TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Osteopenia - do I need to worry about it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  21:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently I had a bone density test, which said that I have slight osteopenia. (This was a routine test, I'm not having any pain or problems.) My doctor told me to take calcium supplements. But I'm wondering if osteopenia is just normal with age (I'm in my mid-40s) and if I can just write it off as TMS-related, and not bother with the calcium? After reading that calcium supplements can cause heart attacks I'm not really too thrilled about taking them.

Thanks for any insight!

Busted

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  09:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Busted

Recently I had a bone density test, which said that I have slight osteopenia. (This was a routine test, I'm not having any pain or problems.) My doctor told me to take calcium supplements. But I'm wondering if osteopenia is just normal with age (I'm in my mid-40s) and if I can just write it off as TMS-related, and not bother with the calcium? After reading that calcium supplements can cause heart attacks I'm not really too thrilled about taking them.

Thanks for any insight!

Busted

I would not write this off as TMS related. On what basis would you do that. Sure osteo is common in the aging, as are broken bones. Normal doesn’t equate to harmless.

All thats said, you need to do research on the supplements. There’s a debate as to whether they work. If it were me I’d be making sure I do plenty of weight bearing exercise and not smoking of course...

Edited by - art on 06/19/2013 09:32:41
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  10:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi love,

I gladly second Art's words and would add that the Western obsession with calcium is a little off base. Explore magnesium. Use these links as a springboard as there is much information online.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/034549458X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1371657758&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

http://www.betteryou.uk.com/Magnesium-Flakes-Original-1kg

All the best.
Go to Top of Page

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your replies. I did read something about taking calcium and magnesium together. I'll have to look further into it.
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its probably a normal part of aging but I'd do research on whether supplements have any studies that would conclude it helps bone density increase or stay the same.

Id look at it as preventative stuff and also workout not just for health but to look good and feel good.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busted.....this is most certainly NOT something I would relate to TMS. If you are in your mid 40s and already have this then you need to take action and supplements isn't enough....you have to look at the cause.

I challenge you to Google animal protein and osteoporosis.
You really need to start eating an alkalizing diet.....more fruit and veg and much much less processed food and animal protein.

Think about it...western society drinks more milk than anyone......yet we have some of the highest rates of osteoporosis...........clearly something is wrong.

There are some good docos also.

Good luck
D

Edited by - Darko on 06/19/2013 15:43:36
Go to Top of Page

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have osteopenia, too and had several fractures due to it. The reason was an extreme lack of vitamin d because I could't go into the sun. Maybe you should check out your vit d level because really low levels over a long time can cause osteopenia/osteoporosis.

I don't take any supplements except vitamin d, maybe I should ask my doctor.
Age could not be a factor in my case, it started when I was about 26 years old and a few years ago I begun to react very oversensitive to the sun.

DArko, did not know that animal proteins are bad for osteopenia!?!

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  16:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birdie you are also right about Vit D. Animal protein causes excessive Uric acid ( and inflammation ), and your body uses Calcium ( this process causes kidney stones ) and Magnesium filter from your system.

You wouldn't know about it cause we've been brain washed to believe that we NEED animal products in our diet......which is no true

Studies have shown more calcium in urine than was ingested after drinking milk......so it was coming from the bones.

Dont believe me....do your research, it's all there for anyone to read.

The medical system will dispute this because there is significant financial interest to maintain the status quo

Get on youtube and type "old vegans" results speak for themselves.

In fact ALL old healthy populations of people have a "plant based" diet

D

Edited by - Darko on 06/19/2013 16:43:51
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  18:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have osteoporosis and probably began losing bone in my mid 40's. I do not believe this is related to TMS.

In my opinion, the first thing you should do is look for a site called "The Better Bones Blog" and look here for a list of medical conditions for which osteoporosis is a symptom. 2 of the main medical conditions to check for are hyperthyroidism and hyperparathyroidism. I had hyperparathyroidism that gave me osteoporosis. It was not caught for almost 10 years because most doctors, even Endocrinologists, do not know how to diagnose it. The main feature is serum calcium over 10, no matter what the upper limit for the test says.

