TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Osteopenia - do I need to worry about it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MichaelB

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  20:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calcium is fine to take but make sure you take some magnesium with it,
otherwise you may learn what constipation feels like. Believe me on the calcium
though. You can find calcium tabs with Mags also. Right at your local
pharmacy. Enjoy. You will like it.
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  22:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not true that a more acidic diet causes more calcium to be leached from the body. Bone status is not much affected by the PH of foods we eat.

As far as I can tell, the rest of your post doesn't pertain to the subject, which is that proponents of the alkaline diet theory claim that blood PH can be controlled by diet, all evidence shows that it cannot.

I am not trying to convince you and it is fine with me if you believe what you want. I only posted this article because it explains what is the correct explanation of how the body controls blood PH. Also, others are reading these posts and I would prefer that they heard both sides of the story.

Also, I might call attention to the giant food supplement industry that funds all sorts of questionable research for the purpose of selling their products. It is possible that many people have been sickened or even killed by ingesting these products and they are not even regulated at all. It seems like every 20 years or so, we are treated to a new vitamin craze. Linus Pauling went off the rails on vitamin C in the 1960's. He thought Vitamin C would prevent or cure everything. He was giving his wife (who eventually died of a really weird cancer) megadoses for years. Most of the vitamins have had their turn. Now, Vitamin D is the latest miracle cure.

I have been taken in more than once by these medical hacks who will do or say anything to sell something. It is my opinion that the holistic medicine types and the supplement industry are in bed like never before. They prey upon hypochondriacs like most of us.

Please note that I am in favor of a healthy, well-balanced diet.

Like I said before, we can just agree to disagree. You can have the last word if you like.
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  16:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chickenbone, i actually enjoy having a conversation with someone that might be able to teach me something. The last thing i want to do is live my life believing all the crap in my head. So I appreciate your input.

I agree with pretty much everything you said anyway.....and maybe I'm completely wrong. But I look at results and if the results line up with the theory then it's worth looking at.....

D
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  18:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
darko, you are right, you should look at results - what works for you. Don't let anyone ever talk you out of what is right for you.

Amen for that - I would hate to think that I believe all the crap going through my head also!!
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  00:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not everything is TMS. There is a huge link between hormones & bone density in women & that's a given. Men do lose a little but not nearly as much as we do & that's because they do not go thru the same hormonal changes as we do. The risk of fractures as we grow older is real too.

We can debate the value of different supplements till the cows come home. Vitamin D, Magnesium, calcium may or may not be beneficial, depends on how your body will process them or if your body really needs them so you'll have to take a chance on those.

If you don't want to take chances & want to be strong & healthy then you do what you know is going to work rather than focus on what MIGHT & that is:

Maintain a healthy weight.

Work out with weights to increase or maintain bone density

Build muscle mass so that you are well supported & feel strong.

Eat a healthy diet. There seems to be some evidence that women in the far east suffer less form osteoporosis. There could be a number of reasons. They are not many large/ obese women here. Maybe that is diet or it could be genetics but people here eat meat sparingly, Its usually one dish amongst many others. We consume a lot less dairy. We tend to eat more rice products than wheat , we eat soya & lots & lots of green veggies. We also eat smaller meals & snack often. We have a culture of sharing dishes which means we usually order 4 dishes between 6 people. Soft drinks in moderation, we drink a lot of green tea & water. Portions are well regulated. And we eat according to seasons which means we get a lot of variety in our food.

Mala

Mala Singh Barber. I'm on facebook. Look me up

Edited by - mala on 06/25/2013 02:27:35
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  10:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mostly agree with you, Mala.

However, Asians as a group have thinner bones, but many less fractures. I think the western system of DEXA tests only considers one factor that contributes to osteoporosis. That is why the WHO uses the FRAX. It is a much better predictor of fracture risk, which is all that really matters. The FRAX considers a DEXA score only one risk factor for osteoporosis.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  20:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree chickenbone. FRAX is much better. What is amazing is how different the scores are for whichever country you choose. I did India for ethnicity & China coz that's where I was born & have lived. Not a big difference but still some. Pretty good scores though so !'m pleased.

Mala

Mala Singh Barber. I'm on facebook. Look me up
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000