TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New Free TMS Recovery Program by Alan Gordon, LCSW
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  13:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that TMS practitioner, Alan Gordon, LCSW, has developed and contributed a free TMS recovery program for the online TMS community. Some of you may be familiar with Alan’s work through his free webinars and articles on Breaking The Pain Cycle and Outcome Independence. The program builds off of his experience as a TMS therapist and these past contributions. You can find it by clicking this link.

Alan Gordon describes the goal of the program to generally provide you with a deeper understanding of why you have your pain, how it’s being perpetuated, and what steps you can take to eliminate or significantly reduce it. It is completely free and includes audio clips from coaching sessions that teach you concrete skills for healing your TMS.

Alan has been working on this program for over a year, and I am tremendously grateful to him for donating his time and this program to the online community. And I’m looking forward to reading the whole thing

Forest

My Video Success Story
www.thankyoudrsarno.org

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  13:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very generous and gracious of Alan to do this. I see he bases at least some of his approach on a form of depth psychology, ISTDP, also favored by Arlene Feinblatt who was Dr. Sarno's principal therapist.
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  17:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, having been through it himself, he is tremendously passionate about this work and really poured himself into the writing the program.

At one point he flew out to NYC to spend some time meeting with Dr. Sarno and all of the psychologists Dr. Sarno works closely with with - people like Eric Sherman, Fran Anderson, Bob Evans, and Arlene Feinblatt. ISTDP is really powerful stuff.

The session he uses ISTDP in, the one about Anger/Rage is super intense:
http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program#Anger
To me, it really illustrates Dr. Sarno's observation that we carry around rage that we are not conscious of. For Dustin, that rage was just under the surface. He was so controlled on the outside, but boiling over underneath.

It raises the question of whether one needs to express and experience all of that to heal. However, by the end of the session, Dustin was noticeably calmer. I think it really surprised him how much he felt.

My Video Success Story
www.thankyoudrsarno.org
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  20:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful post and great information from Alan. It was really generous of him. I could really see this program helping a lot of people. Forest I think his method helps you achieve a deeper level of relaxation with the rage model as a construct. If you look at the program, from my point of view, it helps the person to be more aware of how tense and hard they are on themselves, and a change occurs on that level, which helps achieve the relaxation needed for healing. I cannot say that proves we are carrying a lot of rage per se.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  20:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's interesting, I look at the same program and see lots of depth psychology elements -- identifying sources of abuse, and identifying and addressing repression. Something for everyone, I guess. Whatever your perspective, I think all could agree it's well-done and covers a lot of ground and is a very generous thing to have done.
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  10:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the kind of thing that's so refreshing to see... someone putting people first, not book sales and self-promotion. Major kudos to all involved in making this happen.

I spoke with Alan a couple of years back and he is an extremely bright, and kind man.
I needed a referral and wound up with his name. He wasn't close enough to work with me, but took a long time helping me sort through options and talked to me for a very long time about my condition at the time, and was really a genuinely caring and decent guy.

It doesn't surprise me at all that he's sacrificing some of his time and possibly profits for the greater good. Glad to see this.
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  11:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is great to see thanks for posting. i read a section of alan's recovery program a while back when he sent it to me and it was great. can't wait to read this tonight
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  11:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bryan3000

This is the kind of thing that's so refreshing to see... someone putting people first, not book sales and self-promotion.

...It doesn't surprise me at all that he's sacrificing some of his time and possibly profits for the greater good. Glad to see this.

Thanks for that insight Bryan, you've finally made me see the light, I'm issuing full refunds to all here that I've selfishly helped. From now on I'm giving my advice here for FREE!

BTW, I just got seven used copies of the Good Doctor's HBP and MOBP, that I give away gratis, to people who I feel may benefit from it. The good news is that the "used" copies of Dr. Sanrno's books look like new, probably hardly opened. I recommend to the incorrigible GOODISTS here, to ferret out these "lightly used" copies of Sarno to spread his words of healing like Johnny Appleseeds.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft

Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  15:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can one thread on here not be hijacked into a bitching match between people. like kids arguing back and forth
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  19:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgreen97

can one thread on here not be hijacked into a bitching match between people. like kids arguing back and forth

If you're referring to me, which I'm sure you are, when Bryan stops with the inuendos about my friends and TMS heroes, Nicole and SteveO, calling them "book peddlers", "advertisers" and "profiteers", I'll stop the sarcasm. He started it, he's the one who keeps it going, apparently you are blind to it, address your comments to him. SteveO and Nicole have given selflessly and for free of their time here and to me personally, just like Bryan got from Alan Gordon. As long as Bryan keeps sprinkling his posts with inuendos, I will keep replying to them.

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8D7w0IUIPU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod =================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  20:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DGreen97: next question? :)
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  20:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think people are smart enough make their own conclusions without you needing to be hostile and obnoxious towards people. I really don't know how you have the time and energy to carry on with this garbage.

You might well be right, but you cannot control the way other people act. People are free to post whatever they want, if their comments are pointless they will soon be ignored..........but it's always someone elses fault.

D
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  21:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not blind to anything. steveO is awesome i've talked with him a lot and hes helped me a lot. did i point you out? no i said i wish people would stop taking good threads with posters actually trying to help others out and starting crap with eachother. if you have beef with bryan then send him a message about it instead of calling him out on this thread.

it seems every thread that gets started now has some good information going back and forth at first, then one post gets thrown in there and then all of a sudden theres 58 replies going back and forth that have nothing to do with the original thread (like Nicole's thread that was completely hijacked). people on here are trying to heal not get into a bunch of drama for god sakes.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  21:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darko

I really don't know how you have the time and energy to carry on with this garbage.

