TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 I feel hopeless, please help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caroline

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  11:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably boring for you guys. I know everyone goes through this but I can't seem to make any progress. It is not even pain, just constant, annoying neck tension that I just CAN'T shake!

After I read Dr. Sarno's and Dr. Sopher's books, found this board, started journaling, etc. I had two very good days. I felt as if I could control my body and ignore the pain which sort of ebbed and flowed throughout the day. This past week has been terrible: the pain seems to get entrenched before I can even think in the morning (I wake up feeling anxious about it). I know I am supposed to ignore it but I just CAN'T! I am so depressed because I thought I had finally nailed the source of my problems but I am now beginning to feel as if I have to live with "this" for the rest of my life.

The worst part is I KNOW this is mental, I KNOW there is nothing wrong with my neck, back, shoulder etc. I feel as if I am a prisonner of my own brain and in some ways that's even more threatening than physical causes because there does not seem to be anything I can do! No pill to swallow, no operation, no therapy. I feel helpless!

Please give me some insights, I have never been so discouraged...

Caroline

molomaf

119 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  12:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caroline,
Read Dr. Sarno's books over and over until you can quote them. Your brain still isn't accepting it 100%. Once Sarno's words become ingrained into your mind, you will find more peace and less frustration. Stop fighting the pain. As long as you give it importance(by being annoyed with it), it will continue to be there. When you are reading the books, you are taking your mind off the pain or tension.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  14:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Caroline.

Your first post was on 3/10..today is 3/25.You said you had "just read Sarno and Sopher"...so let's say you started on March 1st,plus or minus...

Remember the part about not being anxious,or having expectations of when you think the pain should be gone????

The fact that you KNOW it's mental is why it is trying to fight so hard.....keep up the good fight...use all the strategies(read,write,repudiate,recondition,return to regular activity,etc)

I know it's got to be frustrating,but I think each and every one of us went through the "I believe this stuff 100%..why the F isn't it gone!!!!""

Hang in there and NEVER SURRENDER....you will win.

and No,it is not boring for us....we're all cut from the same piece of fabric.

Go review the 12 reminders...you are NOT helpless!

FIGHT

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Jackie

27 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  18:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Caroline and Baseball65
Caroline...I was about to ask for help...your problem is identical to mine. I thought I was making good progress...thanks to the reply from Baseball65 to my first posting. I see from your answer Marc that I was letting my work on this slip. I was feeling better...I understood the process...but I wasn't rereading the book. I now have my direction back !

Thank you
Jackie
Go to Top of Page

Caroline

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  08:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Michele and Baseball. It's very nice of you to take the time to write a post in response to a call for help. Your advice means a lot!

Best

caroline
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  10:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caroline-Just a suggestion. You can't really ignore the pain. It hurts and it is very real. You can, however, refuse to worry about the pain(ie. what am I going to do if I can't go here or there cause it hurts too much etc.) and instead focus on the cause of the pain which is always some inner turmoil. You can even thank your brain for the pain as an alert for something that needs your immediate attention, whatever might be happening to you emotionally. Get rid of the FEAR of the pain and just use it as your reminder to be introspective.
Go to Top of Page

Fredarm57

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember the process can take some time. You will have good days and bad days (sometimes good hours and bad hours). Consider reading Ron Siegel's "Back Sense"--there are some good mindfulness techniques you can use to get through pain/tension episodes. Try not to focus on controlling the pain/tension--try to accept it as sort of like the weather! Dr. Siegel uses the analogy of "Chinese handcuffs"--the more you struggle, the tighter they get. In addition to thinking about what's bothering you emotionally, try to do something that you enjoy. The first time through is always the hardest, but hang in there, you can do it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000