TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 This takes the cake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  17:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an old regular reader/poster but haven't been here in months as I have been doing a lot better with my sciatica. However, listen to this new ridiculous stimulus/programming/conditioning that is periodically turning on my sciatica with a vengeance...My wife bought a new doormat that is coir (a bit soft) rather than the hard rubber one we have had for years. I admit that I hate change. I also hate the fact that she did not ask me my opinion on what doormat (for the front porch/front door) to get. Now, after I step on it to come into or leave the house - at least 20% of the time anyway - I get horrible sciatica that lasts for 15 to 30 minutes or more. Right now it's close to the worse it has ever been - of all things!! I want the old rubber type mat back so bad so I can just avoid this pain, but I cannot tell her about this stupidity so I've got to "tough it out" with the squishy coir doormat. And guess what - the doormat feels not much different than standing on our soft indoor rugs which have never hurt me...I'm a trip and conditioning is real.

Edited by - Fox on 06/04/2013 13:18:52

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  18:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pavlov's dog!! :)
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  19:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arff! Arff!
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  20:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had something similar, there was a period when I was going regularly to a hospital and I would always get foot pain walking down a particular hallway. It was uncanny.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  22:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote] I admit that I hate change. I also hate the fact that she did not ask me my opinion on what doormat (for the front porch/front door) to get/quote]

I think this says it all. I think you may want to ponder why something so trivial as your wife buying a door mat without asking you would make you react so strongly with the word 'hate'.

Mala

Mala Singh Barber. I'm on facebook. Look me up
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  00:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had in point in my TMS where wearing socks would make my sciatica subside, or at least I swore.

The TMS mind is insane and illogical.

---------------------------
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"- John Lennon

"TMS is just as afraid of us succeeding, as it is us failing" - Me
Go to Top of Page

1koolkat

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  09:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Fox, thank you for posting this. It reminds me of the value of alcoholics and drug addicts and TMS'ers. They often show me why NOT to drink, etc. Thanks for your courage to post here and I'm grateful you feel safe to say outloud what your mind will not let you tell your wife. It reminds me of the reason I DO tell my husband about the tricks I play on myself with my mind (most other people get plain bored with it right away). I realize I haven't yet set it up with him to have accountability. I want him to listen and hear what I'm going through and at some point, very soon, hopefully, I want him to say, STOP IT!!! Or some such thing to wake me up.

You have said that the mat caused your pain, your wife bought the mat without asking you, and that you can't tell your wife about what is going on. IT'S NOT THE MAT! I have to say that plainly first, because what may be at the root of the issue is your relationship with your wife. Deal with that, and the mat is seen for what it is: a mat. Another reaction you could have had with the mat would be: "wow, look, my wife bought a new mat. Nice. Oh, feel that. It's squishy, just like our carpets." Happily, you do see your dependence on things being a certain way and the tricks you play on yourself.

Now, I have to close because I noticed some anxiety I caused myself yesterday by finally getting back to working on finances and filing and I may or may not have to do some journaling about this. I just love how life arrives in the present moment to show me what I need to work on next. I may or may not have to delve into the sordid past to uncover something. The only thing I have to do is start writing if I'm feeling something. And it's not about money, filing, or finances. It's about who I think I am in relation to that.

Kathryn Parker
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  10:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fox, your post started a bit of an altercation between me and the significant other:

Me: Ha, I like that Fox knows not to hassle his wife about the new mat.
He: (as if he doesn't know): Why wouldn't he talk to her?
Me: Because she'd tell him to get over himself.
He: She's a mean lady. You wouldn't do that.
Me: (identifying pathetic attempt at psychological manipulation): I would so do that! And you would, too, if I said something similar to you.
He: She should have discussed a new mat with him.
Me: Oh, balogna (baloney for you Americans), so he could say no? She wanted a new mat, not an argument.
He: Well, I would never buy a new mat and expect you to like it. I'd never hear the end of it.
Me: (thinks: darn tootin', buster). Hmph.

"It's worth considering that tms is not a treatment but rather an unfolding of the self, and a way of living as an emotionally aware and engaged soul." Plum
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  10:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did tell my wife that I didn't like the softness/sink-down-into-it feeling versus my beloved (but admittedly worn out) hard rubber mat, but I was afraid to tell her the real problem - "it" aggravates my sciatica - because she would think I was nutty. (Although that assertion is actually no more nutty than her telling me that she has to sleep on a huge orthopedic pillow - that I call it the "neck breaker" - because a regular pillow "gives" her neck pain....I went further and asked her if that mat was really important to her. She replied that, yes, it was the most important thing to her in the house. (I think that must have been an exaggeration, but it let me know that to push it further might be damaging to our relationship.)...I still may bring it up to her again...One of the problems is that I actually do like the look of it, so I cannot say it is unattractive...By the way, we just replaced the front porch so this was her finishing touch for this renovation.
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  12:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I am sorry you are in pain from this little quarrel, hilarious post

Women are the boss when it comes to decorating the house, just accept it Fox Forgive and let go, forgive and let go
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  20:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job giggalos!
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  13:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to end this particular story - or just about end it. i The intense sciatic pain is gone. Just had to wait it out, stay active, and dispute the foolish structural ideas. But being the poster child for conditioning and related fear, I now find myself stepping on the mat with my right (good) foot and putting the left (bad) foot directly into the house or onto the concrete porch - whichever way I am traveling...Before the intense pain came - a few days ago - I was having minor pain after stepping on the squishy doormat with my left foot, so I had decided to attack the problem aggressively - via Fred Amir - by standing on the doormat with both feet and doing a bunch of calf raises...That's when the pain really got bad but I know this was not activity related. Hopefully, I can work my way back to using the left foot on the mat (especially if I have mud on my shoes), but the pain has been so bad, I'll admit I have hesitation...Eventually, I'll tame this conditioning.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  13:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, by the way, my leg is now hurting after just thinking about having to face this absurd problem - after picturing in my mind the solution - and I have had almost no pain all day until this point...Just call me one certified TMS dude...If you wonder if conditioning is real, can actually take place, just think of me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000