled with people who find that difficult it must be difficult to do but I have made some sort of progress lately. However I fear (there we go again) the dark season coming where it becomes very easy to dwell on yourself from morning to evening (and not in a positive way). At the moment there is sunshine, a blue sky, strawberries and beauty.
Probably not all TMS sufferers need to dig down into their childhood specially if it has been without significant problems but I know I have to. It's the only way. Yes **** happens I know and not being able to accept that is wanting everything to be perfect all the time which has given me a lot of thought lately because some sh...happened and I had to ask myself how will I react if even worse sh....happens.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  11:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlis, it's only life and it is a wonderful life. God alone knows I have catastrophised, controlled and chickened-out of many, many situations and then the day came when I didn't. I realised how pointless all that was. I'm a work-in-progress but truly the emotional healing is worth every second you invest.

Do you visit the wiki?
They have recently added a superb program that may help you.

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program

Worth a look.
And yes, these summery days are a gift.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  20:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balto thank u for another great post. Ace I have been trying to follow your advice . Its not always easy but I am truly trying to strain less. And also trying to continue as normally as possible except when i'm tired.

I seem to be going thru a crazy phase. I do things as normal as possible, then I get tired so I sleep, then I get fed up of sleeping & get up & start doing bollywood dancing for about 30 mins or so to get my brain to change the way its thinking. Then I feel OK. I can bend, twist, do anything really. SometimesI can feel like a 35 year old & sometimes I feel like a 90 year old.

Sometimes I feel stiff afterwards & sometimes not. Madness!

Humid weather makes my muscles stiff though.

Weird

Mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook

Edited by - mala on 07/09/2013 20:55:47
Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  00:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plum

Marlis, it's only life and it is a wonderful life. God alone knows I have catastrophised, controlled and chickened-out of many, many situations and then the day came when I didn't. I realised how pointless all that was. I'm a work-in-progress but truly the emotional healing is worth every second you invest.

Do you visit the wiki?
They have recently added a superb program that may help you.

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program

Worth a look.
And yes, these summery days are a gift.

Thanks Plum
Yes i visit the wiki occasionally. I intend to look into the above program after summer.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  05:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indiana
When feeling fear again and again should we not find out out what causes our fear (f.eks. long buried childhood issues, fear of the future , fear of people etc.)? I feel that no positive affirmation or reading another book will help before I have an idea where my fear and hurtful patterns are coming from and why I react with fear to some of the challenges of life.

We're not talking about the same fear here Indiana, the fear I'm talking about is fearing your symptoms will get worse, fearing your symptoms is a sign of some terrible disease, catastrophizing thinking about your current state of health. I'm not talking about what happened in our past (past child issue, past traumas...)

If you can stop thinking your headache is a sign of brain tumor. If you can stop worry about your back pain is going to lead to permanent nerve damage, or your bad knees will be with you forever... If you can stop that kind of thinking, you will eventually eliminate your symptoms.

Also, if you can stop re living negative past events, you're doing a big favor for yourself. I rarely see anyone get any benefit out of reliving their past. Doing that often create new negative emotions which harm our health more than. Think about the 3 kidnapping victims in Ohio, if they were thinking about their past all the time, they would be crippled with backpain by now. No, we have to optimistic, we have to focus on the positive side of life in order to be healthy.

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit" - Helen Keller

got to train yourself to be an optimist. It is a habit, a trainable skill, anyone can obtain through mindfulness living and positive mind power practice.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  06:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

quote:
Originally posted by indiana
When feeling fear again and again should we not find out out what causes our fear (f.eks. long buried childhood issues, fear of the future , fear of people etc.)? I feel that no positive affirmation or reading another book will help before I have an idea where my fear and hurtful patterns are coming from and why I react with fear to some of the challenges of life.

We're not talking about the same fear here Indiana, the fear I'm talking about is fearing your symptoms will get worse, fearing your symptoms is a sign of some terrible disease, catastrophizing thinking about your current state of health. I'm not talking about what happened in our past (past child issue, past traumas...)

If you can stop thinking your headache is a sign of brain tumor. If you can stop worry about your back pain is going to lead to permanent nerve damage, or your bad knees will be with you forever... If you can stop that kind of thinking, you will eventually eliminate your symptoms.

Also, if you can stop re living negative past events, you're doing a big favor for yourself. I rarely see anyone get any benefit out of reliving their past. Doing that often create new negative emotions which harm our health more than. Think about the 3 kidnapping victims in Ohio, if they were thinking about their past all the time, they would be crippled with backpain by now. No, we have to optimistic, we have to focus on the positive side of life in order to be healthy.

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit" - Helen Keller

got to train yourself to be an optimist. It is a habit, a trainable skill, anyone can obtain through mindfulness living and positive mind power practice.

------------------------

Maybe I have not expressed myself clearly. I am talking about exactly those fears you mentioned. In order to understand those fears and stop worrying so much I have to understand where the worrying and anxiety is coming from. In my case I had a mother who was always worried, depressed, anxious and unhappy and made me feel like a burden all my childhood when in fact I did a great job looking after my younger siblings and worked hard all my childhood. Digging back into my past and the feelings of hurt/abandonment/guilt/
shame/insecurity which I felt and which a child can do nothing about have formed the basis for my anxiety.
I know I cannot live in the past (and don't intend to) and I have to let go at some point but I am not there yet. At the moment I am letting a lot of anger out and you probably disagree that this is a good thing but it is helping releasing some tension. Stop being a goodist which I was trained to do as a child and which always made me feel second best has helped me a lot lately also. Suddenly being able to say no and being aware of what I really want (without feeling bad) is a great relief for me. A lot of my negative behaviour has actually nothing to do with the present situation but is a pattern, a belief and a way of looking at myself from my past which I need to change. Once the connections stand clear I will be able to heal.
It is easy for you to say "stop reliving negative past events" if the past is haunting you somehow.
Maybe we should just agree to disagree.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000