TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Ace1 Keys to Healing - Common Mistakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  21:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1 has made a number of posts regarding "common mistakes" using his Keys to Healing. (http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7765) Just wanted to post this as a reference for those threads:

• The 2 biggest errors in using my method
quote:
The first is not using the affirmations like I describe...

The second is impatience...

Here's the whole post and the entire thread:
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8175

• Common Mistakes
on the thread: "Final Ace of the Day - Day 27" (4th post from the top of the list):
quote:

Ok, common mistakes like said before not using the affirmations and not giving it enough time. Another one is not recognizing that you have an urge to be doing something else or rush. It is very helpful to see this to change it. One more is letting the pain condition or sensitize you more to a situation. Challenging (fighting) a symptom is also a big mistake.

The best summary is that you have basically conditioned yourself to be sensitized to various situations, thoughts and to certain people by repeatedly straining to them (acting intense, outside of what your body is capable of doing). You might be sensitized to everything...

The whole post (which is great!) and the entire thread:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8200

• Reading too many books
quote:
A common mistake is for one to read too many books when they could be working on their habitual strain instead. I think the yield of return from most of the additional books read is very low once you've read some basic books listed in my keys. Once you see the concepts at work, I strongly recommend forget additional tms books to read. Just work on your recovery.

The entire thread:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8217

Hope this is helpful,
RSR

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  05:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I compiled this from Ace's postings:

Some of the biggest errors in using this method

The first is not using the affirmations like I describe. Using them as best as you can repeatably EVERY time your having symptoms or psychologically bothered and around sleep. Its good to think of the words, but just saying them mindlessly also works. We sometimes feel we can accomplish the goal of relaxation by just "relaxing" which in my experience, although maybe helpful, is never sufficient. I would NOT have recovered if I did not do this, even if I did everything else on my list. Sometime it feels "boring, or its not important." It is the most important. Sometime because we don't get the immediate result you think "this doesn't work", but it does, only over time though. This is #1 error.

The second is impatience. We think we that we should be able to heal quick. I don't understand this logic especially since it took years to get to the state you are currently at. Actually if I see you tell me you are cured in a couple months, I am very, very suspicious that you only had a placebo cure, which is very, very common among people who treat themselves with the TMS mode of treatment. I see that if someone doesn't get a result in 3 weeks they are searching all over to try and see if there is anything else that will cure them and this never works. You may say well, how would I know if what your saying is right? How do i know Im on the right track? Well, the only way to see this is to at least give it 3 months, and ask yourself - Am I in anyway(in the big picture) better or the same? If the answer is slightly better, than your doing it right, if not then there maybe something you're missing. I actually think those keys I wrote can help everyone, but it definitely takes a lot of time.

Another one is not recognizing that you have an urge to be doing something else or rush. It is very helpful to see this to change it. One more is letting the pain condition or sensitize you more to a situation. Challenging (fighting) a symptom is also a big mistake.

The best summary is that you have basically conditioned yourself to be sensitized to various situations, thoughts and to certain people by repeatedly straining to them (acting intense, outside of what your body is capable of doing). You might be sensitized to everything. You also have now formed habits of strain that perpetuate the sensitization that are with you all day. The biggest most universal one in TMS is the habit of the urge to rush or impatience (to be faster than you can be). To sit through life especially if you have pain and don't run away, but now act at ease. Use affirmations to help you achieve this state. Use the affirmations through your day. The affirmations also help to change some bad beliefs about yourself. Do not use the affirmations in a rushed, intense way as this will defeat their purpose. They are tools to help you achieve your goal of relaxation. Any tool in life can be used in the wrong way. Sometimes just sitting still is helpful, sit and just let go as if there were no worries. All this will not get rid of you pain right away, but in essence you are reconditioning yourself, you are doing the opposite to what lead you into pain. You are not letting the pain sensitize you too. If you strain more(become more hyped up or become more intense) because of the pain in a particular situation that causes pain, of course that will make you more conditioned to that situation next time.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  11:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bumping this.
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  14:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is a realistic expectation for results? im not saying i want to put a timetable on my recovery but just a general overview of how long this takes to see results so I dont get freaked out after week 3 that Im doing this stuff and not seeing anything change. Thats one thing that has really hindered me in my recovery. I'll do these strategies for a couple weeks, dont see them working, and get scared.
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  14:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also how do you handle conditioning fears associated with actions you're doing? Like for me it would be using the computer. I know the computer isn't causing my pain but that conditioning is still deep in my consciousness.
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  16:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
green,

I am not Ace but feel I can help with this,

I think that you getting anxious about not seeing results is what is going wrong. Also asking for when you should see results isn't helping. Ace is right with saying you shouldn't rush as not seeing results will make you angry or anxious and ignores the fact that a sensitized body needs its time to become less sensitized.

