TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Technology Stress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All1Spirit

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  08:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote this for a stress article - since TMS is a stress disorder I thought it might be of interest

Consider This

With the advent of electronic and on line media what better way for a large percentage of the population to express or create a “False Self”

You are anonymous and can be anything you want – the problem is if you present this false self often enough the brain will start to think it is true and act accordingly. Then you have the cognitive dissonance split.

What a wonderful playground for people with wounded selves – now you can take on any identity, persona and look you want. You can even put your face on another body.

I know young people are really involved in technology and many have never known a time when reality could not be altered with a keystroke.

#65279;

This lack of external consistency is extremely damaging to the human psyche – it is like living in a world where the ground is not solid and everything is situational. Simply you can not trust anything – not even your eyes and ears.

If you ever watch an animal that has found a change in their environment you see the stress involved in change. Watch a cat circle and tap something new on the floor. Unlike a cat humans have a huge cortex and a drive for novel exploration. However we have the same basic limbic system that elicits a stress response to the lack of external consistency.

In a nutshell our technology is creating generations of people that have no roots in reality. A hundred years ago nothing much changed and you probably had the same friends and neighbors all your life. If you saw it, it was real....no deception, no internal chaos over the what is true.

Alvin Toffler was right back in 1970– we are becoming products of future shock!!

"Around and Around the Circle We Go....
The Answer Sits In The Middle and Knows..."

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  08:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my nephew can do texting much faster than he can talk. His oral communication skill is very poor. His parents now has to send him to boy scout and all kind of camps to force him to have more face to face activities.

technology can be a double edge knife. I've seen people with thousand of Facebook friends and not a single real life friend.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  08:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So true my dear.
Have you read this yet? Fascinating take on the false self.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0393340546/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363099182&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  23:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, Plum. The amazon.com reviews are, as usual, well worth reading:
http://www.amazon.com/Virtually-You-Dangerous-Powers-E-Personality/product-reviews/0393340546/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Clearly, the decision to be as real as possible is a wise one. Still, I'd rather pass time talking with relatively anonymous, like-minded people on the Internet than trying to connect with neighbors and co-workers with whom I have almost nothing in common. Even good friends can take only so much reality and still face you in the morning.

"It's worth considering that tms is not a treatment but rather an unfolding of the self, and a way of living as an emotionally aware and engaged soul." Plum

Edited by - njoy on 03/12/2013 23:14:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000