TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Breaking the cycle of severe pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joan

34 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  08:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone please help on breaking the cycle of severe pain I have had this facial pain a long time but is getting worse, as a former Sarno patient I am beginning to worry.The pain is their day and night Thanks

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  08:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joan,

Well, I like how one poster put it (Fredarm57 from WAY back in 2005:)

"Sometimes all you can do is ride out a pain episode. I saw Dr. Sarno in the early 1990's. During one of his lectures, someone asked him what to do when you had a severe pain attack. He replied, with a twinkle in his eye, "go to bed with a good book and a bottle of wine".

When I am in acute pain, I do take meds, which seem to help.
But you talk about a "cycle" so I'm not sure if yours is just a constant (ie 24/7) sort of thing?
There are, of course, many things to try, (from affirmations to visualizations to skilled relaxation, etc etc ie anything which will help calm the autonomic nervous system) but I suspect you've tried many of them without relief?

RSR
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  15:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Joan,

I empathise with you. I offer the following as some form of assurance because in terms of breaking the cycle, it's vital to know what would honestly benefit.

I have facial/tmj/dental pain that rioted recently. It was so bad today that I arranged an emergency visit to my wonderful dentist as I was sure something was wrong. Bless his kind heart, he has reassured me that nothing is amiss (bruxism brings a rare catalogue of potential woes), and spent some time chatting with me. Real human contact.

An essential part of breaking this wretched cycle for me is knowing that nothing is physically wrong. The tiniest seed of doubt flings me into dark places.

Tell us a little more that we may help you.
Go to Top of Page

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  17:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RageSootheRatio

Hi Joan,

Well, I like how one poster put it (Fredarm57 from WAY back in 2005:)

"Sometimes all you can do is ride out a pain episode. I saw Dr. Sarno in the early 1990's. During one of his lectures, someone asked him what to do when you had a severe pain attack. He replied, with a twinkle in his eye, "go to bed with a good book and a bottle of wine".

When I am in acute pain, I do take meds, which seem to help.
But you talk about a "cycle" so I'm not sure if yours is just a constant (ie 24/7) sort of thing?
There are, of course, many things to try, (from affirmations to visualizations to skilled relaxation, etc etc ie anything which will help calm the autonomic nervous system) but I suspect you've tried many of them without relief?

RSR

...as much as I'd love to take the good doctors advise I don't think my 3 year old son would be very obliging.

Wake me up with your amphetamine blast
Take me by the collar and throw me out into the world
Rock me gently & send me dreaming of something tender
I was brought here to pay homage to the beat surrender

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000