TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 new and have a question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Suzannes

3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  14:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new here. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in 2009. Have tried many treatments with no real improvement. I stumbled across this forum and I believe I have TMS. I've been using Schubiner's book for ten days and my pain had really improved. Before my sx started in 2009 I ran about 30 miles a week. I stopped running when IC sx started. I felt so good the other day that I ran for about a half mile. I felt great while I was running, but since then my pain has been worse then ever. I'm doing the affirmations like the book says when you have pain. My question is do I put off running for a little while longer or just keep running?

tmsjptc

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  14:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suzannes, I'd just go run. Did IC go away when you stopped running? It doesn't sound like it. Do you now think it got worse because you started running? I doubt it. It sounds like before you realized the true cause of your symptoms, your mind invented reasons to explain them. This is called a nocebo. You tell yourself if you avoid something that you won't get the pain. Funny thing is that even when it doesn't work, you still believe it.

Another thing that can happen is that when your unconscious mind realizes you are on to it (such as by going for a run without your previous fear), it intensifies the pain to try and re-introduce that doubt.

Either way, if it were me, I'd keep running.
Go to Top of Page

stayfit65

54 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  14:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. If running is something you enjoy, do it. I always felt better while I was exercising but later would get the spasms again. But, as time has gone on, they have become less and less to the point that they almost don't exist anymore. I really worked on changing my reactions to events (still a work in process) and also allowed a guilt-free amount of free-time. That has been the hardest part, the not feeling guilty about doing nice things for myself. So, now swimming, running, and biking are MY time. And heck, sometimes I just feel like taking a quiet nap...these things have really helped. I am breaking the cycle a little more every day. You can do it, don't give in and be patient. Don't rush healing, I tried to do that and it just frustrated me. Take care.
Go to Top of Page

GTfan

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  14:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very new to the concept of TMS. However, I have noticed that I rarely feel any pain while I excercise even if it is intense. The pain usually comes after.

From talking with people on here and reading, it seems that my mind is focused on the excercise so there is no need for a distraction from emotions. As soon as I'm done, the mind amps the pain back up to distract you from your emotions.

You’ll fall down, you stumble, you land square on your face. And every time that happens, you get back on your feet. You get up just as fast as you can, no matter how many times you need to do it
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  15:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would run. I'll stop when the symptoms is too much to handle. Whatever you decide to do, just don't fear your symptoms. That fearful emotion is destructive to your health.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Suzannes

3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  16:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Thanks. I was just a little disappointed after feeling so good!
Go to Top of Page

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  19:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I remember my IC started during a basketball game. I jumped for a rebound and painus-in-the-bladderus-startus-upus. If you have IC, which is nothing more than TMS, then just ignore it--keep running without fear. (make sure you have IC first). I know a woman who had IC, TMS, and they immediately removed her bladder. She had TMS and never needed the cystectomy. Too late. Dumb and Dumber.

I went to several MDs around my area looking for an answer but they all made me worse. They kept telling me I had torn a ligament that tied in and around my bladder. But it only showed up during times of great stress. It wasn't until I simply forgot about it and didn't fear it, that it finally left.

But it's also a sign that you're not happy and stressed. Your fear will keep your mind riveted there. Your brain created that symptom so you could hide behind it.

On the IC website it says that IC is not an emotional response! Then it says to "reduce your stress and anxiety." And yet people heal from it by ignoring it, with mindbody healing. So they're wrong of course.

I'm amazed at how many runners have TMS, or vice versa, TMS has runners. I would guess 30% or more who contact me are runners. I think it's because running is their way of coping with tension, and discharging the freeze response. Running is metaphorically running for them.

Off to run...

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Suzannes

3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  21:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve,
I know I'm not happy and have stress at work. Things took a turn for the worse for us financially in 2009. I was suppose to be done working by now, but we lost quite a bit of $ in the stock market. I'm a nurse practitioner and have a bi polar boss. Patients are difficult and he is moody. It would be hard to leave this practice because it is close to home and he pays very well!

I've had four cystoscopies, bladder bx, pelvic us, pelvic ct all were normal, nothing in the bladder or pelvis so they said IC. I've tried every installation, med, herbs, teas, acupuncture, PT blah, blah, blah.

So I know this is TMS and I am committed to see this thru!

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  15:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Your financial problems began in 09 and your IC did too. Chicken or egg? Or Phase 1 TMS?

All those tests you had are actually little traumas that keep you focused and obsessed on your bladder. Emmett Miller, MD, was just explaining to me how the brain gets locked into its loop, interesting.

IC is very common. You will heal. Keep learning, and stop obsessing about how you feel every day. Force your mind on your running and/or activity, and away from your bladder. If you never express your deep frustration and anger over what happened to you, then the TMS will simply shift from your bladder to another area. If the conflict remains strong in you, it will keep letting you know.

You can run but you can't hide, from the truth. Express TMS away.

Steve

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000