TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Finger numbness long after neck is gone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MPC55

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  22:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out about TMS while suffering a lot of pain from, as docs told me, a herniated disc. I read all Sarno's stuff a went to see a doc who studied with him in MN. I was totally pain free in days. It's been over 5 years and no pain!

However, I have had mild numbness in my pinky and ring finger of my right hand the entire time. Is that a sign of nerve damage? Sarno says a bulging disc can't cause that.

Anyone have a similar story! I'm wondering what can be done about it. I am a pianist and though I have learned to work with it, it's still a drag.

Thanks,

Mike

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  05:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

Many people here have found these keys to healing, compiled by a physican active on this message board, to be helpful:
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7765&whichpage=1

Note his key number 21 where he says,

"When an event that bothers you happens, if you don't try to resolve it (bring the tension level/hyped up mode down first before carrying on), this will lead to symptoms. I think this is what is meant by repression. The tension level is allowed to go wild, and is ignored without attempts to resolve it in one's own mind, without calming down about it, or without reconditioning one's self. Another way of looking at this is there is the thought, I can finally relax after so and so is completed, so you are on edge until you are doing what you have to do. This is wrong thinking and you have to learn to be relaxed while doing whatever it is you are doing."

The author, who goes by the name of Ace here, also has stated in another post the following:

"The urge to just be done with what we are doing and to go on to the next task is the number one cause of tms and everything is compounded on top of this. It is so ingrained that most will not see it even when they are told that it is there. It took me a long time to see this and figure this out through deductive reasoning. It also explains why our society has a lot of back pain but it is non-existent in the tribal community."

It's fortunate that you have a relatively mild form of TMS. Following these keys will help you to recover as well as remain symptom free. Give it time and be patient.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/26/2013 06:00:37
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  13:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, I am also a pianist and have a lot of violinist friends. Many of them have this in their left hand from their neck. Although it is said that everyone has TMS to a degree, many of these folks do have a neck that acts up once in a while and it travels to their pinky. I don't necessarily attribute that to TMS since it's so common among violinists. It's happened to me but not for the length of time as yours. You could get an EMG test but I did and all they said was slight carpal tunnel and it just went away. I've had tingling toes when my back hurts...it's all connected but as long as you're okay otherwise and not in pain, it sounds more like a nuisance but not scary.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  16:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way, this is clearly TMS!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  17:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if these violinists place a lot of pressure on themselves to perfect their performance? Let's face it, it is not a particularly east instrument.

Carpal tunnel is 100% TMS. That is not even disputable.

"The urge to just be done with what we are doing and to go on to the next task is the number one cause of tms and everything is compounded on top of this. It is so ingrained that most will not see it even when they are told that it is there. It took me a long time to see this and figure this out through deductive reasoning. It also explains why our society has a lot of back pain but it is non-existent in the tribal community." --- Ace
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  17:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn, I guess you could say that about any "occupational hazard". Carpet layers get knee problems, violinists get neck strain and nerve pain that travels to their pinky. I don't believe it's all psychological. Stuff happens sometimes that's not TMS. My job entails a lot of walking and after many hours, my feet hurt. My mother's feet would hurt after a long day of shopping.

Violinists could be under pressure and surely this could cause TMS pain but if 90% of violinists get this same tingling pinky, it seems to me to have some nerve entrapment involvement. I got it and had never heard it from anyone else so it wasn't based on any conditioning theory. I'm a firm believe in TMS as I have had this since childhood but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  04:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The area in most use is the one mostly affected when the person is in a hyped up mode (tms mode). This explains what is stated above.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000