TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Starting Exercise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RikR

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  06:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been a competitive and adventure athlete all my life. I know what it's like to play through pain and to push myself to get the maximum effort.

I see many posts on this and other TMS forums that say just get back into physical activity. I went back look through Sorno's books last night and this is not what he says, he says once the pain is gone or substantially gone to get back into exercise.

When a muscle is tight, is not properly oxygenated or is deconditioned your risk real injury and asking that muscle to perform.

Now if your fear of exercise is strictly phobic, but certainly you can go out and push through the phobia and begin to exercise.

Admonishing people to just get out there and start exercising is unwise and goes against basic physiology.

As much as I tried getting back into exercise has only led to more pain and more disability. It is evident that my body is not ready for this step.

As I did more research into other TMS writers I don't see any them telling people to just get back in exercise if the pain is severe. We need to test her own limits and know our own body and absolutely not use willpower to overcome muscles that are not recovered to where they are ready for exercise.

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  06:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RikR,

This point was discussed recently on another thread. I wish I could find it, but indeed Sarno days say to resume normal activity once the pain is gone or substantially gone. This means that other work has to be done first.

Ace, who recovered from TMS referring to Sarno and adding on his own methods, says in his keys numbers 12, 22 and 23:

12. Be active if possible independent of the symptoms (not for overcoming your illness, but to be comfortable with your body) and do things you were afraid to do gradually, not to challenge, but just to do them. (I.e. if I play soccer and there is back pain, I will not think of using my back more or strain with it more to get it "used" to activity. I would just play soccer, and if in pain, just accept it and use affirmations if necessary). As you get into the game, you'll probably forget about it. This activity can be slowly and gradually increased as not to increase the strain. You want to coerce you body back to normality.

22. When you heal, the pain more so fades away, so there is no battle that is then eventually won. It's ok to be easy on yourself and on the symptomatic body part when the tension level is very high. Don’t feel you have something to prove or that you have let it beat you. Bring the tension level down first then you will see that your symptoms have subsided enough for you to function. The healing process is done very gradually, with a very gradual improvement in symptoms and ability to do things you were unable to do before. You cannot do anything physical to heal (which includes fighting).

23. Everything to your best should be done with peace, calmness, forgiveness and ease (WITHOUT STRAIN or WITH FUNCTIONAL RELAXATION). Some people talk, behave and function in a strained way and this is to be recognized and modified for cure to occur. Observing a video of yourself may help to clue you in on this. Also be good to yourself.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/25/2013 06:59:14
Go to Top of Page

RikR

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  07:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad you clarified this Shawn - some posts sugested you should play through the pain. This is dangerous
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  07:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1 has also said this in one of his posts about biggest mistakes in using his approach:

Challenging (fighting) a symptom is also a big mistake.

I would definitely say that in my experience that has been my Truth also !!

RSR

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 02/25/2013 07:52:11
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  07:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace writes in another post the following observation:

"The urge to just be done with what we are doing and to go on to the next task is the number one cause of tms and everything is compounded on top of this. It is so ingrained that most will not see it even when they are told that it is there. It took me a long time to see this and figure this out through deductive reasoning. It also explains why our society has a lot of back pain but it is non-existent in the tribal community."
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a muscle is just tight, isnt using it going to help loosen it up BY oxygenating it?
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pspa123

If a muscle is just tight, isnt using it going to help loosen it up BY oxygenating it?

The source of your problem, as hard as it is to believe, is not physical. This is the number one message Sarno has taught us. Yes, be active if possible, but don't seek to challenge your symptoms. As Ace noted, "You cannot do anything physical to heal (which includes fighting)." Read again the keys I posted in this thread and reflect on them a bit.

Let me be a bit more concrete here. It is a nice day where I am at so, in a few moments, I am going to go out for a walk. I will walk not to challenge any symptoms I may have, but because walking outside in the fresh air is healthy on so many levels. But what happens if or when I experience an increase of intensity in my symptoms? Should I wade through my pain or should I back off? How do I react? What specifically must I do?

I am not going to answer that question. Instead, I want you to go back and read Ace's 28 keys to healing and try to determine what he recommends in this situation. Let me know......

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/25/2013 08:22:38
Go to Top of Page

RikR

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PSPA

If your muscles are tight due to over use or lack of fitness then yes gentle movement is the prescription. If the central nervous system has them in constant tension due to sympathetic activation then you are not only fighting a losing battle but can make TMS worse.

Muscles contain proprioceptors as well as stretch and pain receptors. If you activate these by pushing through pain they will send an alarm signal to the brain causing more sympathetic dominance – exactly what TMS recovery is trying to stop.

The brains response to alarm notification from these receptors is to muscle brace even more to protect critical organs and structures from impending harm.

Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  09:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rik that is logical but in my experience i have very tight leg muscles due in large part to tension but when i amworking out and distracted and engaged they relax and feel much much better.
Go to Top of Page

RikR

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  09:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adrenalin is a pain killer - I can run 26 miles (or could) and feel great - then the next day I can hardly walk. Watch for a rebound
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  10:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RikR, What I found to be a life saver in my struggle with TMS is swimming. I had terrible problems with tight muscles, my right hip was literally locked up. It was mostly all tension. The water will support your weight while you stretch and loosen up. You will have minimal pain in the water. I did light aerobics and stretching in the pool at first. I really think that swimming is the best exercise to get you going.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  13:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RikR,

I’m impressed at 65 you can (or could) run 26 miles, I thought I was active as I can swim 1 mile, kayak and in summer windsurf excessively. I nearly signed up for a mini marathon this year, but had reservations about my age! I find at 65 I can do most activities including house remodeling, yard work etc. I always get the effect of rebound, sore muscles and achy joints. Soreness usually dissipates the next day when I then start to feel really good and relaxed.

I had a similar discussion this year with Dave about this subject and consider my activities as “Dr.Sarno’s normal activities”. The main thing is I try to do them passively and non-combatively. In addition I do not have actual pain or spasms while doing these activities, if I do I usually back off, slow down and reflect on whether I am angry, aggressive or combative. You cannot passively swing an axe, this would be ineffective, but you can slow down, take breaks, get in a comfortable stance, and even sharpen the axe for efficiency.

I look back at how bad my sciatica back was in the 90’s, when in despair I thought it was all over, I realize I am no longer afraid of any exercise pains as I know them for what they are temporary, life is good.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Stopped Wiki Edu Program in lieu of own journalling
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

RikR

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  13:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andy

My marathon days are long over and now with TMS I am lucky to walk a block. I know from years of serious training that my body is still strong and that while TMS has my number "right now" that I will be back to doing the things I love...

See the message I jsut gave my nervous system ...learning!!
Go to Top of Page

RikR

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  13:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Chicken

The only way I swim is on the bottom of the pool – I sink. This is the reason I never did a triathlon. I have a very dense bone body. In college I had a couple of African American track buddies and we had to take two terms of swimming. We three were the worst...even the swimming coach said some AF males just sink.

Wish I could!!
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  15:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RikR

Hey Andy

My marathon days are long over and now with TMS I am lucky to walk a block. I know from years of serious training that my body is still strong and that while TMS has my number "right now" that I will be back to doing the things I love...

See the message I jsut gave my nervous system ...learning!!

RikR you are correct-on p.141 of the devided mind sarno say wait till the pain is gone
in healing back pain he said wait till it subsides
he just updated his book-thats why i told ya i love the divided mind
ive tryed both and i know that letting the pain subside to a 0 can be very beneficial with your kind of pain.
now the pain i had, well i tended to wait till it got doun to a 1 or 2 before hitting the gym-thats the way it worked fine for me
heres the point-you have to somewhat push yourself at times-but not to extremities
i like how lee haney-mr olypia said it-stimulate dont annilate
i only could exercise after i got those repressions and stressors took care of anyway
looks like your will is growing by leaps and bounds RikR-
god bless
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  16:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to share this quote from Ekhart Tolle's "A New Earth." Perhaps it will be applicable on this thread:

"Whenever tragic loss occurs, you either resist or you yield. Some
people become bitter or deeply resentful; others become compassionate,
wise, and loving. Yielding means inner acceptance of what is. You are open
to life. Resistance is an inner contraction, a hardening of the shell of the ego.

"You are closed. Whatever action you take in a state of inner resistance
(which we could also call negativity) will create more outer resistance, and
the universe will not be on your side; life will not be helpful. If the shutters
are closed, the sunlight cannot come in. When you yield internally, when you
surrender, a new dimension of consciousness opens up. If action is possible
or necessary, your action will be in alignment with the whole and supported
by creative intelligence, the unconditioned consciousness which in a state of
inner openness you become one with. Circumstances and people then
become helpful, cooperative. Coincidences happen. If no action is possible,
you rest in the peace and inner stillness that come with surrender. You rest in
God."

"The urge to just be done with what we are doing and to go on to the next task is the number one cause of tms and everything is compounded on top of this. It is so ingrained that most will not see it even when they are told that it is there. It took me a long time to see this and figure this out through deductive reasoning. It also explains why our society has a lot of back pain but it is non-existent in the tribal community." --- Ace

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/26/2013 16:01:06
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  17:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RikR,

You don't have to be able to swim and you don't have to even be in the deep end of the pool. You can still do water aerobics in shallow water. What would happen if you tried to run in the water, for example. Let's say waist high water. If you are concerned about sinking, just wear a tube around your waist. We do a lot of our routines with a tube or a noodle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000