Fearing certain situations/locations... For example, you sit down behind your computer and fear it will bring symptoms. First of all, accept and don't fight the fact that you react that way and feel anxious. Try to remember yourself that what you are feeling (fear or pain) is real but harmless and that in time it will get better. I think it is a perfect moment to use Ace's affirmations. "I am calm, relaxed....". Go do your computer things unless any symptoms become intolerable. Don't despair, feel proud you did it and be confident that in time you will get better at it until one day you will be able to computer for hours on end.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  19:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you gigalos for the good advice. Total cure usually takes a few years to be honest if you start out with constant pain. That does not mean you don't improve along the way. Therefore as gigalos said, don't put any time limit because you can't do anything more anyways and there really is no other option in my mind. What you do want to do however is, after a few months of work, reassess yourself to see if your making any progress as an overall picture. The answer should be at least a little improvement. If the answer is not this, reassess what you may be doing wrong. Not enough practice, not working on this throughout your day. Not using the affirmations enough bc they are boring. Not trying to slow down and calm your nervous system down. Someone or something continues to irritate you to the point that you can't stand.

Don't avoid the computer, go to it and act like it doesn't bother you, don't fight or challenge but go back with an easy approach and be gentle and slow trying not to rush whatever your doing and use your affirmations in the background, just as gigalos has said.
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  12:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fearing certain situations/locations... For example, you sit down behind your computer and fear it will bring symptoms. First of all, accept and don't fight the fact that you react that way and feel anxious. Try to remember yourself that what you are feeling (fear or pain) is real but harmless and that in time it will get better. I think it is a perfect moment to use Ace's affirmations. "I am calm, relaxed....". Go do your computer things unless any symptoms become intolerable. Don't despair, feel proud you did it and be confident that in time you will get better at it until one day you will be able to computer for hours on end.

hi gigalos,

if the symptoms become intolerable, what should i do? im at working and i use the computer full time each day. I dont know if I should just get away from the computer for a while or what. i am using the affirmations now when im sitting at the computer. when im sitting here and notice the pain sensations, i go to the affirmations. so i do go on the computer for hours a day right now its just my eyes tighten from the muscle tension due to the stress and thats really hard to handle at times.

its obvious that im very hypersensitive to anything that happens to my eyes. im lazer focused on it, so i do need a lot more time doing this stuff.

ace, the question i have for you is that before i even start the day on the computer at work im feeling the tension and tightness in my eyes. pretty much right when i wake up i notice it (this could be from worrying the night before i dont know). for some reason i wake up with the symptoms even though i shouldn't and that sets me up for anxiousness throughout the day. when i wake up with this tightness, should i immediately go right to the affirmations? im trying to start out my dad on a good note rather than beginning it with pain and then battling anxiety over the pain the rest of the day.
Go to Top of Page

stayfit65

54 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  12:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,

I am not Ace either, but I have sitting pain...mostly at work. Just this wk I started sying the affirmation, "I sit comfortably at work." Even though there is pain. But amazingly after just one week it has improved...yesterday was pretty much pain free. You could try something like this with your typing...I know it is helping me. Ace was also kind enough to point out that I needed to be forgiving of those that hurt me, because the prisoner that it frees is YOU. So I added the affirmation, "I forgive and let go," and man I am telling you that one works, too!!!!

Take care, and hope this helps.
Stayfit
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  15:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgreen97

hi gigalos,

if the symptoms become intolerable, what should i do? im at working and i use the computer full time each day. I dont know if I should just get away from the computer for a while or what. i am using the affirmations now when im sitting at the computer. when im sitting here and notice the pain sensations, i go to the affirmations. so i do go on the computer for hours a day right now its just my eyes tighten from the muscle tension due to the stress and thats really hard to handle at times.

its obvious that im very hypersensitive to anything that happens to my eyes. im lazer focused on it, so i do need a lot more time doing this stuff.

ace, the question i have for you is that before i even start the day on the computer at work im feeling the tension and tightness in my eyes. pretty much right when i wake up i notice it (this could be from worrying the night before i dont know). for some reason i wake up with the symptoms even though i shouldn't and that sets me up for anxiousness throughout the day. when i wake up with this tightness, should i immediately go right to the affirmations? im trying to start out my dad on a good note rather than beginning it with pain and then battling anxiety over the pain the rest of the day.

I couldn't sit in front of a pc either for other reasons, back and neck pain. What I did was limiting the time of working. I think the main thing is that you don't strain yourself from toughening through. Try to accept any pain, don't fight it or fear it continuously. Might that happen or if the pain becomes bad (pretty subjective, I know), don't feel guilty or disappointed, just turn it off for a while or even for the rest of the day if necessary. Use your affirmations and try to stay positive. Give it time!
It isn't unusual from the experiences that I have read that someone wakes up with symptoms. In my case symptoms rose during the day, but it's different for everyone and the pattern can change too. My main symptom came when I woke up one morning. I wouldn't be surprised if in your dreams you can tense up and give rise to symptoms, but as Claire Weekes also wrote, a sensitized person can even get symptoms from the shock of waking up.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  07:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Ace and all for this wonderful and helpful thread. Last night when I couldn't sleep because of pain I said over and over to myself "I am calm and peaceful." I also said "I am healed and healthy" repeatedly and I fell to sleep!
Go to Top of Page

stocktrader

30 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2014 :  16:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bumping this UP.

---------------------------
"I am calmed relaxed, patient, and confident"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: