TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New--TMS or SI Joint Dysfunction/Pelvic instabilit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dexy

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  16:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to everyone! I am so grateful to be a part of this community and look forward to sharing with you all.

I am brand new and not sure exactly how this all works. I posted a reply to an old thread, but I am uncertain as to if it will be read so I will repost here:

I am dealing with "SI joint dysfunction/pelvic instability" that began at 11weeks pregnant and is present at 7 months post partum, even though in all of reading during pregnancy it should go away after the baby is born. So I am in the "rare" percentage of women for whom this lingers longer, and after reading Sarno, it makes sense to me.

However, I still cannot seem to accept this diagnosis (self-dx, although my doctor pointed me towards Sarno, after noting different issues in my life that always seem to crop up.

No SI belt, Coreshorts, custom orthotics, physiotherapy, exercises, chiropractic, or massage has helped. I have had an x-ray which was normal and just had a CT scan this morning.

I am really trying to embrace repudiating the physical aspect, yet I still have the fear that it is structural.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or an opinion on whether this is TMS?

I have a history of overexercising and had an eating disorder for over a decade, I am a former marathoner, triathlete, aerobics instructor, backcountry skier, competitive swimmer (in short, VERY VERY active) which led to fertility problems, and when I finally fell pregnant (my desperate dream for so long), this SI pain happened and has become my new focus/obsession and has not left. It has me quite depressed at times and so very upset that I cannot hike with my baby and jog, etc. While I can fully accept that there is significant mind-body component impacting my issue, I have not yet been able to fully embrace that there is ZERO structural problem and that this is in fact totally TMS, especially because it feels so very physical (well as it does for all of us) and also because I have been "diagnosed" with this pregnancy-related condition.

I do think perhaps pregnancy brought it on but the fact that it has become chronic leads me to believe it is TMS. Any stories/information/knowledge is so very much appreciated.

I am so grateful to be a part of this forum! Thanks in advance for any replies.

Blessings and wellness to all.

7 months post partum with SI joint pain/pelvic laxity which began over a year ago. Looking for any similar stories and hope! Desperate :)

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  16:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, can't offer hope but just to say I've had the same SI joint dysfunction diagnosis as well...I've also had diagnosis of twisted/tilted pelvis, leg length discrepancy and piriformis syndrome etc. From reading around about TMS it does appear that these diagnosis are tenuous at best and are often taken as likely to be TMS...I do know an awful lot of traditional mainstream doctors are totally against the SI joint diagnosis and see it as total crock.

I think that I'm in much the same place as you in that I buy into the TMS theory and totally see how it applies to me but I just don't seem to be able to move away from the structural/physical belief...I have somatised in the past but this just feels different and far more physical but then again many of the TMs experts will tell you that this is exactly the point of the given symptom.

Sorry I can't really give you any reassurance but just to say you are not alone.

Wake me up with your amphetamine blast
Take me by the collar and throw me out into the world
Rock me gently & send me dreaming of something tender
I was brought here to pay homage to the beat surrender

Go to Top of Page

Dexy

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  16:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pan. I appreciate your reply. I think that you posted on the older thread back in 2010? Have your symptoms changed/improved at all since then?

Still hoping for feedback from others and some inspirational stories for the both of us!

7 months post partum with SI joint pain/pelvic laxity which began over a year ago. Looking for any similar stories and hope! Desperate :)
Go to Top of Page

Dexy

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  16:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pan--can I ask you what your symptoms are? How active are you able to be and compared to how active you were or would like to be?

Go to Top of Page

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  17:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My main symptoms are mainly left sided lower back pain and stiffness and pain that radiates into the left thigh...mainly down the side and which cramps the quad muscle...the pain rarely goes below the knee. I also have a deep ache in the left buttock which fits in with a piriformis diagnosis.

I have remained active over the 3 years I've had the pain and have run and trained up to half marathons...it did used to be that running actually calmed the pain down but recently this hasn't been the case and running has intensified the discomfort and led to quad cramping. It could well be that this is a conditioned response generated by the fear that I will have to give up the activity that I love and that actually defines me in many ways,

Wake me up with your amphetamine blast
Take me by the collar and throw me out into the world
Rock me gently & send me dreaming of something tender
I was brought here to pay homage to the beat surrender

Go to Top of Page

Dexy

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  18:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pan--

Very interesting, I also have the tight/achy piraformis (on my left side) and lower back on same side. I also have some symphasis pubis pain. I am becoming more and more convinced that this is TMS. My thoughts are that it began as a structural/hormonal issue for me early on in pregnancy but it has persisted due to the extremely large amount of fear I have regarding not being able to do my favourite/addictive activities (running, hiking, biking, etc.). I feel as though I have used over training or at least being VERY active to suppress emotions and now my body is manifesting these as physical pain that is persisting beyond what is typical for this diagnosis with pregnancy/post-partum.

Can I ask how your symptoms began or what you believe prompted them?

Still very curious and hopeful for any other stories or input regarding whether others think this may be TMS based on my history, even if you do not have specific knowledge or experience with SI pain/pelvic instability, etc.

Best to All.

Go to Top of Page

Dexy

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  13:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else have any input for me even if you don't deal with SI stuff? I am really desperate and brand new to the TMS dx. Struggling.

Thanks in advance :)

7 months post partum, "diagnosed" with SI joint pain/pelvic laxity which began over a year ago. Normal xray. Not helped by physio, chiro, belts, orthotics, massage, or rest.
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  17:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I, as a male, was also diagnosed with it. Since I treated it as TMS, it is only at 20% of what it was half a year ago. My right leg is still shorter than the left, as most people have different leg lengths. Most of those have no complaints at all.

What I believe is really going on are one or more tightened muscles in your pelvis or connected to your pelvis, probably with active triggerpoints (knots) in it. It fits the TMS theory. Because it can create some pretty nasty pains, I am not surprised that the emotional tension or fear that this creates keeps it alive.

Although my physical therapist came with this diagnosis of pelvic instability, my doctor, neurologist and even the osteopath honed it away. Indeed it is a poorly proven theory.

good luck
Go to Top of Page

Dexy

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  20:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gigalos!

I actually just got the results of my CT scan which show normal/non-inflamed SI joints and normal disks! So happy to hear that. It's convincing me more and more that this is indeed TMS, which just blows my mind as I was ENTIRELY convinced this was structural (as we all are/have been). Seeing the light!

Pan--I will let you know how this goes for me and hopefully be able to provide some inspiration for you! Remember TMS is very very tricky!

7 months post partum, "diagnosed" with SI joint pain/pelvic laxity which began over a year ago. Normal xray. Not helped by physio, chiro, belts, orthotics, massage, or rest.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000