I do not agree that a vegan diet is best for thin bones. Osteoporosis is extremely common among young and middle-aged woman vegans. This is probably because the minerals used by the body to build bone are stored in body fat. I was on a vegetarian diet for several years when my osteoporosis got the worst. I could never keep my body weight while on this diet. These diets are extremely low in essential proteins and fats. They are also usually deficient in Vitamin B-12. I believe that a balanced diet is best. If you do decide to do the vegan diet, make sure it is a well-planned diet and you have accounted for all the vitamins and minerals you need.

Also, I would use the FRAX tool to gauge your risk for osteoporosis because
the measurement of calcium bone density has proven to be a very unreliable indicator of fracture risk and fracture risk is all that matters. The DEXA test is only one risk factor for osteoporosis.

If I had it to do over, I would never have taken any of the bone drugs on the market no matter what my doctor said.

I have done a lot of research on supplements. I take a multi-vitamin, a mineral supplement, some supplemental calcium and lots of magnesium. , a good vitamin C supplement (perhaps buffered to protect your stomach)I live in a very sunny climate, so don't need much extra Vitamin D.

If you are interested, Inspire hosts a online forum for osteoporosis sponsored by the National Osteoporosis Foundation.

Believe me, if I had it to do over, I would NEVER listen to doctors when it comes to osteoporosis. My husband is a doctor and agrees with me on this.

These are only my personal opinions.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  18:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" Osteoporosis is extremely common among young and middle-aged woman vegans "

Care to provide some evidence to this claim?

Of course your condition will get worse when you are a vegetarian! You're still taking in excess amount of animal protein, and dairy is the worse culprit. Most Vegos think they need to smash eggs and bucket loads of cheese to stay alive.

"I do not agree that a vegan diet is best for thin bones"

I don't think it's a matter of opinion.......its a matter of fact. Unless you can provide some facts to counter what I originally said then I'm afraid this is nothing more than your opinion.....which I think is incorrect.....then again one can find facts to prove anything these days

The science backs up what I am saying......prove me wrong and I'm happy to change my thinking

I'm not saying a vegan diet is the only way to go......but do the research and it seems pretty obvious to me.

Just to clarify.....it relates more to being acidic than being vegan. So a vegan eater that eats an acidic diet is also going to have issues.....that's what I know so far anyway. Forget the vegan thing and just focus on a less acidic diet.....surely that's good right?

D

Edited by - Darko on 06/19/2013 18:48:03
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  18:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look Darko, I stated in my post that these are my personal opinions. So please back off.

If you are interested in debating this issue, please go to the Inspire Osteoporosis site where you can debate it to your heart's content. You will find a lot of people there who agree with you. I will not waste my time. I do not wish to debate this issue here.

Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  19:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry you took it the wrong way.....I don't really want to debate it either. My post must have come across the wrong way. I am sorry about that.

I have looked at this heaps and thought that if you had evidence to suggest that what I was saying was wrong then I would love to see some links.

Anyway no dramas

D

Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  19:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Darko, I didn't mean to come across that way. It is just that some of these diets don't work well for some people. That is all I was saying. Let's just agree to disagree.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  20:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It is just that some of these diets don't work well for some people

This is very true, and usually the result of things like Vitamin B12, so you are correct there. Having said that it's possible to live this way and the results seem to indicate it's a better option....but again one needs to research it.....

D
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  20:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to deal with both osteoporosis & Osteopenia sensibly.

I have osteopenia & my gynecologist was worried. I did a blood test & found I was D deficient. She told me to sit in the sun more. When I told her that I spend a lot of time sitting by the pool ( I am lucky I can because of my skin type) she said that there were other women in HK who told her the same thing who were also deficient. Maybe its to do with the pollution levels & all that haze floating in from China that blocks the sunlight from being effective. So she has put me on D3 supplements.

Rather than take too many supplements try to eat more stuff that has calcium. Here in the far east people don't drink that much milk but we eat a lot of sesame based foods, spinach , kale beans etc. The body can process the calcium in food better than it can in huge doses of calcium tablets.

There is also a urine test which shows how much calcium is excreted by the body & if it is too much then there is something wrong with your diet. My doc told me to keep eating what I was eating as I have no problem. My diet is straightforward. Lots of veg, some red or wild rice & protein like chicken, pork & fish. And a bit of fruit.

Rather than focus on so many things that MAY work, why not focus on what we know DOES work. A bit of sunshine, D3 supplements & bone bearing exercises. Walking & swimming do not meet the requirements, you have to do some weights or weight bearing exercises.

