TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 The Wisdom of Steve Ozanich
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylvia

199 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  03:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right Katmur, there's a time when you just "know" you have tms and it's over. Doubt is the perpetual instigator. Full belief is the most important factor in healing, not thinking positive which does little if anything.

The debate over whether unpleasant symptoms are self-punishment or a protective mechanism can never be answered. I know without doubt that mine was self-punishment as Groddeck and Freud stated. The spanking down of darker images surfacing. Or as Groddeck stated, "it(pain and illnes) had to punish a sin against a commandment." You can look at the pain or symptom as a jail-cell. It serves to protect and to punish.

Most of the people I worked with also felt they were punishing themselves. But there were also a rare few who felt that there was no anger involved but I know without doubt that it was pure rage. The problem is that since they can't feel their anger they think it doesn't exist. And most of them had severe tempers because they were nice people--the huge bomb at the end of a very long fuse. As Dr. Sarno stated, "the anger causing your tms you will never feel...and any anger that you feel is not part of tms."

Groddeck was the most interesting person I researched. He was pure genius but also lent himself to be way out there on the edge like Freud. He never cared about his name in posterity he just healed people by the masses, mainly the chronically ill. But he first gave up his medical training (most of it), and resorted to using analytical therapy and massage. He felt psychotherapy could work in every single case.

Mindfulness is the key to healing. To understand that there is no happiness except in the moment, living for right now and stopping the planning and anticipation. Dr. Sarno made a brilliant move when he placed Horney's "tyranny of the should" in his first book. That connected deeply with me. Those cursed must do's and should have's in life.

I finished my last radio interview out of Los Angeles, now to the local campaign to spread the tms-gospel. I need to get with Dr. Z soon and also speak to a couple people here by phone. I haven't forgotten you, just very busy.

Healing is possible. People just doubt themselves, having been taught to do so. That's why Dr. Sopher wrote in my Foreword that the "medical establishment" gets some of the blame for perpetuating symptoms. Once you've been tested for anything more serious, then forget about the results if they reveal normal wear and tear.

The journey can be easy or bitterly hard, depending on how unwilling the person is to let go of past grievances and the deeper the need for the symptom.

Happiness first,
SteveO

GMack-daddy, thanks for the kind words. You hit on it, the reason I spent years writing my own trials down was to show others that they could do it too. When I first read "the little book" I felt I would be the exception to healing. And I struggled greatly from this misconception. Everyone here can heal if they just have some faith in the power they already possess. That's why I began the first page of my book with Lipton's quote. We are far more powerful than we can understand.

Dig up those seeds of doubt and replant them wih new peptide chains. The most common feedback I'm receiving from professionals about my book is that it is helping their clients realize that they can heal too, and that it isn't always easy. Unearthing your life can be tedious but it's well worth the effort. Don't stray too far from Dr. Sarno's message and healing can occur. A huge problem is generated when people begin to parse it out and find "problems" with what he discovered. His message works, keep it simple and have confidence.

Dr. Sopher taught me early on that it isn't just "simple knowledge" that heals people. It is embracing the concept fully, and then getting to work on it. Repetition, thinking, moving, all these things in various combinatons lead to eventual healing. And never doubt that anger is at the root of all these physical problems. Tms is an energy imbalance. The successes are a result of understanding this, the marginalization will result in a lack of healing through increased doubt. Keep it simple--no one here is broken--just confused.

Forums are definately conditioning. I was at my worst pain when every night I sat around reading about "problems." I come here when I can to see if there is anything new or rare being asked. But I parse my attention particles carefully.

I watched Andrew Weil, MD, say on PBS, and read an artcle where he also said, and then read in his book where he said, "Don't get into groups that discuss health problems."

I read Thomas Hamblin's book called Victims of Suggestion and I also lived through some suggestions. In the mid-2000s I was contacted by a woman who told me she was awakened every night with PLMD. Even though I had healed by that time I had never heard of that disorder. I went and read about it, and that same night I was awoken by my arms flinching. I looked at them, shook my head and laughed. How powerfully the subconscius integrates things.

Have you read Murphy's Power of Your Subconscious Mind?

Every time you read, or imagine, or suggest, this notion gets lodged into your unconscious and there it stays. The most powerful guided imagery is fear.

So, the point of this forum is to gather acorns of information, then go ACT on that information. But people tend to keep rereading the same info because they doubt, or have resistance to healing. TMSers are also procrastinaters extraordinaire.

Find balance. Read, think, and then go heal. Also, sometimes we just need a dose of confidence, so it helps to read what others say.

But be careful,
SteveO

That's a good question. Dr. Sarno practiced for 50 years and saw 500 new patients on average per year. So his experience is unparalleled in the TMS process which he became aware of in the 1970s. He has stated that he couldn't recall one person getting worse from taking his advice and ignoring the pain and becoming more active. So it would seem that it is self correcting if the issues are addressed--no residual problems with TMS healing. I had a paralyzed leg, loss of deep tendon reflexes and motor function, I and healed completely with no residual damage.

The tougher and larger question you raised was about "addressing the root cause." We rarely know what the cause is and so rarely know what to address, exactly. So we do a general approach to TMS which has been called many things like "thinking psychologically" or "TMS healing"...etc. It's more like a shotgun approach to healing since few people have access to or can afford a psychoanalyst to go digging for roots.

We do know some common denominators though that allow us to take this general approach. We know the body is locked in survival mode with TMS, in fight/flight/freeze. So my first approach was to unlock the sympathetic nervous system where the fight/flight originates. This is accomplished through relaxation techniques and meditation and breathing, having more fun, etc...and rigorous activity.

Secondly, the good doctor had coined the phrase "think psychologically." I took that to mean "stop and examine my life...look for any event that may have led up to the increased intensity of my pain." I did that and my list was very long, but being a Type T I didn't want to miss anything by not doing the exercise perfectly. What this process does is to try to uncover the culprit that we aren't aware of--the unknown root cause. Some get lucky and hit on it..I didn't. But it did make me reflect which was cathartic.

So you need to stay active and you need to peruse your mind's eye for any possible cause.

Yelling at my brain didn't work for me, journaling didn't work for me. But I've seen these things work in other people so you can't discount any of them as possible healing tools. In my book I threw the kitchen sink at people when it comes to healing possibilities because I had seen them work in others. What works for one person does not always work for another. I've never seen 2 people heal in the same way. I came to realize that we heal according to how we learn, audio, kinesthetic, visual, etc..no matter which method it is the right brain that does the healing and is valuable in the healing process. It must be engaged.

There are many paths to pain-free. Each person must find their own way because part of the process is in what Jung called "individuation" This is the discovery of Self by wading through imperfection and the transcendence of ego. Letting the little child go and embracing the flaws in the self. Healing is often a journey of self discovery with no map.

We got ourselves into this mess and we can lead ourselves out. But there are generic programs that can help as a beginners guide to happiness and vitality. Good health is not the absence of pain and disease. Good health must also contain a vitality, a thirst for life, love and purpose.

Steve

to be continued..

Edited by - Sylvia on 04/03/2013 07:05:29

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  05:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good sylvia
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  13:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best part of Steve's book, in my opinion, is chapter 14 -- "What you need to understand to heal." It is filled with sound advice.

“Living up to an image that you have of yourself or that
other people have of you is inauthentic living – another unconscious role the ego plays.” -- Ekhart Tolle
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  16:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like his words about forums... it struck a chord with me, so thanks for this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000