...People are free to post whatever they want..

I'm semi retired and practicing my writing skills for my TMS book and hope to get a gig on SNL or Howard Stern. You're late to this party Darko, you missed a few chapters.

Peeps can post whatever they want--drum-roll--and so can I. As long as Bryan keeps harping about TMS authors making a buck trying to feed their children, I'll keep replying--it's Bryan's call. I have a lot of energy, did thirteen marathons, this is easy.

Cheers mate,
tt/lsmft

Edited by - tennis tom on 06/04/2013 21:24:33
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  21:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgreen97

steveO is awesome i've talked with him a lot and hes helped me a lot.

Well if you like SteveO and Nicole you can thank ME for them being here. Bryan did everything he could to keep them off this board and I personally contacted them getting them to return. If you think I'm hostile go back in the archives and read what slanders Bryan had to say about me, it's a fun read. Please email Nicole and SteveO and they will corroborate what I say.

When Bryan stops with his inuendos about TMS authors making a buck I'll stop replying to them to balance the playing field and fill in the history for those late to the party, it's in his ball-park. There's a real simple solution, ignore any post that has my name on it.

Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  22:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand where TT is coming from and think he is doing the right thing. Keep balancing the playing field TT!
Go to Top of Page

spaceladybaby

France
12 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  02:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If someone/something is causing an emotional response in you as it seems with TT at the moment with posts he is reading and reacting strongly too, it usually means something is going on at a much deeper level. Anger, control, fear..I dont know. It's up to all of us to look within when emotional reactions like these occur. I think this is how we heal and emotional reactions are cues for us to look within in a non-judging, compassionate way. Lets face it, we all do it in all aspects of our life. WE are all TT in some shape or form. Lets all treat each other with respect and compassion guys and realise the ego flare's up strong in all of us and there's no need to react to it when it seems strong in a persons post otherwise it gets stronger and stronger and rages on!
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  05:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't buy that, SpaceLadyBaby...Based solely on TT's description of the history of his interaction with bryan3000, it appears that TT is interested in fairness and nipping cyber bullying in the bud...I commend TT for his directness and support of his friends...Negativity has no place on the forum...I admit that I have had, like bryan3000 apparently, second thoughts about posts from individuals who are selling books. However, I have decided that, on balance, these posts can be very helpful because they introduce us to new ways of thinking - to complement Sarno's concepts - and to new products that may dramatically help the readers - as apparently Steve O's book did (I have his book but have not read it yet).

Edited by - Fox on 06/05/2013 06:26:46
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  10:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had no clue that Books were frowned upon so much. I especially feel weird now that I announced I was writing one.

And coincidentally this thread was created just AS I announced it.

Damnit...

---------------------------
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"- John Lennon

"TMS is just as afraid of us succeeding, as it is us failing" - Me
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  12:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey LA_Kevin,

No one frowns upon books. There have been a couple of book sales tours that hit the forum pretty hard, one complete with questionable reviews that were later discredited... and another hit-and-run appearance of a dude (not joking) who claimed to cure 90% of his patients in 2 hours from all TMS symptoms. Of course, he balked and ran away when a few members asked him to prove it. Mind-body "experts" are appearing out of the woodwork and people are writing books at a break-neck pace. Not every one of them is going to be worshiped as having biblical importance.

There are lots of great authors, professionals and others helping folks out here. From what I've watched, the key is sincerity and treating the forum like a group of people, not an audience. For example, you have been here for a long time helping people. It's clear that your intent is to help others, not purely profit. You don't talk about yourself ad nauseam or make yourself the story over the community here. You're a perfect example, in my opinion of someone who people would look to and trust for help. I also suspect that you would not claim you "were too busy" to stop here and help people. You can't have enough time to promote your product, but be "too busy" to stay and help people. Bad combo that is very transparent.

My other thought might be that book-sellers need thick skin. If you're going to claim to have expertise on a subject, and you must if you're writing a book... you'll need to understand that people are going to question you. It's normal, natural and frankly a good thing! You WANT people to help you grow and challenge yourself. This is just my opinion from working in a very similar field for a few decades now. When people put something out for public consumption, some like it... some don't. We can learn from both.

Now, the other aspect is that a large contingent of people here feel as if a lot of people get stuck in the info-gathering mode. So, you may be picking up on the idea that many feel there is plenty of info already out there to heal. A few who have healed completely state that the constant book purchasing and info gathering is in and of itself, a TMS distraction.

So, there are a few reasons you might have picked up that notion. But, please... you seem like a very intelligent person. Don't mistake a couple of examples for a general feeling around here. No one is "opposed to books." That's pure insanity and a pretty good example of how misinformation is spread when people don't really know the back story.

This is a free forum where everyone should be allowed to speak their mind, regardless of who agrees or disagrees. I expect your book will be well-received, given your history and intentions and I wish you the best of luck. I do hope you chose to go the route of helping people over self-promotion and profit, but that's purely my opinion. You don't have to agree or pay a lick of attention. Best of luck to you!

Edited by - bryan3000 on 06/05/2013 12:17:50
Go to Top of Page

jegol71

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  13:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to providing succor and assumed wisdom, a book if it is not to be derivative must operate with a clarity and precision that is not otherwise available. It's selfish to parrot what has been said in merely new packaging, but it is absolutely vital to share oneself as a resource if they have gestating within them something that hasn't been offered.

Sometimes repackaged material becomes new to an audience because of the writer's voice. I would argue that that material is new in the z-direction, and fulfills a need to at least someone in the anonymous infinity of people in pain.

I think the challenges to authors are great, as they must refine the material and clarify it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000