Mala

Mala Singh Barber. I'm on facebook. Look me up
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  20:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you guys ever heard of the PH Miracle Diet. The guy is a little extreme and he lists cases upon cases in his book like Sarno. I really don't know the validity to these claims but I now Anthony Robbins now follows him.

I did the diet a few years back when the doctors said my pains were from my stomach and not my ribs.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  20:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, how did you guys find out you had the issue? What symptoms were there?
Fractures?

D
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  22:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with specialized diets or eating is that most of the food we eat is adulterated, void of nutrients, and chock full of pesticides and poison.

The conventional wisdom was that red meat caused heart problems and all sorts of other maladies, and while it probably does contribute to sickness now, due to the factory production of beef (and chicken and fish), grass finished beef, eaten by people as little as forty years ago, was and is as natural as our Paleo ancestors.

I always wonder about the convention wisdom too, when the pundits say that people died so much earlier than they do today. Yes, it is true, but was it due to diet or to accident and disease?

It is anecdotal evidence and conclusion, but the generation that was born from the 1880's to early 1900's, ate whatever they wanted, usually close to the source of growth or slaughter, and lived a long time. I also see birth and death dates of people from centuries ago, and they seem to have just a long a life span or longer than folks today. With Independence Day coming, I give you John Adams, aged 90, and Thomas Jefferson, aged 83, both of whom died exactly 50 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 04, 1826, Jefferson before Adams by hours.

One can argue diets until the corn and antibotic stuffed cows come home, but I think it is really a question of what is in the food -- or worse, what is the food? Or... is it food?

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  13:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
darko:

This explains about blood acidity/alkalinity.

In simple terns, the alkaline diet hypothesis depends on the premise that the blood PH is variable (it is not or you would die quickly). It also depends on the premise that the body, in order to balance PH, takes calcium from the bones. It does not. The blood PH is maintained in a tight range (at about 7.4) by the kidneys and the lungs. The kidneys produce bicarbonate cells for this purpose and the lungs expel carbon dioxide (a byproduct of acidity). read the article. My husband, who is a doctor, also explained this to me. What you eat has little effect on your blood PH.

It is really amazing how bad science gets believed if you advertise it enough!!

http://chriskresser.com/the-ph-myth-part-1?inf_contact_key=08def769760bb5c367fa90e227aa8b03984a17f1ed3f999c3c57b76c1cf3470f
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  17:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are so many claims made by so many people nowadays that it may be best just to disregard everything.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  17:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chickenbone,
Yes the blood is maintained at a set ph, the body does it's work to maintain that. However it uses Calcium and Magnesium to do that, and if you eat a very acidic diet then more calcium is used to maintain this tight range.

The body must do this or yes, you will die, so calcium is taken from the bones. Acid and Calcium go out in your urine.......which is the number one cause of kidney stones. Kidney stone are calcium are they not?

quote:
What causes kidney stones?

The leading cause of kidney stones is a lack of water. Stones commonly have been found in those that drink less than the recommended eight to ten glasses of water a day. When there is not enough water to dilute the uric acid (component of urine), the pH level within the kidneys drops and becomes more acidic. An excessively acidic environment in the kidneys is conducive to the formation of kidney stones.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/154193.php

I'm not sure so much that it's bad science but more a bad understanding of the science.

Either way it doesn't really matter, my point is not EVERYTHING is TMS and, bone issues need to be looked at carefully and I sure as hell wouldn't believe anything the medical community say. If they knew what they were talking about the populations health wouldn't be the disaster it is currently. The ONLY thing they know how to do is to put you on medicine, and fix nothing!

Don't believe me, just open your mind to it and do some research to see if what I'm saying makes sense. I'm no expert in this area

UPDATE
Just read that link, very interesting and seems to suggest the above is all BS. Once again, it's only one person, who funded the studies and who is this guy connect to. In the end I don't believe anyone, I take a theory and apply it and see if I get results....which I have done and it's been working for me.

Just try a less animal protein, acidic diet and see what happens. It won't hurt you, and you'll feel good from lots of fruit and veg

Read this womans real life RESULTS. If she did it, then its possible
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/mary_splady.html
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/star07_ruth-heidrich.html

Good luck.

D

Edited by - Darko on 06/23/2013 18:27:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: