TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tennis Tom-Where are you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miss your input!

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  09:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi AlmostThere,

Thanks for missing me. In answer to your question, I'm still here. I still peruse the board several times a day but not with the fervor I used to. After over 500 posts, I don't feel I have much new to add regarding TMS theory at this time. I feel the mission of the board should be to help each other correctly understand and interpret Dr. Sarno's theory. Dave does an excellent job of keeping things on track. And Baseball65 as well as others do a wonderful job of helping newbee's.

I am having to re-think my hip injury after being diagnosed for the second time by a TMS doctor that it is in fact arthritis and I should get a hip-replacement. I am still using TMS methods to deal with this but opening my mind to exploring surgery--but no hurry. I still have the hope that my body can fix the cartelege inury on it's own.

I still practice and play tennis about four hours a day, improving my technique and having fun. I have not lost faith in TMS theory and it has helped me play through many "injuries" and "twinges". I feel TMS theory will help me through many future injuries and psychological equivalents to make me stronger. I have played tennis with too many doctors to trust their line calls and vision better than mine. I won't trust important health decisions to someone who has only known me for 10 minutes.

A few physical things I will persue is to try to lose about 20 pounds and ride an exercise bike 30 minutes a day. My mother had arthritis in her hands and as soon as we got her an exercise bike and she road it 30 minutes a day it went away. That lead me to believe that it was a circulatory problem.

I have had some recent situations that have increased my stress levels but feel I have handled them well. My dad was in the hospital with what was thought to be a transient stroke. He is home now but will require much more attention on my part. I had a recent management change at my business but that has been resolved in a postive direction. Also I have had case before the US Supreme Court that has yet to be resolved, but feel pretty postive about it's outcome.

So, I'm still around, just dealing with some life situations and some transitions.

Go to Top of Page

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  13:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tennis Tom-
Glad to hear you are still out there....somewhere...checking in on the group every now and again! I do agree you have a lot on your plate right now....and you have worked very hard on your hip problem with TMS principles....I guess we all have to realize that there are some things that are structural in the final analysis and have to be dealt with as such...even though I think you are wise to try anything and everything first,e.g. an exercise bike, weight loss, etc....I agree with you that Dave and Baseball 65 do an excellent job answering the posts...however....when I first discovered and joined this Message Board you seemed to be the "senior member"...the person that got it...and helped clarify it for the rest of us! Take care and check in with us and let us know how you are doing!
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  12:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom,

I went to a new ortho doc this morning, mostly for a second opinion and to see if a doctor could be civil to me. The last one I saw in July told me I was old, was no longer an athlete and need a hip replacement. That was all based on a 2-minute review of x-rays and throwing my leg around.

This doctor spent some time with me. I indeed have arthritis, but it is not severe. He said to manage it by eating a healthy diet, exercise, among other things. I asked him about tension and stress levels and he said ABSOLUTELY, stress and tension will cause pain. I thanked him for that! He also told me I'm not old, I can still be an athlete and I most definitely do not need a hip replacement YET.

As far as hip replacements go, this doctor is one of only a few in the country who perform a minimally invasive hip replacement. I went to see his presentation on the procedure and it is fascinating. Tom, it might be worth a trip out to Omaha to see him. He's at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, one of the best in the country.

So as for me, I need to get back to the basics with the TMS work, now that anything serious has been ruled out.

Good luck TT!
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  13:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
I'm still hoping for your hip to survive on it's own.

I'm in trouble with mine, unfortunately. I'm wondering if any doctor told you that you have avascular necrosis. I've already used the board and been in touch with Dr. Sarno again about this, but it looks like I can't dodge this bullet.

If you don't mind, what is the latest on your hip diagnosis?

Polly

Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  13:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michelle,
I'm scheduled for the surgery you're referring to. The doctor here in Florida has done more than anyone else in the country. It's a 45 min. operation with ceramic parts and no cement.

Most doctors are opting for this now. It's the new way to go. They just all want to go there more than they should...methinks.

Polly
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  13:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polly

Michelle,
I'm scheduled for the surgery you're referring to. The doctor here in Florida has done more than anyone else in the country. It's a 45 min. operation with ceramic parts and no cement.

Most doctors are opting for this now. It's the new way to go. They just all want to go there more than they should...methinks.

Polly,
I think you're right, that there are too many surgeries performed, because people are desperate. If not for your study of Sarno, you would not have first weighed all your options. Good luck with the surgery and I predict you will come back better than ever and pain free! Please keep us posted!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  10:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michele and Polly, thanks for your posts. I will keep the the Omaha ortho in mind and get his name from you. I hope to be doing a lot of traveling in my future to play tennis tournaments and will probably pass through their and do a consult.

Polly, my bottom line on getting a hip-replacement would be if Dr. Sarno says it's time, then I would probably be convinced. After my dx by Schechter, I am leaving myself more open to learning about them but no hurry. I have many acquaintances that have had both hips replaced and are quite satisfied with the outcomes. The procedure has become quite routine and I with the latest techniques it's only a 2-3 inch incision and they have you on your feet the same day for re-hab.

Polly, after your very negative surgical experience with your knees, I too would be quite gun-shy about going under the knife, but it sounds like you had a very bad surgeon. I have played with partners who have had their knees replaced and could run amazingly. Can you get to see Sarno for an "unbiased" call on whether you need a hip-relacement? He would be my bottom line.

My left hip has started to be painful as was predicted by the dox who looked at the x-rays and predicted it would. I'm treating this as TMS negative doctor suggestion. I am pursuing a course of trying to find a balance between activity and rest. I am trying to walk everyday, which makes it feel better, lose 20 lbs., some swimming and hot-tub, and improving my footwork technique on the tennis court. I realize some of this is "talking" physical, but the title of Dr. Sarno's book is "The Mind'body' Prescription".
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  14:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your attitude Tom. You may not know it, but you are a positive influence to many on this forum! Good luck! Keep us posted on your tennis game. My brother-in-law runs the Plaza Tennis Club in K.C., so if you ever want to play, drop my name and he'll get you in!
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  14:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
I am hoping to talk to Sarno this week. I can't get up to NY now. I emailed him and he'll probably call in the next couple of days. He's done this in the past.

I am beyond gun-shy with this, but everything I'm reading says that I probably don't have a choice here. If I don't do this immediately, there are a host of complications I'm facing. My TMS thinking is what is keeping me on my feet right now...limited as it is, but the femur head is dead bone and there is a cyst on top of the socket.

My other hip has arthritis, but I don't and won't deal with that. It looks like this hip has been my main problem all along. Replacing the knee in this leg was ridiculous. All that did was aggravate the hip problem. I was dumb and the surgeon should be in jail.

You are a great inspiration here. Hope you continue to feel good.

Polly
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  08:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone is interested, I did write to Dr. Sarno and he responded a day later. I really respect him. I explained the situation and got the following reply:

Dear :

I am so very sorry but I would not be competent to advise you
about the situation you described.

John Sarno, M. D.

I'm not sure what this means. I'm still trying to figure it out. I might call him, but I don't want to be a pest. I'm scheduled for surgery this Thursday.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  11:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Polly,

I am not surprised that Dr. Sarno will not get involved from a distance in your case. In this age of fear and loathing it's too easy to get nailed to the cross for mis-speaking. Freedom of speach can cost a lot if you say the wrong thing and there's an ambulance chaser nearby. I mailed him my x-rays years ago on the chance he would review and consult with me about them but he returned them without comment.

Good luck on your hip surgery. With the advanced necrosis and cyst it sounds like you need it. From my personal observations, I know many people who have had both hips replaced and are playing tennis, swimmming and dancing without pain now for many years. Hopefully after your hip settles in they can get back to your knees and get it right and you will be fully ambulatory.

Good luck Polly and we'll be praying for you. Keep posting and keep us informed.
tt
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  18:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Tom. This means a lot. I'm hoping for the best.

Polly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000