TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 back pain = 0, and now....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ark

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  07:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I don't post very often but I do get so much from this board when I need the help. So thanks.

Here's the deal. I followed the program. My back pain is gone. I've been great (more than great) for months now...And then suddenly, as of 2 days ago, I am violently in the grips of the worst panic attacks I've ever had. I really thought I'd had them licked. In fact I had just emailed my old therapist 3 days ago to tell her how amazing things have been going lately. I called her last night to say "guess what?" and she's fitting me in today.
Could Hollywood write a more predictible script?

This is normal, right? I'm gonna be OK? Please tell me this is a step forward. I'm a little foggy these days.

Thanks,
Amanda

ladyrat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  07:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know as much as everyone here about TMS, but I'm sure the pain and panic are related. My own severe pain only surfaced once I dealt with and conquered debilitating panic and agoraphobia. So it seems that you have had the reverse experience to mine. I think you're going to be OK. Just hang in there and know that the panic is the same kind of conquerable bugagoo that your pain was. Good luck!!
quote:
Originally posted by ark

Hi all,

I don't post very often but I do get so much from this board when I need the help. So thanks.

Here's the deal. I followed the program. My back pain is gone. I've been great (more than great) for months now...And then suddenly, as of 2 days ago, I am violently in the grips of the worst panic attacks I've ever had. I really thought I'd had them licked. In fact I had just emailed my old therapist 3 days ago to tell her how amazing things have been going lately. I called her last night to say "guess what?" and she's fitting me in today.
Could Hollywood write a more predictible script?

This is normal, right? I'm gonna be OK? Please tell me this is a step forward. I'm a little foggy these days.

Thanks,
Amanda

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  07:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever you get new symptoms you must do the work. This is essential to the reconditioning process.

Many people just don't accept that relief from TMS is a lifelong process. If you get new symptoms it probably indicates you are not dealing with something going on in your life right now. Try your best to figure out what it is.
Go to Top of Page

Fredarm57

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  07:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Panic attacks are a TMS equivalent. Dr. Sarno mentions this in his books as does Dr. Siegel. You can work with panic the same way as with pain using mindfulness techniques--focus on your breathing. Panic is just extreme anxiety about the future. If you can focus on the present, it helps reduce the anxiety. I think seeing a counselor is a good idea to try to find out what is behind the panic.
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  09:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ark.

I had panic attacks before AND after the resolution of my pain issues.I tried xanax for a while,and it will diffuse them,but I haven't had one in about 7 or 8 months....the last one I had was a couple of months before I joined this forum.

When I started reading posts on them,I suppose my brain has given up THAT particular strategy.

I think it was either moose or stryder who posted this link:

http://www.miami-anxiety.com/treatment2.htm

It sounds fascinating,this "paradoxical intention"...about trying to ridicule the anxiety attack by coaxing it to happen (which it supposedly does NOT do)

I haven't had a chance to try out this strategy,but it sounds fascinating...sort of like reverse TMS theory.

Anyways...you're right on time...just another distraction...just like the pain...scary,helpless,fearful of its return...and totally beatable.

Peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

smth416

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  20:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amanda, The best thing you can do to control your panic attacks are breathing exercises. Although anxiety is a TMS equivalent, you must learn to conrol it when it hits.
Try this, when it hits concentrate on slowing your breathing....wait one minute. Again try to slow breathing more, this time until it's almost unnaturally slow...wait another minute. Continue this and then practice mind exercises to examine what is bothering you, if your having an attack there is something below the surface that you must look at no matter how painful.
This technique will put you in control and let your brain know who's boss.It has worked for me. Good luck -Al
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  13:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Panic attacks are not presently my pyche's preferred method of distraction but i've seen them in my wife and I know how powerfully upsetting they can be. I always talk to her about what may be bothering her subconsciously and can usually figure out what the problem is emotionally. There is typically something that happens in the recent past that triggers something from her childhood that needs to be achnowledged. Once that something is revealed- the panic attach ends immediately.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000